SixSpeed’s Deskmate build

sixspeed

Sup reefers - pulled the trigger on a Deskmate AIO tank to put in the master bedroom. I’ve always wanted a nano setup in the room to watch at night in bed and this fit the bill perfectly (and minimal water has to go up the stairs!). Mostly want to do flowing softies / LPS. Excited to get this cycled and add some frags I’ve been collecting. 

Tank: Deskmate 4.8g AIO

Stand: Random drawer stand

Light: Deskmate Light 

Pump: Sicce Micra 90GPH 

Filter: 3D printed basket & floss pad

Rock: custom dry rock formation from @CuttleFishandCoral

Sand: CaribSea Fiji Pink 

Salt: Red Sea 

Off the bat -

The pump that came with it is incredibly loud, not going to cut it with being in the bedroom. Switched out for a Sicce pump and it’s night/day difference. Can’t hear a thing. 

Replaced filter sock with a 3D printed basket & cut a few round pieces of filter floss pad to put in them. 

Light is getting switched out for an AI Prime 16 - just waiting on the stand to come in. The light that came with it is cheap as expected, only on/off settings and sits more in the blue/white area. 

Added some live rock in the back sump area to help with cycling the tank. 

Next - 

ATO setup. Tank needs water every 48hrs. Searching for a container to fit in the top drawer. It’s large enough to hold a decent sized container - I’m estimating enough to top off for a little more than a week. 

(Also what do y’all use for taking pics? I downloaded the “aquarium cam” app on iPhone but feel like it still doesn’t get the best shots. Is there a clip on filter to use?) 

Cheers 

-SS

IMG_3421.jpeg

IMG_3412.jpeg

IMG_3413.jpeg

IMG_3414.jpeg

IMG_3415.jpeg

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum. 😊 I very much enjoyed having a tank in my bedroom but would have gone with an AIO and smaller for ease of maintenance.

The rock structure is a perfect fit !

As far as taking pictures with your phone most people use a clip on set like this :

https://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Choice-Coral-Filter-Phone/dp/B07L26R3RT/ref=asc_df_B07L26R3RT/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310039037276&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7084714301797948468&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032956&hvtargid=pla-623914607889&psc=1

Warning... Phones cameras have gotten bigger.    I bought gen1 of these lenses, gen2 of these lenses. ... then got latest phone (a few years ago) - and I need to use the Bigger version of these camera clip ons.       Which means 52mm for my phone.  (iphone13 pro max)

I use this regularly.  Dramatically improves tank pictures

https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/2021-extra-wide-52mm-smartphone-coral-lens-kit-4-lens-w-storage-box-orphek/

• Like 3

Thanks for the input on the apps/lenses. I’ll give them a try! 

Upon putting on the new AI Prime 16 light I noticed the lens was slightly melted by a couple lights - taking it apart tonight and checking the damage. Might just be an easy lens swap. 

here’s a day shot of the rock / no light - 

IMG_3427.jpeg

• Like 1

Heater died!

Not sure what the deal is, fairly new heater but have tried everything. Looks like it went out middle of the night so temps dropped dramatically, I have a spare coming tomorrow (all other heaters are in tanks, this was the spare. I know I know, redundancy) but afraid it will get too cold and kill the live rock in the back. 

On 9/26/2023 at 11:41 AM, Sandfab said:

For phone pictures I have recently started using a free app called SILKYPIXAQUA with good results. I rarely break out the filter any more. These pics were taken with the app no filters

SILKYPIXAQUA did the trick! Check these shots out from my frag tank - 

IMG_3437.jpeg

IMG_3460.jpeg

IMG_3459.jpeg

Edited by sixspeed
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Sup! Added a couple things - 

- Tunze Nano ATO w/ 1g reservoir 

- eshopps media basket

- chemi-pure blue bag 

- pistol shrimp & CUC 

- zoas

Heading out of town but when I get back, adding some more coral and a goby/clown pair possibly. Might switch around some frags from my other tank. We’ll see - loving this nano though. Super easy.

IMG_3758.jpegIMG_3769.jpeg 

• Like 1