To go bare or not to go bare???

matt

I am one of the few people who love bare bottoms . My frag tank was bare bottom and it was nice to not worry about frags getting knocked over and being buried in the sand. You do have to be on top of the detritus and suction it regularly or it looks bad. Think of it like the difference between carpet and hardwood floors. The look is cleaner but you see the dirt on the hardwoods. The other thing is if you like wrasses they like to bury in the sand at night so I ended up putting a bowl of sand in there for them. I had a melanarus in my frag tank. Great pest eaters!

I had my frag tank bare bottom for almost a year and just recently put sand in it and I love it! The bare bottom was nice for cleaning and such but the sand just has such a nice look to it :) the both have their pros and cons lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Most definitely there are some advantage to bare bottoms but I agree that sand looks more natural. My personal opinion is that bare bottom is best for frag tanks and that displays should have sand. I have always wanted to try a bare bottom nano covered in gsp with a bonsai rock stuctures that looks like a tree covered in Zoa's for leaves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

After one tank had a bad cyano outbreak, and the other got dynos, I ended up sucking the sand out of both of them.

I actually really like it. It seems easier for me to keep it clean. I also like being able to blast a lot of flow across the bottom of the tank without worrying about sand blowing around. The only problem I've had is snails moving things around.

Edited by Jack-the-reefer
  • Like 1

I had my frag tank bare bottom for almost a year and just recently put sand in it and I love it! The bare bottom was nice for cleaning and such but the sand just has such a nice look to it :) the both have their pros and cons lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If look is all you're going for, look into gluing/attaching sand under and outside the aquarium.

For a frag tank, absolutely bare just need to figure out biological filtration. The tank is not on display to be judged on aesthetics.

For a display, every family member and friend you know will question your sanity for not having sand. You will be constantly defending why your tank looks ugly.

I'd rather have a hot, moderate maintenance partner than a troll that is low maintenance

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk