UV Spot light

Jeramy

Hey I am not very familiar with DIY LEDs but I am toying around with a UV spotlight to target a Zoa garden on my new tank build and am contemplating using this 20w uv matrix led but am not entirely sure what driver and power supply I need to run it. I was thinking about attaching it to a cpu heat sink and fan to keep it cool and making a custom housing for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20W-High-Power-LED-UV-Light-395-405nm-50LM-Ultra-Violet-LED-Chip-Bead-Bulb-Lamp/112005896068?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3D0193b39519b94ab7bcfc46d64e83ddc6%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D15%26rkt%3D20%26sd%3D222070355324

I have a 80* optic for it like you would see on a kessil . I know we have some talented folks on here in regards to the DIY Led builds and this is all new to me and when I started to research drives and such there were so many options that it was crazy town out here. Thanks for your feed back. 

anything under 410nm does nothing for growth and hardly anything for color. Actually anything under 400 is "UV" while anything between 410-430nm is Violet. Violet is what you really want. Violet (410-430nm) is great for growth. 

• Like 1

If you actually experiment with UV you would find that some zoanthids will gain some colors that would not have been there unless they had been exposed to the extra UV, this is applicable to some other corals as well.

So listen and learn, no one knows it all they just think they do.

Preach on Brother Danlu!

And thanks for the link Clark.

• Like 2

I think OP is not asking for an opinion.

Op just asking how to do a UV spotlight for whatever purpose he is trying to do.

Jeramy, the brand on ebay should be good for your experiment.

If you need more accurate spectrum you can go with individual diodes from semileds

Just remember you will not be able to drive this uv diodes more than 700ma, for the one on ebay 500ma should be about max I think.

You will not optics since true UV will degrade plastic optics. Let it run bare or using reflector set up like the link the clark posted here.

I think OP is not asking for an opinion.

Op just asking how to do a UV spotlight for whatever purpose he is trying to do.

Jeramy, the brand on ebay should be good for your experiment.

If you need more accurate spectrum you can go with individual diodes from semileds

Just remember you will not be able to drive this uv diodes more than 700ma, for the one on ebay 500ma should be about max I think.

You will not optics since true UV will degrade plastic optics. Let it run bare or using reflector set up like the link the clark posted here.

No opinion was given, it was all fact

Thanks for all the input it is much appreciated. I plan to experiment with addition UV light on my Zoanthids in particular and see how the and or if they change maybe have a it pointed at the Zoa garden and then take several frags and place them in the same system but not under the uv and see where it goes just for fun and curiosity and if it costs me less than 30 bucks to mess around with should be fun =)

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input it is much appreciated. I plan to experiment with addition UV light on my Zoanthids in particular and see how the and or if they change maybe have a it pointed at the Zoa garden and then take several frags and place them in the same system but not under the uv and see where it goes just for fun and curiosity and if it costs me less than 30 bucks to mess around with should be fun =)

if you are going to do this your light needs to have an optic so it doesn't spread to the others