Fish injury

Higher Thinking

that's a canary blenny?  looks like you caught the fish to take the picture?  Can you QT and try to treat with medication to see if that helps it heal?   Sorry i don't really have any advice other than to try that.  

• Like 1

that's a canary blenny?  looks like you caught the fish to take the picture?  Can you QT and try to treat with medication to see if that helps it heal?   Sorry i don't really have any advice other than to try that.  
That's the thing. I gotta know what to treat for. I'm thinking bacterial.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hey guys,

Without working this animal up myself, I'm very loath to offer any diagnosis or advice. Can't really tell what's going on in those images.

Is this animal eating?

Any recent changes in behavior? If so, what are the changes?

How long ago did you notice the white spot? Just one spot or multifocal?

Are these spots only on the surface or do they appear to have depth?

Any new additions to the animal collection or aggressive behaviors toward this critter?

Very pretty fishy. The answers to these questions may shed a bit more light.

Hey guys,
Without working this animal up myself, I'm very loath to offer any diagnosis or advice. Can't really tell what's going on in those images.
Is this animal eating?
Any recent changes in behavior? If so, what are the changes?
How long ago did you notice the white spot? Just one spot or multifocal?
Are these spots only on the surface or do they appear to have depth?
Any new additions to the animal collection or aggressive behaviors toward this critter?
Very pretty fishy. The answers to these questions may shed a bit more light.

Hey Sid! Thanks for the questions. I've only had the fish for a couple weeks so I can't really speak to behavior changes (I will absorb the no quarantine shame [emoji3064]). I noticed the white spot maybe a week ago. It got bigger over about a week and it turned into that. The wound definitely has some depth to it. I don't see any other spots except for those little black spots near the big wound. I haven't seen any other fish bothering it. I haven't seen it going directly after prepared foods, but have seen it pecking pretty much nonstop at the live rock. It is currently in the sump although I can move it to QT if needed. Ironically enough, I have a scopas tang currently in the QT setup. Thanks for any insight.

When it comes to quarantine protocols, this pretty much sums it up:

giphy.gif

Until, of course, 30-60 days later after careful observation....

I really don't know what to make of these blotches we're seeing on this critter. I recommend that you continue to isolate and observe it, experiment with different foods until it eats something besides 'pods with any regularity (PE Mysis is pretty much my silver bullet for such things), reduce stress and stressors any way you can and please keep us posted on its condition.

Also, please listen to Mr. Grey here. When it comes to aquatic animal health, he's the man.

When it comes to quarantine protocols, this pretty much sums it up:

giphy.gif

Until, of course, 30-60 days later after careful observation....
I really don't know what to make of these blotches we're seeing on this critter. I recommend that you continue to isolate and observe it, experiment with different foods until it eats something besides 'pods with any regularity (PE Mysis is pretty much my silver bullet for such things), reduce stress and stressors any way you can and please keep us posted on its condition.
Also, please listen to Mr. Grey here. When it comes to aquatic animal health, he's the man.

Yes, you certainly are correct. Unfortunately, the fish died yesterday. [emoji3545]

Thanks for the insight either way.

Then it's quite possible that the die was cast on this critter before it became part of your collection. Could have been contusions from careless capture attempts at the LFS (or somewhere else in the chain of custody) or some type of scare that caused the critter to blindly bolt into something unforgiving long before it arrived at your place. [language filter]. It was a pretty fish. Sorry to hear that it's gone.

• Like 1