Sharoleb's 90 Gallon

sharoleb

Thanks Kim!

You're welcome. You have some nice colonies. Is that blue rimmed one a $500 efflo (that name always cracked me up). It's nice to see a big Duncan colony. I remember a few years back they were all the rage but I don't see them as often now. Nice Candy apple red colony. We don't typically have very big colonies of anything because we can't stay away from the frag tools! (laugh)

Yep, that's a $500 efflo. I got it a huge frag/mini colony from Garrett at the Premium Aquarium a while ago. It's grown out nicely. I love the name too LOL. I tell people it's name and they think I actually paid that much. (laugh)

I got the Duncan from Sota's when I still had my 36, right before they got popular. It is still one of my favorites. My candy apples started from Jesse w/ 2 polyps. They have grown a ton! I've thought about fragging them a lot, since the rock they are on comes out easily, but I'm just too lazy. (whistle)

Yep, that's a $500 efflo. I got it a huge frag/mini colony from Garrett at the Premium Aquarium a while ago. It's grown out nicely. I love the name too LOL. I tell people it's name and they think I actually paid that much. (laugh)

I got the Duncan from Sota's when I still had my 36, right before they got popular. It is still one of my favorites. My candy apples started from Jesse w/ 2 polyps. They have grown a ton! I've thought about fragging them a lot, since the rock they are on comes out easily, but I'm just too lazy. (whistle)

I remember seeing it at Garrett's. I wonder if that was the one from Rubberduck's tank. It's growing very well for you! Well it's probably best you stay away from the fragging tools. We got too frag happy on the one colony we had and lost it but fortunately with the growouts it seems everyone around here has them :). It's still in my top 10 list of favorite zoas!

maybe a scalple and a syphon cut them away from the rock while syphoning them out.

Nope that wont work-just spreads the rotten, I mean beautiful little things-man Ihope I was not that person that solld those to you-I HAD them in my tank also but not anymore.

I think a thread (sticky) should be made of all the things we add to our tank and somertimes regret later;

GSP

Blue cloves

Xenia

zoas-unles you want to them to cover the ENTIRE rock you glue them too-so seperate rocks are ok but they will over time cover every square inch

Back to topic;

Your tank is looking very nice!

Thanks Brad. I got the cloves from someone else, and no blame is put on him. :)

I am super stoked, bought an mp40 vortech last night. It's amazing! Can't believe how much water it moves! Is it bad I already want another one?

Also, I stopped by Upscales today, picked up a tail spot blenny. I've been wanting one forever, idly checking the fish stores for one for about a year and a half. I almost got 2 more purple fire fish but I also needed salt, cleaner crew, not to mention a vortech lol. The fire fish can wait

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you!

Just added new BRS Rox carbon and GFO the other day. I've gotten a touch more algae than normal so I thought I'd try the GFO.

So yesterday I had the day off. In the morning I noticed my bird's nest turning a little white at the base. As the day went on, every time I passed the tank it seemed like one more branch is white. By the time I woke up this morning, the whole thing is bleached. Also last night I noticed my stylo turning white at the base, and nearly no PE, which is odd because the style PE is always super extended. GRRRRRR this has never happened to me before! I checked my refractometer first, and it was a few degrees off, so my salinity is .023 instead of .026. This might have happened during the last few water changes I did over 2 weeks time to clean up the sump a little bit. I'm going to make saltwater tonight and top off with that until my salinity is back to normal. I didn't have a chance to run the rest of the tests, will do that tonight.

This is strange to me because the bird's nest and stylo would appear to be the hardiest SPS that I've got in the tank. My Cali Tort is doing great, $500 efflo is fine, all of my sensitive SPS are fine.

Not sure what the heck I'm going to do....... I would think if it was due to the carbon and GFO then my softies and ricordias would be affected by cleaner water than the SPS....

Thoughts please?

So the bird's nest is almost completely gone. It looks like the branches that survived are now fine. They stylo popped back to normal also. I ran my tests Friday night and this is what I came up with:

SG: .0245 - on my way to bringing it back up

CA: 440

PH: 8.3

Nitrates: 0

Ammonia: 0

Nitrate: 0

dKH: 7

My KH is really low! Does several water changes make that better or worse?

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks! No problems with them touching, I think since they are the same type of coral.

My line of thinking was this: corals with contrasting colors are expensive, and usually slow growers. I chose to take some cheaper corals that were different colors and grow them together. I did the same w/ my nuc greens and purple deaths, and a couple others. Don't get me wrong, I still like the spendy corals, but I am impatient for them to grow. Like my dragon sould favia, I've had it for a year, and it went from one eye to 3, very slow. I know "impatient" is bad for this hobby, but I find ways around that. :D

Archived