What would you do different?

2KS2K

If you were to start over what would you do different? I have multiple tanks and have considered doing one large tank. I’m not a fan of the Red Sea or water box tanks due to the fact that plumbing them is a pita, I want min of 30 deep and have seen seen multiple stands that are quite frankly junk. I’m looking for that 15 year tank! If you could have a glass tank built who would you choose? What equipment do you wish you could change/upgrade? Basically want to hear the good and bad! Tia!

• Like 2

I've already started over 🤣 

For me it was not having to do 20+ g water changes and using a pipette instead of cup measuring to dose so I went with a nano. Bad part is obviously it's a nano and needs a pretty constant monitor and to be very precise about everything.

• Like 1

This spring, I too started over.  Complete overhaul of the equipment room.   (sump/etc)   My conclusion, best thing I've done is build the RO and SW mixing station, and connect them up with DOS pumps to do Daily Auto Top Off, and Daily Auto Water Changes.    Why didn't I do this 15 years ago!

And now, I'm overhauling the display tank side of the system.  Working my way up to taking the existing display tank down and putting its replacement in place.   This will happen in October.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, obrien.david.j said:

This spring, I too started over.  Complete overhaul of the equipment room.   (sump/etc)   My conclusion, best thing I've done is build the RO and SW mixing station, and connect them up with DOS pumps to do Daily Auto Top Off, and Daily Auto Water Changes.    Why didn't I do this 15 years ago!

And now, I'm overhauling the display tank side of the system.  Working my way up to taking the existing display tank down and putting its replacement in place.   This will happen in October.  

I am in the same boat, although it was a pain to run lines all around (under the house to the garage for me), it was well worth it for my mixing station/AWC setup. The automation we have available now makes things so much simpler. This was my big change for my most recent reef iteration (started early this year).

If I were to start over today, I would probably make minor changes to my stand to reinforce an area or two better, but otherwise happy where I’m at.

• Like 1

I don't know where to start.  Much of it depends on your budget.  A year ago I was planning a massive reboot of my reef by adding a large addition onto my house including a dedicated fish room, new massive tank, 6-seat bar, billiards room, and new deck with a built-in BBQ.  But then COVID hit and my plans were scrapped.

Even if I can't do this massive overhaul, the main things I would do differently in my existing tank footprint would be to have a smaller aquascape where my rock isn't so high that corals would be too close to the water surface, and try to reduce the number of devices (3 reactors, skimmer, refugium) in my sump to make maintenance easier.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Blue Z Reef said:

I am in the same boat, although it was a pain to run lines all around (under the house to the garage for me), it was well worth it for my mixing station/AWC setup. The automation we have available now makes things so much simpler. This was my big change for my most recent reef iteration (started early this year).

If I were to start over today, I would probably make minor changes to my stand to reinforce an area or two better, but otherwise happy where I’m at.

This is something I am interested in with apex DOS, I was wondering if the lines get dirty easily and wether changing the lines out would be a huge pain you think. I guess it depends on where you run them but in my case it will probably be what u have to do run them through the garage. Thanks for any tips🤙

18 hours ago, obrien.david.j said:

This was on my to do list I just haven’t figured out how I want to set it up yet.. it’s bad I have a plumbing supply store that sells norwesco tanks and I eye the big ones every time I drive by! 

13 hours ago, Blue Z Reef said:

That’s the thing that worries me the most is the stand. I feel like a lot of the off the shelf tanks have horrible stands and don’t want to end up with a pond in my living room! I’ll probably end up with a steel stand but have also looked at the 8020 stuff just to save weight!

13 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

I don't know where to start.  Much of it depends on your budget.  A year ago I was planning a massive reboot of my reef by adding a large addition onto my house including a dedicated fish room, new massive tank, 6-seat bar, billiards room, and new deck with a built-in BBQ.  But then COVID hit and my plans were scrapped.

Even if I can't do this massive overhaul, the main things I would do differently in my existing tank footprint would be to have a smaller aquascape where my rock isn't so high that corals would be too close to the water surface, and try to reduce the number of devices (3 reactors, skimmer, refugium) in my sump to make maintenance easier.

wow that’s a huge undertaking! Never thought about it being to close to water line that’s good advice! Partly me wanting such a deep tank is that it would almost double the area I have now for all that equipment. That and the stand I have now only  being 28” high really sux to do anything under it! 

13 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

I would have actually followed through with med school plans.

But, the years of unanchored travel and adventure following college was worth it. 

My advice, decide on a size and double it. 

Always have those memories! I’m wanting a 96x32x26/30ish tank (have to be able to get it in the house). Wish I would of had it when I had my windows in my house replaced! 

But where is everyone going for that tank size? I’ve looked at planet, custom and Cda but have had a lot of mixed reviews 

Personally, I think you might have a hole in your head if your looking for a glass tank in that size.  Not only will it be sooo freaking heavy, if you scratch it..or shall I say, WHEN you scratch it, that's it, it is scratched for life.  You can be careful but there is always that ONE time.  A 30" tank is kind of a pain to get down on the sand bed, but honestly, I try to keep my hands (or my whole freaking arm) out of the tank. My tank is 8x4x30" and I really like the extra height because it is soo long.  

