Ok here are a couple more household things you can use besides the toothbrush idea enjoy

StayPuff

So here is a couple more things you can use to help.  I wish it was plastic but it does the job and for 8 bucks for the picker and 99 cents for the funnel it will help.  Just tossing some other ideas up like  my Rubbermaid scrubber idea :)

Ok you tired of putting your hand in the water to flip a snail or put a frag back. These grip well not for rocks but was able to hold 3 lbs. You can grip something flip the lock switch on it. Works great for reach in back of the tank to grab a snail or something... Also its cheap and easy to use its handy tool.

Next is a funnel .  So what do you use the funnel for well many things but for starters do you have a PhosBan Reactor or something?  Well there you go.  Measure out a cup instead of covering the middle hole with tape or your finger and spilling it all over your floor and carpet use the funnel.

Ok theres my 2 cents of the day enjoy maybe it will help you smile when you don't make a mess or reach in get your shirt wet enjoy :)

20160111_101438_resized.jpg

• Like 1

Love the pickers, I use a bunch of cheap ones.  Harbor freight I think sells a junkier one for a couple of bucks on sale but I use it sometimes.  

I first learned about them from Frank, this particular model which is also very nice but a few more bucks:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B13PC2?keywords=grabber&qid=1452540282&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

He even frags with them!  Amazing.

Yes they rust out, but they are a few bucks, not a big deal.  I heard you can put them in a bucket of freshwater after using, never tried it.

Risk to your tank?  I don't think so, if you have seen Frank's tank you likely would agree.

I keep funnels, measuring spoons/cups, etc specifically for the reef in the reef supplies.  Also very handy!

Good stuff thanks for starting the topic.

• Like 1

Magic Erasers are very useful, especially if you have a strong magnet cleaner like a magnavore and you can slice a piece off the eraser and put it inbetween the magnet to clean. :D

Large pickle jars seem to come in useful for me to for growing cultures, dosing, and for feeding (thawing) frozen food. 

I use a piece I cut off a plastic hanger and a rubberband to feed Nori. The Hanger floats so it's kinda perfect. 

Dollar store super glue is many a reefers favorite.

Panty hose to cover intakes on powerheads in tanks with fry or walking anenomes.

Eggcrate is good for measuring frozen food when you make your own food. Speaking of making your own food the seafood medley from Trader Joes is pretty good....

:D

• Like 3

Love the pickers, I use a bunch of cheap ones.  Harbor freight I think sells a junkier one for a couple of bucks on sale but I use it sometimes.  

I first learned about them from Frank, this particular model which is also very nice but a few more bucks:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B13PC2?keywords=grabber&qid=1452540282&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

He even frags with them!  Amazing.

Yes they rust out, but they are a few bucks, not a big deal.  I heard you can put them in a bucket of freshwater after using, never tried it.

Risk to your tank?  I don't think so, if you have seen Frank's tank you likely would agree.

I keep funnels, measuring spoons/cups, etc specifically for the reef in the reef supplies.  Also very handy!

Good stuff thanks for starting the topic.

Ya thats not a bad little tool as well :)

Ok as someone mentioned yesterday in my other thread . The toothbrush idea for cleaning using things other than buying reef stuff can save you. It's not being cheap just ideas of what can be used.  So my sump i have 4 hoses running over each other i went got this big  3MM and put it to the side of the glass now all 4 hoses fit nice in there allowing me to keep it simple and able to work in there.  Not to mention the auto top off hose will not pop out now either :)

20160111_125547_resized.jpg

PS There is some good ideas i see a couple of you posted i would love to hear more.

What i need is a pump that when i pump it one pump will put out 1 oz I need this in a gallon jug where can i get this. I know bulk reef supply has them thats what im looking for.  Someone offered me one up but he and i are not close and i would like to buy on somewhere. 

So if you dont know measurements and how to measure using a syrenge when you measure this Video will teach you better than any teacher can teach you i promise this.

Some people really need to make sure your using the right numbers when you dose or whatever.

