Sps fragging..superglue or epoxy?

islandVib3s

I'm a super glue person.  Thick gel glue, stick in frag, spray with insta-set.  Wait two minutes.  Dip frag in cup of tank water to wash off the insta-set, put frag in tank.   (dump cup of water down drain, not back into tank)

I agree with @Manny Tavan, I like that I can snap frags off their plug and then glue them directly on the rocks.   

image.png

All this being said, the next time I do frags - I'm going to try the sample of SeaTak I got.

• Like 2

Epoxy will also need superglue for both at the plug end and the frag end. The advantage you can can cut and attached frag without has to level the bottom of frag and skinny branch frag will attach easily using epoxy & superglue. Also for encrusting and sps it has a base to start growing faster. Epoxy and gel glue combo also work good for in water attaching frag to rockwork.

For using glue only thick gel type cyanoacrylate glue is the best. I usually just use water to make the glue set quicker. I put a dab of gel glue on the plug and a dab on the base of the frag dip in water, pull out then wait 20 second then attach.

To avoid bubble I always dip the plug in ro / tank water before fragging for 1 minute, dry the top then apply gel glue and attach the frag.

Edited by goldenbasketreef
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, goldenbasketreef said:

Epoxy will also need superglue for both at the plug end and the frag end. The advantage you can can cut and attached frag without has to level the bottom of frag and skinny branch frag will attach easily using epoxy & superglue. Also for encrusting and sps it has a base to start growing faster. Epoxy and gel glue combo also work good for in water attaching frag to rockwork.

For using glue only thick gel type cyanoacrylate glue is the best. I usually just use water to make the glue set quicker. I put a dab of gel glue on the plug and a dab on the base of the frag dip in water, pull out then wait 20 second then attach.

To avoid bubble I always dip the plug in ro / tank water before fragging for 1 minute, dry the top then apply gel glue and attach the frag.

Nice!  thanks

2 hours ago, goldenbasketreef said:

Yea I thought I heard epoxy promotes faster encrusting somewhere.  Well I'm giving it a go with birdsnest thin branches to see the outcome. I actually used the epoxy to wrap around the frag then formed a fat stalk base and superglued between the plug and epoxy. I found epoxy sticks at a cheap price so I have a bunch. It's just tricky making small mixes for frags,will need to frag in bulk lol.

4 hours ago, obrien.david.j said:

I'm a super glue person.  Thick gel glue, stick in frag, spray with insta-set.  Wait two minutes.  Dip frag in cup of tank water to wash off the insta-set, put frag in tank.   (dump cup of water down drain, not back into tank)

I agree with @Manny Tavan, I like that I can snap frags off their plug and then glue them directly on the rocks.   

image.png

All this being said, the next time I do frags - I'm going to try the sample of SeaTak I got.

Have you had any problems getting insta set on the coral itself? That stuff is basically gasoline 

3 minutes ago, islandVib3s said:

Yea I thought I heard epoxy promotes faster encrusting somewhere.  

Actually, that was one of the claims of SeaTak.  It's natural based, and according to the creator, encourages faster encrusting.

1 minute ago, islandVib3s said:

Have you had any problems getting insta set on the coral itself? That stuff is basically gasoline 

Invariably, I always get some insta-set on the base of the corals.  (It's a spray)   Haven't had a problem.

• Like 1

A lot of people using insta-set without problem.

Not all epoxy putty have the same ingredient, some has metal in it. Also some for aquarium has color added and this tend to make the epoxy set quicker compare to the natural epoxy.

I have use this brand for many years without problem, AquaMend Epoxy Putty Stick. This is the base for all aquarium epoxy in the market.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, goldenbasketreef said:

A lot of people using insta-set without problem.

Not all epoxy putty have the same ingredient, some has metal in it. Also some for aquarium has color added and this tend to make the epoxy set quicker compare to the natural epoxy.

I have use this brand for many years without problem, AquaMend Epoxy Putty Stick. This is the base for all aquarium epoxy in the market.

I wonder if instant ocean hold fast epoxy sticks have metal or if it's natural 🤔  thanks for the tips Rudy! 🤙

2 hours ago, islandVib3s said:

I wonder if instant ocean hold fast epoxy sticks have metal or if it's natural 🤔  thanks for the tips Rudy! 🤙

All major brands of reef epoxy putty is manufactured by Aquamend with the addition of color pigment, then rebranded.

A lot of cheaper industrial epoxy putty may have ingredient that is not friendly for aquarium life.

• Thanks 1