Searching forums for other hobbies

Bicyclebill

I'm getting back into hi-fi after 20 years or so, and have been researching in different forums like ours. I feel like an outsider Costco dad in their forums as I try to read their pages of info on subjects I'm looking at. Crazy! Feels pretty cool to fit into our local forum, and feel like I've got useful input and can actually understand the words coming out of everyone's mouth!

I attended CES a few years ago.   A friend is a high end audiophile and took me to the special rooms on the reserved floors of the hotel for this purpose.  My eyes were Opened!   Amazing high end things, high end beliefs, a few high end myths (in my mind), and Amazing high end prices possible.

I learned how to test if someone is a true audiophile, in one question.   How much did you spend on your speaker WIRES?   If the answer is <$10K, you're not really into it.  :)

Quick google found a couple of articles on CES 2019.  ( I attended in 2015.)

• Like 1

The bleeding edge of audiophile is kind of ridiculous, almost as ridiculous as some SPS. I had a home theater where i built soundproofing and accustic dampening panels, built a bill fitz maurice tuned horn subwoofer, and the adjusted the frequency response with a db meter and barringer feedback destroyer EQ. 

It sounded AWESOME but how much more awesome than standard setup? Maybe 20% better.  That subwoofer though.  WOW.  I used to play call of duty and even with the theater in the basement, double 5/8 drywall with green glue, decoupled ceiling and solid wood doors i would rattle the upstairs window firing the sherman tank :)

• Like 1

It’s the expensive cables that were always laughable, and especially more so for digital signals now days, that I would chuckle at. With that being said, I did go through some headache trying to get an HDMI signal twitch both both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos at 4K >30hz, but that’s a different story.

Dang, I had no idea that things had become so esoteric! That headphone video blew my mind. Hard to believe there’s a market for products like that. I’m excited about my new measly NAD receiver and Monitor Audio Silver 300 speakers. Funny how one persons high end is another’s marginal entry level! 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 8:14 AM, markv said:

Hey Bill, have you decided whether you will go vinyl, digital, or just stream?

Streaming for right now. Just signed up for Amazon Music HD to give it a try. Really getting sucked into needing a turntable. I still romanticize about the process and enjoyment of albums from my past. It's an experience in and of itself, in addition to the music. Dang, I just sold myself!

On 3/30/2021 at 9:51 AM, jtichenor said:

If you haven't already do so.. bookmark this and check it often for great deals (they go fast) Echo Audio | Just Arrived (echohifi.com)

Love this place!  Haven't been in for a while but they used to treat me very well even when buying old discrete component mass market stuff like my Marantz 2325 receiver ($300 at the time) but also had all the high-end mono tube gear and esoteric speakers you could ask for.  A lot of the dedicated audiophiles seemingly would trade in their no longer wanted gear (on to the next big thing) so you could find and listen to things you (or at least I) could never afford to buy new at much more accessible prices.  I even used to bring in my Goodwill bin finds (Marantz, Yamaha natural sound, etc.) for store credit.  Great shop!