Double IPA beer fell in sump

BeardUp

I was blasting the rocks with a turkey baster when my foster dog knocked my beer in my sump. 

How F ed am i? I dont have any carbon on hand but I do have 10g of RO water ready and have turned off the return pump and started heating water to make 5-10g of new water. Is there anything else I can do to save my LPS dom with a few SPS 29g tank?

How many gallons is the sump?  If it's only a 29g tank, then I'm assuming the sump is pretty small.  I'm assuming the 10g of RO water can be mixed into saltwater to replace the whole sump volume and your corals shouldn't notice much difference.

Edited by SuncrestReef
  • Like 1

Like Suncrest said - if you isolated it quickly by turning off the return and can completely drain and replenish the sump that should be a good start and hopefully limit any damage. Probably would be good to run some carbon when you can get some in there and test your parameters just to be safe  

Not to make light of the situation but this may the most “Portland” post I have seen here for a long while - where else do you get dogs knocking IPA into reef tanks right?

Good luck!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, BeardUp said:

its a 10g sump with about 8-10 lbs of rock in the middle chamber. Do you think the hops and junk will poison the corals? I have turned up the skimmer

I have no idea how the hops or malt might impact the corals, but given that some people dose vodka, the alcohol may actually benefit your system.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Not to make light of the situation but this may the most “Portland” post I have seen here for a long while - where else do you get dogs knocking IPA into reef tanks right?

Good luck!

Thanks, I am making new water now, I did not even think about how bad that looks when I posted it. :X  

• Like 1

We haven’t covered what kind of beer this was yet, nor it’s bottling date... critical for us to judge your taste in adult beverages.

i, with no basis for my opinion, think you will probably be fine.  We dose other kinds of alcohol, and hops are not that toxic once boiled.

your pup may have invented the next reefkeeping trend

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Update! Everything appears to be alive so far. The lights dont kick on till noon but I see most of my fish (goby has a cave on the back side of the rocks he loves) and the nems and lps appear to be fine!  My cyano appears less too though, I am not sure if that is due to the water change or the blasting I was doing on the rocks already. Thank you all for your help and suggestions!

The beer was a Hop Valley Alphadelic but I cant find the bottling date on the can, but Winco only stocks the freshest I am sure. 

Edited by BeardUp
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Sailingeric said:

Hops are antimicrobial so if it keeps the cyano away, dosing hop extract might be better than Chemiclean. Magnum or Chinook hops might be the best bang for the buck. 

go Zeus or go home!

• Like 1

On 3/23/2019 at 10:20 AM, BeardUp said:

Update! Everything appears to be alive so far. The lights dont kick on till noon but I see most of my fish (goby has a cave on the back side of the rocks he loves) and the nems and lps appear to be fine!  My cyano appears less too though, I am not sure if that is due to the water change or the blasting I was doing on the rocks already. Thank you all for your help and suggestions!

The beer was a Hop Valley Alphadelic but I cant find the bottling date on the can, but Winco only stocks the freshest I am sure. 

Good to hear - hope all continues well. I was going to make mention in my previous post that not only was it an IPA but a double no less - maybe helped knock down that cyano 😁

1 hour ago, Jeremevans said:

I've always wondered how it would be if my beer feel in the tank. It hasn't happened but I had a close encounter once.

I was pretty quick to shut off the return pump so I am not sure how much made it in, but it was a mostly full beer in the chamber right before the return. So far no visible negative impact. I thought I lost my rock flower but it appears to have just decided to move to the other side of the rock. 

• Like 2