Odd Ball 31 gal Mixed Reef

Jeramy

Yeah thats kinda small but the one I got with the set up was way to loud so I need to do some skimmer shopping for a silent skimmer thats rated around 40 gallons. I thought I might try and build one but we will see I am very busy right now might not have the spare tinkering time for that.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Made a few mods to my over flow today and as per my norm I was so into the work I forgot to take any pictures =) I put a cap on the one inch drain and then drilled several 3/8 inch holes on the stand pipe just below the cap I also lowered the emergency over flow hight so it can kick in sooner in an emergency. Then I removed the ball valve and the ribbedflex drain line from the one inch main drain and put in a gate valve with some smooth black flexible drain line. Now my herbie drain is completely silent no water fall sound no air bubble no toilets nothing but pure silence I am so happy as my tank is in the living room and needs to be silent to keep the wife happy =) I have not put any thing new in the system lately but am looking for a medium sized silent skimmer to out in my sump. I also want to get a pair of clowns misbar oragne and whites or maybe just some plain old occellaris clowns not to sure but I see a visit to vancouver in my futrue =)

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm. I never thought of that aspect of ocellaris. I was actually amazed how long-lived they are. I got a pair in 1999 and one is still alive at my family's house in Illinois. The pair were separated by a thin sheet of plastic and they both became females and then there was murderous vengeance for all the bullying over the years.

Thanks Dave =)

:DGot some misbar picasso clowns from dave last night. Very cool fish with some unique stipes. They will fit in nicely in the oddball mixed reef. So with out any more babbling her are some pics.

DSCF1391.jpg

DSCF1392.jpg

DSCF1393.jpg

DSCF1394.jpg

My hawk fish is not to happy about the new additions but as it take him a lot of energy to swim in the open water he only gives it a half hearted attempt. May need to get a nem for these guys.

Thanks folks. I am lovin my new clowns. I had a interesting pic of my GSP it seems to be taking on a branching form of growth. I always thought they would grow to conform to a surface but this stuff seems to be reaching for the sky.

DSCF1417.jpg

I snapped this with the lights off this morning when all th polyps were closed thought it was kind of cool. I also was moving a frag of some type of pally today and accidently dropped right on my acan who latched on and would not let go. they are both still really pissed right now not sure if the pally will pull through I think the acan thought it was gettting a free meal . I am still trying to find some hermit crabs that are falco proof for my clean up crew unfortunately blue leggs are just the right sized little snacks for him.

So yeah the clowns dont want anything to do with any of my corals. I have seen them fluttering around in the sand quite a bit though. They realy like my hawk fish its like some kind of strange love triangle that they have going on. I will often seen the three of them just hanging out with no aggresion. However every time I try and snap a picture of it they move apart like I walked in on a private moment they were having (laugh)