You are fortunate as one of THE best acrylic tank makers lives west of Salem.  His name is James and his business is Envision acrylics.  Super nice guy and his tanks are flawless.  You are going to get a tank that will literally last 50 years.  Something no glass tank glues together with silicone can match.  

The stand is a no brainer. @spectra can weld you any stand and have it powder coated for you.  Solid metal craftsmanship and he isn't out to gouge hobbyists. 

If you are interested in seeing what an 8'x30" tank and spectra stand look like you are welcome to come out and talk shop. I live in Hockinson, WA which is NE of Vantucky. 

Wait... your profile photo shows you wearing flame pants and a diaper.... I will just post pics. 

Edited by pdxmonkeyboy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Personally, I think you might have a hole in your head if your looking for a glass tank in that size.   
Wait... your profile photo shows you wearing flame pants and a diaper.... I will just post pics. 

Well that’s not the first time I’ve herd that in my life lol! 
With the way 2020 is going I’m surprised I’m not wearing a diaper yet lol just kidding Yes please post pics! I too try and keep my hands out of the tank but I work on cars and am afraid to do anything without gloves at least 

that did make me laugh so props to you! 

1 hour ago, SuncrestReef said:

Ha!  You didn't click the photo to expand the whole image:

F1EEA740-8B02-4D86-997F-AA69D5714EF3.jpeg.6586a541a1d15dacdc61f10d120c8407.jpeg

@SuncrestReefthank you for having my back lol we do live in a different time! 

• Like 1

OMG, that is soo funny.   I was like.. where does this guy live and clicked on your view profile... WAIT... [language filter] is this dude wearing?   

It is 2020, and according to Rudy Giuliani, "the truth is not the truth" so therefore you will be forever branded as the diaper guy.  I think that photo is photoshopped. 

I hope you work on expensive cars for a living as I will say that setting up an aquarium of that size is a considerable investment.  Like, for real.  You can recoup some of that money through frag generation but this does involve a fair amount of risk and even more upfront investment.  

There are pictures on my build thread... https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/monkeyboys-diy-600-dt-in-wall-build.676211/

@pdxmonkeyboylol ya definitely not photoshopped! I’ve been labeled a lot of different things, mostly @ss hole but never that. I don’t work on cars for a job but more of a hobby.. I do alright! You can’t reap the rewards if you never take a risk. I personally don’t like the look of acrylic. Yes I know glass scratches easy but When it comes to stuff like that it doesn’t bother me. We all make mistakes. We’re all in the hobby to burn hundreds of dollars just some people due it with fish, coral or equipment! My dad and I want round and round about this, he doesn’t see why I would spend the money I do but same time I don’t see why he spends $75k on a boat. To each there own!

No, I get it.   The general consensus has been anything over 300 gallon.. go acrylic.  There was a thread on r2r where this guy was "asking" should he go glass or acrylic on a 12' long tank and 95% of the people were like.. dude, acrylic.. but this guy would just not listen.  Someone even said.. they don't make starphire glass in the size he wanted. Undeterred he just marched on.  Ultimately the thread petered out and I don't that he will actually go through with it.  

It is important to remember that monster tanks are not just little tanks scaled up. There are some popular conventions that need to be set aside when dealing with the big'uns.  Anyways.  My best advice... Go BIG, ONCE.  

@pdxmonkeyboythat is really the only thing I worry about is weight. As I have “fun” safes on the other side of the wall. When trying to decide on size I figured the 84-96 range would be good with 3/4 glass.. I wouldn’t do a bigger tank in glass. I was hoping to save some weight by going 26in high. I really don’t think I would like the maintenance side of a 30 but I’f it’s going to cost the same as a 26 id go for it. 

2 hours ago, 2KS2K said:

I don’t work on cars for a job but more of a hobby.. I do alright! 

The main thing id do different is id go back to being 18 and go get that engineering degree instead of chasing a six figure year working flat rate on cars. Lost my shop this month, had to sell off my system and still trying to sell everything to just recover. Cars are definitely a better hobby/ side gig opposed to a job.

In all reality working on cars drained me to the point my tank didnt get the attention it needed. Hopefully switching over to welding while I pursue an engineering degree works better for me. 

Moving forward, once im recovered from all of this im going custom acrylic 300+g peninsula if possible. Im gonna pay a good friend of mine to build me a bad [language filter] scape so i can just put it all together, and just be patient through the woes. If given myself alot of stress and headaches trying to keep sticks in young tanks and its just not worth it in the end. Nothing grows until things stabilize anyways. 

Im gonna be patient and buy the top of the line equipment that makes keeping a reef easier by having failsafes. 

In short im just gonna practice exercising more patience and budgeting in my next build so I can just be happy with the results and let it do its thing.

@Taylorhardy1when I was younger I did the 9-5 as a auto body helper and seen what they were making and soon after I decided I need to get me $hit together at an early age.. I have the time to wait and am in no hurry! I like to do things once. You learn real quick when u try and skimp out on parts and it comes back to bite u in the @ss almost everytime! I have cars to thank me for that. My wife likes to say I’m captain overboard! 

Edited by 2KS2K