ATO Container? What is everyone using?

R-3

I am kind of lucky since all my gear is in the garage, so I use a 5 gallon water jug. Drilled a small hole in the back of it so it dumps out quickly when I remove the tubing for cleaning it out. I can also put a golf tee in the hole to keep it from leaking if I ever needed to use it for picking up water.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Edited by PowderBlue
  • Like 1

I use a 5g water jug. I put a cinderblock in my sump to raise it up a little bit and just swap the jugs out. I have a ton of them from when I used to do water changes, so I make 30-40g at a time n 5g jugs and that will last me a couple months.

HTH

lg.jpg

These, Winco sells them for $6. One for my topoff, one for my skimmate, and a bunch full of RO in the garage :)

These are exactly what I use, love em!  I think Jeff told me about them even...

You can drill the lid and put in float switches if you are into automatically refilling the ATO (I am... :nutty: )

You can also put in the feed line from the RODI, and the lines that draw for the ATO and Kalk feed.  The lid is a killer panel to mount this stuff to.

In the end you have a lid, that you can screw onto any one of these empty containers, that automatically fills itself up.  

You can drill the lid and put in float switches if you are into automatically refilling the ATO (I am... :nutty: )

Dude you know your nuts right. I hope you have a conductivity meter on that Apex controlling this somehow. PNWMAS lost a very very good tank a while back due to it having an automated filling of the top off reservoir. Be careful. 

One for my topoff, one for my skimmate,

I would not want to know how that smells. 

So I've got the 30g Brute can in a closet behind the tank. I drilled a whole in the wall to run the lines to the sump.

In the Brute I have a float switch that will send me an alarm once the level gets too low - and at that point it will turn off the pump altogether so it wont run dry. The switch is about two inches higher than the pump, though, so I can manually top it off a bit more if I'm out of town or something...manually meaning turn on the ATO pump via the Apex.

At first I was refilling the can by pumping in water from my RODI station, but I kept having a problem with saltwater in the lines (I was using the same pump system to do water changes so there was always salt leftover). Now I just walk the 20ft with one of those jugs to refill it with fresh water. 

How do you gravity feed ATO? Just set amount drip/day?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I have a little float ball thing(can't remember proper term ha). Basically I have my bucket that sits above the sump with a while drilled in the bottom. Basic RODI tubing goes into the hole and then runs down to my sump where the ball valve is. When the water level drops the valve lowers allowing water to drip in. Then closes again when the water level rises.

It's not nearly as complicated as it sounds haha.

Float switch thing I'm referring too. I used a different one though.

a05b9699865419e5b8b5b03445dbc8fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Paratore

I use the winco special...have to refill it about every 2-3 weeks on my nano. Im paranoid though, so i only put the intake tube a couple inches below the water level.

On my large tank i use a combination of 40 gallon brute which is manually plumbed to a home depot 5 gal bucket. Thats about every three days...in fact that reminds me i need to fill it:)

Edited by Mandinga

Blue 7 gallon jug from bimart when they were on sale for ~$12. Has a wide mouth hole for easy refilling from my blue 5 gallon. Would love to have it hard plumbed, but not an option right now

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk