Odd Ball 31 gal Mixed Reef

Jeramy

So its been about a month and I thought I would share some of the new things I have done with my tank. First off I used a fish trap that I got from Reefnjunkie and removed the hawk fish from my tank. I loved the fish very cool but he took an adverse liking to my clean up crew. It was getting expensive with him around. Secondly I have some apistaisa that are growing out of control attempts to kill them only seemed to be making them spread faster. I wanted a solution that would eat them however my hawk fish would make that into a costly snack. I picked up some pepermint shrimp from TPA today got three of them and hope they will start to work on the smaller ones I will still kalk paste the big ones. So on to the big stuff I know yall want to see the pics who cares about the rest right =)

Ok so I met up with Kenny today and picked up a second par56 lamp from him. I also built a nice fixture to mount my two lights in no more wires dangling from the ceiling. That makes the wife happy =)

DSCF1742.jpg

I used some 1/2 in pvc to make the frame supports and peice of metal c channel to mount the lights on and a couple of sockets. I ran the wires through the pvc to keep it all clean and neat.

DSCF1743.jpg

DSCF1744.jpg

The light spread on this is amazing it over laps in the middle to create a higher par zone for the light loving corals and gets lower as you go out to the edges. I have very complete coverage of light in the system 24" x 15" x 20". The two lights use a total of 42watts of power and make the tank look amazing.

DSCF1745.jpg

DSCF1748.jpg

DSCF1746.jpg

DSCF1749.jpg

DSCF1750.jpg

I moved the stunner strips to the sump I am going to put some xenia and gsp down there as well as let the app grow like make to help with my filtration. I am currently doing some research on some peacful tank mates for my pair of clowns at some point down the road I would like to get a mandarin dragonet. I dont want any fish that will pester my shrimp or clean up crew and no big bullies =) If they cant play nicely with my clowns then they cant play. Oh yeah I forgot to mention I also picked up a couple of cheap moon lights from TPA =)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to say that it has been less then a week with my pepermint shrimp and my tank is completely free of Aiptasia.

(clap) (rock2) (laugh) (hungry) (party) (drinking)

I would also like to thank Reefnjunkie who loaned me the fish trap that caught the hawk fish and made this possible and also Garrett at TPA for taking my fish and selling me three awesome healthy pepermint shrimp.

Yeah I plan to keep them they are cool and I love how they sway too and frow like like they are listening to a band that only they can hear =) Yes they will steal food from corals I dont have anything that has to be fed to survive and besides with them in there I dont have to worry about getting a stray aip in my tank when I buy frags =) I would post pictures but they are camera shy .

• 4 weeks later...

Update with some pics. I got my hands on an old tripod to mount my little camera on Seems to help me take some better shots =)

I added a mp10 to my system thanks to Omar. (clap)

I also got some new sps from Frank FrankB Sman.(clap)

My Zoas have rcovered and are out of QT I don't have pics of those yet but will in my next update.(clap)

I also picked up a little yellow clown gobie from Garrett (he would not cooperate for the photo shoot) (clap)

Orange and green cap from Kate and Mark. (clap)

and many other goodies from our local reefers 90% of the corals I have have come from members of this AWESOME club (clap)

Now for some shamless pics of my tank that I think is startin to look like a reef =)

DSCF1939.jpg

DSCF1916.jpg

DSCF1942.jpg

DSCF1912.jpg

DSCF1941.jpg

DSCF1929.jpg

DSCF1920.jpg

DSCF1917.jpg

Thanks for looking I will post some pics of my recovered zoas very soon =)

Ok So here are some Updated picture of my new fish (Tom) and my two clowns (Merry and Pippin) also some shots of the zoa garden back in place after the zoa pox treatments. I nipped it in the bud lost a few zoas in the process learned alot and also some of them lost a bit of color , the candy apple reds are looking moor like candy apple browns the pink zippers are looking more like whit zippers and the bam bams have lost a bit of their bam =) I figure the colors should come back in full force they just need some time. I am however done buying any zoas for a while not to mention I just dont have the room for any more.

DSCF1981.jpg

DSCF1961.jpg

DSCF1993.jpg

DSCF1996.jpg

DSCF2015.jpg

No pix this time I forgot to unplug the camera when I last uploaded pictures to photo bucket and now my battery is dead. I have a bad habit of that. I added sand to my fuge in my sump. about 15 pounds of it. making for a nice deep sand bed in there extra filter power =) In the process even though I rinsed the sand things got a little cloudy when I turned the pumps back on. My display clouded up pretty good and i NOTICED ALL OF ONE TYPE OF SNAIL MAID A B LINE STRAIGHT TO THE TOP. [language filter] caps =( as the water started to clear I noticed that the snails were spawning about 8 of them all at once which did not help to clear the water but the fish thought it was food and were going nut I think my corals were happy as well. I have noticed lots of tiny tiny little snails in my tank so I dont think it is the first time it has happened I am just surpised any could survive. I may have some snails to get rid of in the neear future. Sorry I dont know what type as they came in a mixed bag I got from garrett back at my start of reef keeping =)

Edit: I am pretty sure after doing a google search that they are margarita snails and the one that I have already had hatch and are cralling around are cerith snails =)

I could be entirely wrong though.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok just an update here with a few pictures. I added a hood and put some trim around the base of my tank makes it look more finished.

DSCF2095.jpg

DSCF2097.jpg

I got a good shot of my zoa garden with my clowns posing for their close up. (Merry on the left and Pippen on the right)

Zoagarden72512.jpg

This is a pic of the acan I got from Noob it it doing good I was going to try and frag it but now that I have it in place I think I may just keep it there is a paice that boke off that is just haning on by a threa I may cut it off but am going to other wise leav it intact till it out grows its new home.

DSCF2101.jpg

And to wrap it all up I will end it with a full tank shot =)

DSCF2098.jpg

Dude how did you het those montis to stick on the side that is awesome looking

I got frag plug from TPA that has a magnet in it and I just super glue them to the frag plug. I did have to double up on the magnets because of the wieght. My clown goby loves to hang out in there between the two =)

• 2 weeks later...

Went Back to TPA today and met up with Roger. I was torn between getting one of the huge mandarins they had or one of the beautiful flame angles that they had. After much debate and pushing the limits of my families patience I went with

DSCF2128.jpg

A very fat and healthy specimen. He makes my babies breath look kind of plain sitting next to it. No name for this one yet but will more then liikely follow the rest and be somthing from Tolkien. =)

Got my brine shrimp bubbling away should have some little shrimps tomorrow. To help suplement my mandarin with he took a little nip at some rods food today, and is interested in the food but not eating it yet. I will keep target feeding him and add more live foods. The benifit I have is that the two clowns I have are to dopey to be aggressive and my clow goby is scared to death of this monsterous mandarin. So I dont have any one compeeting with him for food. In fact the clowns went almost 24hours before they even noticed he was in the tank. =)