Pipe cleaning

J-Dog

What does everyone use to clean the inner workings of your drain pipes? Mine seem to be slowly getting smaller and backing up on water flow. I now have the valve fully open to get the proper drain flow. I think if I clean the plumbing good, it will solve my problems. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

• Like 1

The normal slime that may build up within the plumbing shouldn't be a huge deal. Think of tanks with any sort of long range plumbing.

I think the main issue is algae growth within the overflow and the tops of the pipes. To combat that, I'd cover your overflow(s) for a week or two. They even make over flow covers that keep light out. I think if you cover them, it'll keep algae and any macro plants from building up. That's at least my issue.

• Like 1

If your tank has been up  Loooong time you may have  a bit of sponge and or duster blockage, I have had this happen in my main aquarium. Many things can work to clean out a stand pipe but they do make a type of short brush tip attached to a long simi rigid line that can be of assistance. Like Kireek mentioned try not to drop anything down there or get anything stuck. Times like this that it makes all those union fitting seem that much more appealing.

• Like 2

Two little fishes has a product for this very thing I have never tried it but seems like a diy version would be a piece of cake to do. insert magnet ina piece of Doobie sponge cut to size and use the other  half of you mag cleaner and done =)

http://www.marinedepot.com/Two_Little_Fishies_MagFox_Magnetic_Hose_and_Pipe_Cleaning_Device_Non_Floating_Algae_Magnets-Two_Little_Fishies-TL3919-FIMTAMCMNF-vi.html

• Like 1

Two little fishes has a product for this very thing I have never tried it but seems like a diy version would be a piece of cake to do. insert magnet ina piece of Doobie sponge cut to size and use the other  half of you mag cleaner and done =)

http://www.marinedepot.com/Two_Little_Fishies_MagFox_Magnetic_Hose_and_Pipe_Cleaning_Device_Non_Floating_Algae_Magnets-Two_Little_Fishies-TL3919-FIMTAMCMNF-vi.html

That's a great idea!

I just pull mine out once a year or so hose them down and soak them if need be.

I have a friend who had a very large tank and his 1" pipes were down to a 1/2" pipe without the crud that built up. It's part of why I soft plumb my tanks whenever possible too. Coupla unions can take the plumbing off to soak in a rubbermaid. 

HTH

• Like 1