Tank crash

Vis

I woke up this morning to find half my tank melted away . Had to leave by 7 am for an all day conference. I just got home to survey the damage. I'm just so upset!!! Can't figure out how things can go so wrong overnight! I can see why people give up on this hobby ????????????

• Like 1

I think all was fine yesterday but to be honest, I had a bad migraine so I didn't see the tank. I've lost about half my corals. I know it sounds stupid to cry about corals but I am . I'll figure out what to do tomorrow . Right now I'm just feeling a bit sorry for myself

• Like 2

No one is going to think you are stupid for crying over corals on here! That's those OTHER people. Those family members and friends who just don't get and think coral are pretty plants. We all get it here! ????????????????????

That is really fast for a crash makes me think something got dumped in your tank accodentally.

• Like 3

Thanks Kim!!! Anything is possible especially with 4 kids. I'll take stock tomorrow and figure out what to do . Probably a big water change tomorrow. Right now I'm too tired and sad ! It's great that people understand!!! To me, taking care of corals and fish is a huge responsibility so I feel sad and guilty at the same time

• Like 1

You are such a sweetie. Unfortunately I have the second day of my boring conference on tomorrow. Hip and knee replacements . I'll have to do the water change when I get home. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your kindness! I feel a bit better

• Like 1

You are such a sweetie. Unfortunately I have the second day of my boring conference on tomorrow. Hip and knee replacements . I'll have to do the water change when I get home. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your kindness! I feel a bit better

That conference actually sounds pretty interesting. You should really do a water change sooner than later. I keep thinking back to the story Melevreef mentioned at the Bob Moore frag swap. Some guy lost 90 percent of his corals and found out later that his kids thought they would "help daddy" and dumped all his chemicals into the tank.????????????????

Good point Kim. I'll have hubby do a water change tomorrow morning! I don't have ready made water on hand to do it tonight so I'll send him to buy some tomorrow and just hope nothing else dies!!!

• Like 1

Welcome to the Hobby! While Tank crashes do in fact happen I personally am thankful it's not nearly as frequent as it used to be, have had several crashes many years ago, and every one sucks just as much.

My suggestion to you now is to get to the bottom of it so you can hopefully prevent it again in the future. Do not go making any huge changes till you get at least a cup of the water out of there to start performing tests on. Check your livestock and see if they look healthy or sick and what symptoms etc.

I know it's rough but just hang in there, it's a learning experience and mistakes are inevitable.

• Like 1

Welcome to the Hobby! While Tank crashes do in fact happen I personally am thankful it's not nearly as frequent as it used to be, have had several crashes many years ago, and every one sucks just as much.

My suggestion to you now is to get to the bottom of it so you can hopefully prevent it again in the future. Do not go making any huge changes till you get at least a cup of the water out of there to start performing tests on. Check your livestock and see if they look healthy or sick and what symptoms etc.

I know it's rough but just hang in there, it's a learning experience and mistakes are inevitable.

Thank you! I'll do some investigating tomorrow. Now that I'm over the initial shock and horror I'm feeling more ready to move on.

I feel your pain... it happens almost crashed out my 10 gallon and my nuvo 20. managed to save some of my corals but did lose some and some of my fish, for some reason both tanks alk crashed and the ph dropped down and got a large algae and cyno. break out, but I think I finally got everything back and the corals are starting to looking a little more alive. I just keep pushing on and learning what I did or didnt do right. :) but it does suck alot

I think all was fine yesterday but to be honest, I had a bad migraine so I didn't see the tank. I've lost about half my corals. I know it sounds stupid to cry about corals but I am . I'll figure out what to do tomorrow . Right now I'm just feeling a bit sorry for myself

Not stupid at all to be upset to lose your beautiful coral. Like Kim said, we all get it. There are many wonderful people here that will be willing to help if you need it, including myself. Just let us know!

Thanks all! So far the only change I could find is that my heater showed an error message and the temp dropped to 68.

Not sure if that could account for the big loss? I'm slowly increasing it now.

• Like 1

I just want to thank everyone for the advice and kind offers. I tested the water and apart from the alkalinity being a bit low it looks like the big change in temp did it. My nitrates are high too but that's because of the die off. I'm doing a water change to fix that now and going to run a new batch of carbon. I'll see how things look tomorrow. Right now it looks like 2 fish lost and most of my favorite corals . The cheap ones look fine! Go figure!!! I'd always thought an Apex system was too much but considering what I've lost I could have easily bought one . Anyway , I'm sure once things are stable again I'll start building it up again. Right now I just want to keep the remaining corals alive and happy!

• Like 2

It still seems improbable that your tank crashed after just one day at 68 degrees. Do you know if it was at the temp for long? Like several days? Apparently when shipping coral, having them dip down to 68 isn't unheard of.

It was most likely longer. I had a bad migraine so I didn't check on the tank like I usually do a few times a day. My daughter fed the fish but she doesn't know enough to notice any changes. I guess it was just really bad timing and bad luck. I wish I'd caught it sooner but my head was pounding and I was in survival mode . Very sad!!! I feel terrible about it!

Looks like we had the very same issue.. my tank was around 68ish for some time and my alk dropped. Yes gsp didn't care, everything else not so much. I was trying the no heater in my 10 which caused my mushrooms to run and melt. In the mean time dealing with that,my 20 was crashing due to low alk and high nitrates. Yes over feeding I know. Good times now in there with algae and Cyano. Yeah I feel for the migraines . Don't give up it's a step back but it works out. Don't feel bad it happens.

• Like 3