Here check this video out

Take the test at the end to pretty easy stuff and very helpful for this hobby

Edited by StayPuff
  • Like 1

Magic Erasers are very useful, especially if you have a strong magnet cleaner like a magnavore and you can slice a piece off the eraser and put it inbetween the magnet to clean. :D

Large pickle jars seem to come in useful for me to for growing cultures, dosing, and for feeding (thawing) frozen food. 

I use a piece I cut off a plastic hanger and a rubberband to feed Nori. The Hanger floats so it's kinda perfect. 

Dollar store super glue is many a reefers favorite.

Panty hose to cover intakes on powerheads in tanks with fry or walking anenomes.

Eggcrate is good for measuring frozen food when you make your own food. Speaking of making your own food the seafood medley from Trader Joes is pretty good....

:D

So the magic eraser is safe to use in the tank? I love that thing!

I have never used a magic eraser but not sure i would that is one of them that scare me they could fall apart in the water other than that people do use them.

I think there is a warning or used to be not for aqurium use because of that reason.  But for 2 more bucks or something for that you can get a magnic cleaner.

Magic erasers work extremely well, haven't had one come apart on me yet but I toss them fairly quickly because they are so cheap, I'll never use a mag float on acrylic again so the magic erasers come in very handy!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

How much do you pay on them things? Ya I agree many people use them that's the only problem if they fall apart and don't blame you I would use a mag on that either :)

Anyone else have any other ideas to add? :) Tricks or tips?

How much do you pay on them things? Ya I agree many people use them that's the only problem if they fall apart and don't blame you I would use a mag on that either :)

Few bucks for a box of 4 pretty cheap.

Magic erasers work extremely well, haven't had one come apart on me yet but I toss them fairly quickly because they are so cheap, I'll never use a mag float on acrylic again so the magic erasers come in very handy!

I just cleaned the tank with a magic eraser and it worked like a charm! Didn't fall apart at all.Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

I bought a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser at the Dollar Tree for $1 a couple of months ago. If they are still in stock, it's the best deal in town. They will not fall apart, and are non-toxic aquarium use, as far as I know. I do know lots of people use them for aquarium use. They have been recommended for buffing out micro-scratched in acrylic. No need to remove any water either.

• Like 2

I use these to keep test tubes contained.The first one is a lipstick holder and the second item is a ice cube tray.

dscf9113_zpsjvxwn36y.jpg

DSCF9889_zps6yesd8g0.jpg

And a sewing thread spool holder to help air dry small parts.

dscf9112_zpsadxw34hc.jpg

I guess this is a sign I need a woman in my life lol

I like the ice cube holder I need something like that great ideas :) :)

• Like 1

Where do you get them little ice trays i dont see the tiny ones around much.

Ok here is another who needs a dose machine when you can use paper cups.

I have 3 of them i poked holes in them set timer for when they are empty i poke a hole in the top for a zip tie and couple pine holes in the bottom for the drip. One is little over 3 hours over 2 hours and about 1 hour for the other.  Work perfect been using them for month now :)

I bought a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser at the Dollar Tree for $1 a couple of months ago. If they are still in stock, it's the best deal in town. They will not fall apart, and are non-toxic aquarium use, as far as I know. I do know lots of people use them for aquarium use. They have been recommended for buffing out micro-scratched in acrylic. No need to remove any water either.

Well I went to the 1 dollar store they had magic Eraser but it wasn't called that it was called magic something else same thing it looked like.

But with a warning that said do not use on Aquarium  I chose to stay away from it.

That's true, toilet brushes are great for skimmers.  Makes the job allot easier!

Yea I just did mine yesterday actually took the whole skimmer out and the little holes I used a long brush don't know what they call it.  But it gets in between all the wholes it looks brand new.  Normally I do that every 3 months but had a urge to get er done :)

Anyone else have any ideas if you view toss it up I love do it yourself stuff and things everyday use hat you can use for this hobby.

Anyone have any tips/tricks on how to pour buckets of water into your tank without disturbing the corals or sand bed too much?

Do you have a sump? I have always done water changes through my sump until I bought my fusion. With the fusion I pour the water into the back chamber. If there is no sump you can use a milk jug and slowly dump in the water.