Freezing Rain in the Forecast

AquaKey

Looks like we might be getting freezing rain in the PDX metro area (maybe’s more widespread too) Thursday night into Saturday. Definitely keep an eye on the forecast and prepare for power outages if it does happen.

I have a fairly simple plan… A wavemaker is on battery battery backup for a 1-2hr outage. Longer than that I have a small generator that I plan to just run heaters and the return pump off of.

If you have a generator, might as well test it out this week with fresh gas to be ready.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Webfoot said:

Anyone have a good way to get an alert if you have a power outage while you’re asleep (assuming you don’t have a controller)?

If you don’t have one of these as a backup, id suggest one. Not only will it keep your tank aerated, it will likely wake up up as they are pretty loud lol! Great peace of mind for $15!

Aquatop BREZA Battery Powered Air Pump with AC Power Failure Sensor – Automatic Backup Power System, Aquarium Air Pump, Versatile & Portable For Aquatic Transport, AC-DC-One https://a.co/d/4HsmiY7

1 hour ago, Webfoot said:

Anyone have a good way to get an alert if you have a power outage while you’re asleep (assuming you don’t have a controller)?

PGE here in the Portland area sends out text alerts if you sign up for it.  Last week when I heard the nearby electrical transformer explode and my power went out, I got a text from PGE less than 2 minutes later.  They also send follow up texts with status updates and estimate how long before repair.

Not sure what’s available in your area, but worth checking with your utility company.

45584E77-34D1-4AFE-8A61-D7CBD49DBCB1.jpeg

7 minutes ago, islandVib3s said:

I hope everyone's tank does well, freezing rain? Lol where I'm from it's called hail or snow...what's the difference? 🤣

It’s a wet rain that comes down and freezes after it touches something making black ice and huge ice build ups on tree limbs, etc, freezing rain is the absolute worst. If you go out in it then it will just feel like regular rain, then you slip and fall, it’s pretty crazy. Lol

• Haha 1