Grassi's 65g

grassi

• 2 weeks later...

Big change in my setup. I got a 3 channel doser and I switched from Kalk to Balling Light (BRS alk, ca, mg and Fauna Marin supplements).

I'm also SLOWLY raising my specific gravity, shortening the photoperiod and mostly changing the ionic balance a little bit for my new plans. I will keep the weekly 10% water changes.

I had great results, especially in growth, with the previous method, but I feel the need to have more stability and concentrate on color now that the sps colonies are taking over.

So far I love this little doser. After many researches and asking here and there I feel like this is the best method for my needs: how nice is to change your ca, alk and mg with a few buttons? And without the risk and pain of ph being too high or too low that you can have with reactors.

I also ordered my new skimmer. The glorious NAC6 was just too small for the new water volume and the number and size of corals.

After considering Bubble King, Deltec, Reef Octopus and i-tech I went for a custom ATB 1050 V. 1.5 that will be here in a few weeks, hopefully.

IMG_5958.JPG

How do you know how much of each to dose?

What are you raising you your specific gravity to? What do you think this change?

What are you shortening the photoperiod to? What do you think this change

You have to have a target for the 3 of them. Once you know how much your system is consuming of each in ionic balance you will know how much to add for each daily. You can then divide the dose during the day.

Each tank is different, for example I want to keep my ph up raising alk, due to the fact that I can't lower the co2 amount. So I have an alk target. The demand of ca is related to the alk consumption. The mag is the last one you would set and it is mostly for the stability of the ionic balance.

I'm raising my sg from 33 to 35 because studies showed how being near to nsw is best. Also the salt I'm using has the amount of ca and alk I want at 35. So the weekly wc won't affect much my balance. magnesium is lower on my salt mix compared to my target. But this is not a big deal.

I'm shortening the photoperiod to about 8 hours. This is supposed to enhance the coloration vs growth. I'm more interested on the first right now.

You can find a lot of references about this effect on colors.

Big change in my setup. I got a 3 channel doser and I switched from Kalk to Balling Light (BRS alk, ca, mg and Fauna Marin supplements).

I'm also SLOWLY raising my specific gravity, shortening the photoperiod and mostly changing the ionic balance a little bit for my new plans. I will keep the weekly 10% water changes.

I had great results, especially in growth, with the previous method, but I feel the need to have more stability and concentrate on color now that the sps colonies are taking over.

So far I love this little doser. After many researches and asking here and there I feel like this is the best method for my needs: how nice is to change your ca, alk and mg with a few buttons? And without the risk and pain of ph being too high or too low that you can have with reactors.

I also ordered my new skimmer. The glorious NAC6 was just too small for the new water volume and the number and size of corals.

After considering Bubble King, Deltec, Reef Octopus and i-tech I went for a custom ATB 1050 V. 1.5 that will be here in a few weeks, hopefully.

IMG_5958.JPG

Sweet! I have been thinking about the dosing method since you first brought it up. I will be curious to see how it works out for you!

I just got a Compound microscope for the Mad Scientist side of the basement.

It's able to go up to 1000x with oil for bacteria identification. It took me a while to remember how to use it, especially the stains lol

It will be useful also for the clams breeding project.

IMG_5960.jpg

New Skimmer!

The new skimmer is up and running.

It's a custom ATB 1050 v.15 cone skimmer in white.

It has an Airstar pump. I've seen many skimmers, but this unit it's just amazing.

The quality of the product is incredible, especially the custom volute of the pump. The only noise it produces is the one from the bubbles.

It's probably the best skimmer you can get in the 250-400 gallons range.

It was packaged in 2 boxes, one was giant, sent directly from Victor:

IMG_5961.JPG

The airstar with the custom volute and pinwheel

IMG_5962.jpg

Body and pump:

IMG_5963.jpg

Old and new skimmer. The Atb is rated up to 450 gallons:

IMG_5964.JPG

Made in Austria (they don't even have the ocean!):

IMG_5965.JPG

Alex' date=' how much did that skimmer run you? I'd be definitely interested in checking one out one of these days.[/quote']

I can't tell. Some family members do read this forum lol

They are kinda expensive, but they are built to last. They have the latest innovations and it is rated for a bioload that should easily follow my system evolution and growth in the next 2 years.

great looking skimmer. IMO great skimmers cost good money and are worth every penny.

I agree. For us using some sort of Berlin method, the skimmer is really important.

I was happy with the previous skimmer I bought: it was perfect allowing my system to grow and invest some money for the right sized skimmer at the right time. Now I can overfeed my fish and corals :D

I agree. For us using some sort of Berlin method, the skimmer is really important.

I was happy with the previous skimmer I bought: it was perfect allowing my system to grow and invest some money for the right sized skimmer at the right time. Now I can overfeed my fish and corals :D

Let's hear it for overfeeding!(clap) So what are you going to do with the other skimmer Alex?

The new one is pretty nice!

Thanks! There is a thread about the clam hotel and one about the clam breeding project in the inverts section.

As for the ATB it started to break in today. This is what was produced in about one day:

IMG_5975.JPG

Plus this (about 2,5 gallons of skimmate). I was skimming a little bit wet the first hours because it is very sensitive to adjustments

IMG_5976.JPG

Check out how the bubbles became bigger and bigger going up to the cone. No turbulence at all! I love this skimmer.

IMG_5977.JPG

IMG_5978.jpg

New light for the Ricordeum

Ups dropped a couple of giant boxes today

IMG_5980.JPG

This is gonna be the new light for the Ricordeum frag tank. With the single 150w mh I wasn't able to cover all the tank. So I went for a 48'' ATI Powermodule 6x54w. This fixture is amazing. For the ones that are still thinking that MH are always better than T5, check out the colors and output of the fixture on my 65. The first pic is with the T5 while the second is with the Maristar MH. In the first pic there is some more shade on the corners due to the temporary 2x4 legs and corals are less open (light just on):

IMG_5981.JPG

IMG_5982.JPG

The par readings are pretty much the same with my bulb combo. So 300w instead of the 600w, less heat, more possibility to tune the color, less expensive bulb replacement... I'm seriously rethinking about T5.

But for now, this is gonna be for the frag tank.

Some random pics for testing the colors:

IMG_5985.jpg

IMG_5986.jpg

IMG_5989.jpg

IMG_5990.jpg

IMG_5991.JPG

IMG_5995.jpg

I like how the bulbs are able to get more red and green than a 14k halide.