Grassi's 65g

grassi

now that looks like a great T5 bulb combo. very nice colors!

Thanks! It looks really nice. I used to have another 6x54w T5 with a different bulb combination but I didn't like it and I went back to halides/phoenix.

This new light is already making me change my mind (whistle)

The par readings are pretty much the same with my bulb combo.

You were able to take par readings??? Aww yu have a par meter-(whistle)

If you noted the numbers at different levels, I would be interested.

I know last I checked mine I had about 1000 at 2" below the surface (where my highest acro is) and 380-400 at the sand bed, I have roughly 23" from the bottom of the lights to the sand bed.

Do I see another T5 vs MH thread or poll maybe-please NO-(laugh)

You were able to take par readings??? Aww yu have a par meter-(whistle)

If you noted the numbers at different levels, I would be interested.

I know last I checked mine I had about 1000 at 2" below the surface (where my highest acro is) and 380-400 at the sand bed, I have roughly 23" from the bottom of the lights to the sand bed.

Do I see another T5 vs MH thread or poll maybe-please NO-(laugh)

I'm sensing another T5 vs MH debate coming to a forum near you!;) It looks like the T5 crowd has another convert!:p Now we can add LEDs to the contraversy too!(laugh)

Kim, I just got the right fixture with the right bulbs.

This fixture is much more bright than the other I tried before.

I like both MH and T5. Most of the time it depends on your tank inhabitants and their disposition with the rockscaping. To be honest I like the t5 more than the halide on the display, and vice versa for the frag tank.

The great advantage of t5's is their lower running price at pretty much the same effectiveness.

The meaning of my post was this: you can pretty much have the same par of mh, so the same growth rate depending on photosynthesis with less money and more color control.

Not to mention the look of the slim t5 fixtures on open top tanks.

Brad, I don't have a par meter: I've found a thread (I think it was on RC) where somebody was comparing the powermodule to some 250 Mh, with par readings.

Also a few weeks ago I saw one of our members measuring his powermodule and the readings were similar to the ones you were mentioning. Sorry, I can't tell the name. People with par meters do like to hide lol, but it is not difficult to find out if you read back ;)

My consideration (and excitement) is only about this fixture: I tried another well known t5 fixture and I wasn't satisfied

Roy, I have a couple of 54w t5 in my maristar. They help some.

Anyway, the light it's up and running and you are all free to check it out :)

• 1 month later...

A couple of pics of some of the frags I recently added:

The original Orenji Monti. I think this is the brighter monti I have ever seen. Makes the Setosa look "bla".

IMG_6159.jpg

I can't recall the name of this guy. I saw the mother colony and it was stunning. I had to have a frag. I have a little piece that broke off if anybody is interested.

It is even nicer by person, more gold is present

IMG_6160_2.jpg

IMG_6162.jpg

Moving things around and upgrading some lights.

I moved all the rics and zoas in the 40b, while I will grow sps in the tank known as the "Ricordeum" under the T5 powermodule. For the ricordea and zoa/paly I went for a 250w Radium.

I will raise all the corals on some egg crate (about 4 inches), allowing some flow below the corals frags. Some new powerheads will keep the bottom of the tank clean.

IMG_6208.jpg

IMG_6213.jpg

IMG_6214.jpg

IMG_6215.jpg

IMG_6216.jpg

Yes the pm was too much light at now. The problem is that t5's put out light in each direction while the MH is more "spot". The polyps of a ricordea looks better when there is more contrast, like with a MH, in my opinion.

Probably with some months of acclimation they will do great. I just don't have the time to wait and I thought that the pm is perfect for the sps

Most ricordia like high light (some people grow them under 400w), but there are some color variations that tend to loose pigment if there is too much light

Do you still have the little piece that broke off of that chalice?

A couple of pics of some of the frags I recently added:

The original Orenji Monti. I think this is the brighter monti I have ever seen. Makes the Setosa look "bla".

IMG_6159.jpg

I can't recall the name of this guy. I saw the mother colony and it was stunning. I had to have a frag. I have a little piece that broke off if anybody is interested.

It is even nicer by person, more gold is present

IMG_6160_2.jpg

IMG_6162.jpg