Interesting Idea to Aerate...

TheClark

22014_1615803182015251_65970682776444918

More details:

https://www.facebook.com/1511705699091667/photos/a.1586411778287725.1073741829.1511705699091667/1615803182015251/?type=3&theater

Elegant Corals "Micro Scrubbing Bubbles" Technique for the Reef System... smile emoticon 

Allows the corals to release excess slime and waste... 
Allows the coral membrane to breathe and allow for better osmosis and ion exchange with the water column...
Oxygenates the water and de-gasses excess CO2 in the water column out of the system. (Skimmers and a little ball of chaeto is not sufficient... sorry...)

We recommend 8 to 10 hours a day counter cycle for the first week, then 2 to 3 hours a day counter cycle to the display tank lighting to maintain a more consistent and stable pH level. 

The correct pH greatly improves the calcification rates of all hard corals...

Funny you posted this i was exactly thinking about adding a air stone to my return pump area i have always done this in every salt water tank i have had and things went well. I was told 25 years ago to put air stones in where the return pump is so it has stuck with me and actually will be doing that today as well cant hurt anyhow right? :)

Edited by StayPuff

Isn't it the majority of aeration happened in skimmer chamber and also when water come down from baffle to create waterfall effect?

Excessive aeration could cause the tiny bubbles to get stuck underneath the coral tissue.

That's what everyone has told me too Rudy, there are some surprising claims in the text.  

I guess at the end of the day we have good tools to measure if it impacts PH as claimed.  I am a tad skeptical too but it is interesting.

Hmmm...  Stuck tiny bubbles would not be good!

That's what everyone has told me too Rudy, there are some surprising claims in the text.  

I guess at the end of the day we have good tools to measure if it impacts PH as claimed.  I am a tad skeptical too but it is interesting.

Hmmm...  Stuck tiny bubbles would not be good!

I used it for many years and had sweet coral tank never had a problem with the set up.. I don't know all the scientific stuff other than I used it and worked good for me :)

To lazy to go get a air stone pump so ill wait until tomorrow :)

• Like 1

I used it for many years and had sweet coral tank never had a problem with the set up.. I don't know all the scientific stuff other than I used it and worked good for me :)

To lazy to go get a air stone pump so ill wait until tomorrow :)

Do some before and after shots, should be fun to monitor!

I have seen micro bubbles kill corals. At night when they feed they can actually ingest bubbles and cause embolisms that cause tissue damage. Yes bubbles happen in nature but there are also currents that clear them. I don't think non stop bubbles are a good idea. Keep bubbles in the skimmer and the sump is my recommendation

• Like 2

Those arguments you are all bringing up are valid concerns IMO.  However, I am just dying to see if the PH is impacted.

Last night I tested it using an airline to a wp-60, with a tiny air pump.  It worked well. Remember the old school powerheads in freshwater that could had a venturi and an airline?  Similar concept.

Naso tang was stressed (not cool) all other fish were happy.

Certainly not recommending this, just a reef hacker at heart and love trying out new stuff...  

Nice experiment Jeremy, suppose it's worth a shot.

My issue is when I test my pinwheels in my frag tank for instance and make bubbles everywhere for a minute all the corals get upset and acros start sliming. They only do this when something makes them mad, so I have to assume they are irritated by the bubbles.

However, I have run air stones in my display when treating cyano with ChemiClean with no ill effects. Hard to say on this one, but I definitely wouldn't enjoy it during the light cycle.

• Like 1

Nice experiment Jeremy, suppose it's worth a shot.

My issue is when I test my pinwheels in my frag tank for instance and make bubbles everywhere for a minute all the corals get upset and acros start sliming. They only do this when something makes them mad, so I have to assume they are irritated by the bubbles.

However, I have run air stones in my display when treating cyano with ChemiClean with no ill effects. Hard to say on this one, but I definitely wouldn't enjoy it during the light cycle.

That's some good real world experience thanks for the share.

Tank is micro bubble city right now, monitoring closely.  Of course the tank is in the office so I can watch it off and on with a quick glance.  

Here goes nothing!

PH graph for reference, nothing amazying yet.  Started at 8:13 AM and the PH is rising as it normally does...

qAWx56X.png

ORP for the heck of it...  Always seems to run inverse to PH

0lkTp70.png

Co2 in the room is hovering in the 550-650 range, pretty typical.

Night 1 complete.  PH did flatten out just a tad.  Not much of a swing from daytime PH but still not a dramatic change....

When the lights come on I will check out water clarity.

The mark on the graph is the start of the experiment, before that is history for comparison.

y0MhAzG.png