Odd Ball 31 gal Mixed Reef

Jeramy

So I ordered some of this http://champion-lighting-and-supply-co.amazonwebstore.com/Blue-Life-Clear-FX-Pro-450/M/B006C3O14K.htm?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=froogle saw it on mr saltwater tank and thought I would give it a go my chemipure is ready to be replace so I thought I would try this its twice as much money so we will see if it is worth it =) My tank has also been running hot this last week or so as the temps are rising out side. I was shocked last night I tested the water it was 83 I put a fan in the stand blowing over the sump and I raised the hood up a bit so it is not sitting right on top of the tank. I checked both 50w heatersand they have not been kicking on my first though was that they were malfunctioning. after the changes my tank was still 80 this morning. a chiller is out of the budget any tips for dropping the temp of my water would be great thanks =)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just brainstorming...

using a bigger fan, ventilating opening up the stand to let more heat escape, dropping in some RO ice cubes into the sump (works just fine on a nano/pico setup).

Turning off some of the pumps/powerheads might help as well, but then you have less flow. :(

I've got some whisper quiet 4" computer fans that would probably help tremendously for your heating issue. I'd recommend one or two in the hood and another in the sump area pulling air out. That high of a temp seems pretty odd; I'd be checking your pumps to see that they're not ultra hot. Even a simple 6" office fan across the top of the sump or across the tank surface would help tremendously as well.

Just brainstorming...

using a bigger fan, ventilating opening up the stand to let more heat escape, dropping in some RO ice cubes into the sump (works just fine on a nano/pico setup).

Turning off some of the pumps/powerheads might help as well, but then you have less flow. :(

I've got some whisper quiet 4" computer fans that would probably help tremendously for your heating issue. I'd recommend one or two in the hood and another in the sump area pulling air out. That high of a temp seems pretty odd; I'd be checking your pumps to see that they're not ultra hot. Even a simple 6" office fan across the top of the sump or across the tank surface would help tremendously as well.

Thanks for the tips I am gonna put these into action and get the temp stable I think I found part of the problem one of the oceanic power heads has been going out and I think its time to get some korila nanos instead. I would get an mp10 but my wife might kill me for spending more on a pump then I did on the tank =)

I've known people with large tanks to drop two-liter bottles of ice in a sump, you could do it with smaller containers. no need to use RO, won't affect salinity, keep two of whatever container so you can have one freezing while one's melting.

fan's a good choice though.

http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/fan_tray.html. Good link on a little DIY fan assembly. I bought my fans at Fry's for SIGNIFICANTLY less than the aquarium specific ones, but they don't have temp sensors or power cords. You just need a 12V wall bug to power up to 3 of them. Sounds like you'd need them to run 24/7 anyway if you're that hot overnight. I'll caution you on their 120V models; I tried them and they were way too loud. You're going to want something less than 20dB rating in your living room.

So I added some 6.5 pounds of more live rock to the tank today which should put me up over the 30 pound mark .

Before

DSCF1086.jpg

After

DSCF1446.jpg

I also picked up a new goodie for my tank tonight Pictures to come soon (naughty)

What's your sps frag up there?

Green Birds nest if you are talking bout the top center the other three are really cool but I dont know there names =)

Wow that candy cane really took off for you... Glad it's doing well' date=' oh and great tank you started there.[/quote']

I really like it thanks for awesome frag. =)

What's your sps frag up there?

Green Birds nest if you are talking bout the top center the other three are really cool but I dont know there names =)

Wow that candy cane really took off for you... Glad it's doing well' date=' oh and great tank you started there.[/quote']

I really like it thanks for awesome frag. =)

So I had a demo from Epic1 with Reefstar Led. He showed me several of his lighting options and how they would look over my tank and spent time explaining the pros and cons of what I was looking at. After his awesome demo I picked out his new par56 lamp. I was not sold on the par lamps after my experience with the par 38 from ecoxotic. How ever the par 56 has great spread and little to no color banding that I have seen with other par lamps.

DSCF1495.jpg

DSCF1494.jpg

I am still using my stunner stips on the tank to light the edges but the par56 does all of the heavy lifing in the middle where the higher light corals are.

