WTB: Asterina Starfish

Flash21

5 hours ago, Bevo5 said:

I'm in NE portland and I will happily give you dozens from my invert QT tank. They're mostly pretty small but there are a couple larger ones. They're all over my glass at the moment so relatively easy pickings. 

I’m interesting in expanding my clean up crew would you recommend these in a reef tank? I’ve read that the brown ones will go after weak/dying zoas, do yours do this?

1 hour ago, Leonardomanzano said:

I’m interesting in expanding my clean up crew would you recommend these in a reef tank? I’ve read that the brown ones will go after weak/dying zoas, do yours do this?

I am 100% not an expert in anything related to his hobby, or anything else for that matter. But I would suggest not introducing these to your display tank. Once they're in, they're in - and I don't know if they fill a niche that you can't fill with something else less impossible to get rid of. BUT - mine are the white/grey kind and they don't seem to hurt anything. They're in my invert QT so I've put all types of corals in there with them.

14 minutes ago, Bevo5 said:

I am 100% not an expert in anything related to his hobby, or anything else for that matter. But I would suggest not introducing these to your display tank. Once they're in, they're in - and I don't know if they fill a niche that you can't fill with something else less impossible to get rid of. BUT - mine are the white/grey kind and they don't seem to hurt anything. They're in my invert QT so I've put all types of corals in there with them.

Oh okay! If it’s cool I’d like to get some from you!

i have a second empty tank I’ll place some heathy zoas in there and see how they do!

are you available today?

15 hours ago, Leonardomanzano said:

Oh okay! If it’s cool I’d like to get some from you!

i have a second empty tank I’ll place some heathy zoas in there and see how they do!

are you available today?

See my above post. Don’t get them! 

100% starfish. Asterinas are not good enough for a pair or let alone one unless you have an infestation. It's just not their preferred food. I found they prefer the process of subduing larger stars (preferably with the help of the mate) and keeping them alive while they feed will last about 1-3 weeks given the size of the star. If the shrimp aren't force feeding the star then it'll last less. I never cut stars up to regen. Not worth it when the shrimp can do it way better for less. 

Mostly chocolate chip starfish (have my own bulk supplier) and occasionally more ornate stars that were damaged in transit. Big ornate stars will last you over a month given your tank has the food to feed the star and the shrimps decide its easy to hold down. They'll need a nook big enough to pull the star since they'll start guarding it. They cut off the sensory tentacles and keep it on its back, female usually stays hidden but close by to feed and keep the star down. The male will drag food back and do a lot of the grunt work. 

Asterinas are used for the young if they can be made viable. I've attempted breeding them for a while. Currently missing the food source in their second to last molt. I'm considering dedicated a system to asterinas to cultivate larval forms to see if that's the trick. 

Feeding hearty meals mainly to keep the females molting and spawning. 

Picture included is my newest pairing taking down their 4th star together. 

Screenshot_20230307_094237_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Eatfrenchfries
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Eatfrenchfries said:

100% starfish. Asterinas are not good enough for a pair or let alone one unless you have an infestation. It's just not their preferred food. I found they prefer the process of subduing larger stars (preferably with the help of the mate) and keeping them alive while they feed will last about 1-3 weeks given the size of the star. If the shrimp aren't force feeding the star then it'll last less. I never cut stars up to regen. Not worth it when the shrimp can do it way better for less. 

Mostly chocolate chip starfish (have my own bulk supplier) and occasionally more ornate stars that were damaged in transit. Big ornate stars will last you over a month given your tank has the food to feed the star and the shrimps decide its easy to hold down. They'll need a nook big enough to pull the star since they'll start guarding it. They cut off the sensory tentacles and keep it on its back, female usually stays hidden but close by to feed and keep the star down. The male will drag food back and do a lot of the grunt work. 

Asterinas are used for the young if they can be made viable. I've attempted breeding them for a while. Currently missing the food source in their second to last molt. I'm considering dedicated a system to asterinas to cultivate larval forms to see if that's the trick. 

Feeding hearty meals mainly to keep the females molting and spawning. 

Picture included is my newest pairing taking down their 4th star together. 

That's  a pretty awesome description.   Chocolate Chip Starfish.  @Flash21 - time to just go buy one, which will give you time to look for a source.

18 hours ago, obrien.david.j said:

That's  a pretty awesome description.   Chocolate Chip Starfish.  @Flash21 - time to just go buy one, which will give you time to look for a source.

Something that is my last resort.  As I’m not to the point to get rid of him yet so if so I’ll pick up one.  I have not seen my tanks in over 18 days and when lights turn on I can asses my tanks this morning.  

8 hours ago, Flash21 said:

Is this something that you can do Vis? 

If so thank you both for the getting and giving of Stars. 

Sure! I don’t have a ton but I’ll bring as many as I can . 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vis said:

Sure! I don’t have a ton but I’ll bring as many as I can . 

Thanks. I counted at least 50 I’m sure I have 100s in my tank but everyone counts.  I originally got one about 4 months ago and he is slowly getting my tank under control.