New Project

I've been brainstorming this new project for a long time now. I know that I can't actually set it up until we buy a house and move later this year, but I was getting itchy, so I decided to at least give it a trial run with pieces I have laying around. The only thing I had to buy was a bulkhead, and the 2$ paint mixing tub from ace. I used an oversized bulkhead so I could hide the return line in the overflow pipe. It's working exactly as I hoped it would. I'm super excited for this to come together.

The final project will be a ceramic planter bowl I picked up a month ago. I just need to find a 2.25" diamond hole saw to drill the hole for the bulkhead. The bowl is unglazed clay on the inside, so I'm planning to paint it black, then seal it with clear fiberglass resin.

Mostly, I need to save my pennies for a chiller.

AD0F6944-C459-45B0-A15A-6E305263842A_zps

DF0574B8-80AE-4203-868E-4630ABA9CB6E_zps

• Like 1

So zen like, very cool!  So the return is the white pipe in the overflow?  Smart!

Hey, maybe you need a poka yoke in it though like a sink being it will be a new house and all ;)

http://www.velaction.com/definition-poka-yoke/

• Overflow drains on a sink (the holes high up on the side) are examples ofpoka yoke devices that prevent making a mess when filling the basin up with water.

<p>

So zen like, very cool! So the return is the white pipe in the overflow? Smart!

Hey, maybe you need a poka yoke in it though like a sink being it will be a new house and all ;)

http://www.velaction.com/definition-poka-yoke/

• Overflow drains on a sink (the holes high up on the side) are examples ofpoka yoke devices that prevent making a mess when filling the basin up with water.

Holy crap! Lol Jeremy , you thought me something today! Nearly 25 years in the construction fields and that's the first time I've ever heard that. Thanks!

• Like 1

I need some opinions...

The inside of the bowl I'm using is unglazed clay. It's kind of a reddish color. I want to paint it, but I can't decide if black or white would be better.

Black would make the corals pop more, but white would make the whole thing brighter overall. What do you guys think?

• 1 month later...

Progress!

I spray painted the inside of the bowl black with krylon fusion, then sealed it all with a few layers of envirotex lite, pour on epoxy.

A9494D67-0E4B-455B-996C-2C7DB16F8A78_zps

I also found a stand that I think will work. I'm thinking about sanding and repainting the stand a darker color. Now I just need to find something to use for a sump. The bottom section of the stand is basically a 16" cube, so the 10g tank I was going to use won't work. I also need to find a way to hide a chiller. Oh well, one thing at a time I guess.

F02AC16D-9609-4EDB-A874-3215D6FB4450_zps

4AC50154-9428-4149-AAE7-E423706BC647_zps

• Like 2

Thanks guys. I'm pretty happy with the way it's coming together.

I don't have a specific chiller in mind yet... I'm going to need one that's 1/10th hp. I'm sure it won't be able to fit in the stand, but maybe I'll get one of those hollow ottomans from Jeremy's post a few weeks back.