Before T5 and Stunner strips total 120 watts of lighting

DSCF1450.jpg

After par56 and stunner strips 45 watts of lighting

DSCF1481.jpg

The T5s put out a lot of heat which I am no longer dealing with also the water has a crispness that you really have to see to believe. I am very impressed with the quality of this light and would recomend it to people with tanks 30 gal or less looking to go led and not break the bank =)

That's a great amount of light for your tank. How much did the "bulb" run you?

Yes I was very happy with the light spread and intensity.

Very nice!

I like how it made your corals a little more viberant (clap)

It really does seem to be a cleaner light.

Got some new goodies today I will have to wait till tomorrow to post pictures But I was really stoked so I thought I would post now. I got my frag pack at rose city came with a hammer green base purple tips what I am pretty sure is a war coral of some sort about 5" across and a chunk of rock with 150 polyps at least of gorilla nipples this one also came with a brittle star attached to it. I also recently got a new K1 pump from kenny rplaced my dying oceanic pump woot the extra flow is much appreciated by my corals and am hoping it will help me with my recent resurgence of cyano. It comes it goes I had it wooped in the biocube before I transfered to this system then about a week ago here it comes rearing its ugly head. I am almost to the point of chemical warfare but not quite my out breaks are small and I seem to be able to beat them with more frequent water changes =)I have also started to dose some alk to help keep it up I have been getting more stony corals which I hope will help with my high calcium. I have my temp under control with the led switch and the fact that I had to go topless for the Par lamp. Speaking of the par lamp I am really loving this new par56 lamp. The corals seem to have really taken a liking to it as well should be getting a lot of growth from every thing in my tank. I will fill in the blanks when I get more pics tomorrow =)

Ok her they are this is the frag pack I got from Rose City that I won in the raffle at the last meeting =)

DSCF1584.jpg

DSCF1586.jpg

DSCF1587.jpg

These next few are just some of the cool new things I have gotten from fellow reefers in the club =)

DSCF1591.jpg

DSCF1590.jpg

DSCF1589.jpg

I cant my living room has no were to put a bigger tank I am stuck with this till I get a bigger place wich wont be any time soon. But yes I am stating to fill up will be nice whan things grow out and stop looking like abunch of frags =)

• 1 month later...

So its been about a month and I thought I would share some of the new things I have done with my tank. First off I used a fish trap that I got from Reefnjunkie and removed the hawk fish from my tank. I loved the fish very cool but he took an adverse liking to my clean up crew. It was getting expensive with him around. Secondly I have some apistaisa that are growing out of control attempts to kill them only seemed to be making them spread faster. I wanted a solution that would eat them however my hawk fish would make that into a costly snack. I picked up some pepermint shrimp from TPA today got three of them and hope they will start to work on the smaller ones I will still kalk paste the big ones. So on to the big stuff I know yall want to see the pics who cares about the rest right =)

Ok so I met up with Kenny today and picked up a second par56 lamp from him. I also built a nice fixture to mount my two lights in no more wires dangling from the ceiling. That makes the wife happy =)

DSCF1742.jpg

I used some 1/2 in pvc to make the frame supports and peice of metal c channel to mount the lights on and a couple of sockets. I ran the wires through the pvc to keep it all clean and neat.

DSCF1743.jpg

DSCF1744.jpg

The light spread on this is amazing it over laps in the middle to create a higher par zone for the light loving corals and gets lower as you go out to the edges. I have very complete coverage of light in the system 24" x 15" x 20". The two lights use a total of 42watts of power and make the tank look amazing.

DSCF1745.jpg

DSCF1748.jpg

DSCF1746.jpg

DSCF1749.jpg

DSCF1750.jpg

I moved the stunner strips to the sump I am going to put some xenia and gsp down there as well as let the app grow like make to help with my filtration. I am currently doing some research on some peacful tank mates for my pair of clowns at some point down the road I would like to get a mandarin dragonet. I dont want any fish that will pester my shrimp or clean up crew and no big bullies =) If they cant play nicely with my clowns then they cant play. Oh yeah I forgot to mention I also picked up a couple of cheap moon lights from TPA =)