Odd Ball 31 gal Mixed Reef

Jeramy

The time has come. I am uppgrading from my Biocube 14 to a 31 gallon acryllic. External over flow sump protien skimmer the whole nine yards. The tank came with a 4 bulb T5 ho that I rill be using in conjunction with my four ecoxotic stunner strips. Here are some pictures of the set up when I brought it home.

100_3933-1.jpg

100_3935-1.jpg

100_3937-1.jpg

Now the tank needs some work. There are some scratches that I will need to buff out. I will also need to redo some of the plumbing. Not sure if I have the roomin the over flow to do a bean animal but would like to try. I will also be building a hood to match the stand I already have built. I will also be rewiring the lights so I can mount them in the neww hood. Also will need to clean off all the equipment as it has been sitting for almost a year. So hear we go wish me luck =)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Her are a couple of pictures of my rockin stand I built I am still building the hood and getting my lights mounted. Figuring out the plumbing and buffing out scratches but its coming along =)

100_3946.jpg

100_3947.jpg

My wife had a great idea to start my sand and extra rock cycling in a 10gal to help with the tank transition.

100_3945.jpg

I am sure I will be in need of more rock but have 10lbs of rock and 20 more pounds of sand cycling in the 10. My cube has about 10-15 pounds of sand and about 15 pounds of rock so i should be close but we will see =)

Just an up date on the system I did some work on the sump added a chamber for the fuge. I also got all my plumbing roughed in I have not glued it yet. My pump is a rio 2100 I believe it has 693 gph. I built a manifold that dpilts it 2 ways with a third t to be used for water changes or a reactor later on.

100_3992.jpg

one line will feed a hydor rotating head and the other will be going to some lock line in the other corner. Both are 1/2 inch lines. The main drain is a 1 inch line going to the the filter sock I have a ball valve on there to control the flow to create a 100% syphon. I will also be using a emergency drain as back up that will go as straight as posible to the sump.

100_3993.jpg

100_3991.jpg

I ran a test of the protien skimmer and she works like a champ =) This might be over kill but beats the pants off the little 4 inch air stone driven skimmer I am running on my cube now!

100_3983.jpg

I just need to finish my hood for the lights and glue the plumbing then will be ready to leak test the system. Hope to have salt water in it by the end of the week unless work gets in my way =)

Just thought I would give a little up date got the tank set up and water in it have some rock and sand in there now that has been cycling for the last 2 weeks

I want to get some more sand and maybe a few smaller peices of live rock to put in. I am working out the kinks in the over flow trying to get it as silent as possible. Also I think I am going to have to get rid of the skimmer it might work great in a garage frag tank but it is way to loud for my livingroom. I also will need to figure out just where I am going to stick all my power cords and what not. I was thinking that some time next week or so I would make the transfer from the little cube to the new tank.

DSCF1059.jpg

Ok so I have been about as patient as I can be I think I am going to move my nano into the new tank! The extra rock and sand I will be adding to what I already had in the nano has been cycling for almost 3 weeks now. I added about ten pounds of live sand to the mix as well. I have also been using biozyme bactiria to jump start the process I added some mysis shrimp to the tank when I first started the cycle. I only have one fish which is a falcos hawkfish about 2"

so my bioload should be light. So hear is to knocking on wood hoping and praying that I dont have a huge ammonia spike when I make the transfer(drinking)

(yahoo) I did it! Just got done moving every thin over to the new set up. Got the stunner stips mounted from my bio cube into the t5 light so that in the space between the bulbs every other one is t5 led t5 led, the leds are also below the t5s a bit to give the heat room to disipate. My hawk fish who looked like a giant in my biocube looks really small in his new home. I will post some pictures tomorrow when the lights are on. I found a really good way to move the sand bed from one tank to another with out stirring up a ton of seddiment using a mason jar it worked great thing got a little cloudy but considering i moved a 5 month old sand bed into the new tank I think it did great. Now it is past my bed time. It really sucks when its 10:15 and I am saying its past my bed time wow well any ways!

Ok so much ofr waiting till tomorrow Her are some pictures I snapped tonight.

This is my cloudy tank with the moon lights on they are not realy as bright as they look in this picture.

DSCF1082.jpg

Here is my pretty sump all set up and wired up =)

DSCF1072.jpg

The fuge.

DSCF1079.jpg

and a close up of the mod I did to make the biocube skimmer work better it only increases the lift by an inch but thats 25% in a 4 inch skimmer =)

DSCF1077.jpg

And yes those are frag pluggs in the fuge. I needed live rock robble to put in there and the mystery bucket I got at the january meeting had like five pounds of home made frag plugs so I cycled them with the live rock and tossed them in the fuge =)