Sump or no Sump

spectra

Sump

Just went through this on my frag tank and dismantled it and drilled it. AIO limits skimmers, fuge, filter socks, and extra water volume. When I started adding acessories to make up for things it was lacking it just crowded up the tank. Keep it clean (and quiet) and leave all that "junk in the suuuuump!" :D

• Like 2

Really depends on the system you are trying to create. I am always in favor of a sump . I have also run many AIO . The sump allows you more options. If space is limited and a AIO is the answer then try and stick to the K.I.S.S. method and rely on water changes and top off manually skip the fuge and skimmers that fit a system this size are really ineffective. If you are all about the gadgets or just want to have the room for more options then a sump is really the only way to go!

I am a sump guy all the way...

However, on my son's tank, kind of liking the AIO for one reason.  Water on the floor....

• No drilled holes in the outside of the tank, anywhere.
  • No power off issues overflowing the sump.
  • No out of tank water connections
  • No worries about back siphoning.

So perhaps that is one advantage.  

Still a sump guy but this turns out to be a safer setup for his room.

Sump.

But back in the day when I was a renter it was sump less for me. I had a 30ish gallon? Don't remember. For flow/skimmer and filter I used two Aquaclear 300's. In one I ran the typical sponge&carbon. In the other I used a hang on skimmer hanging on the back of a Aquaclear 300 with no lid. This way the only thing that was sticking in the tank was the Aquaclear inlet tubes. This tank also used the old school wood canopy so none of that crap was seen.

IIRC CPR use to make a hang on refugium with a built in skimmer.