Grassi's 65g

grassi

I do have a 96w PC light that I was thinking of using. I basically want to have a small tank to store the frags for GOC and possibly the prizes. But I know those lights wont support the prizes.

I can set you up with a 400w ballast and maybe a bulb if it is specifically used just for the GOC but it is probably overkill. Get someone to donate a 36" x 18" x 24" (I think thats about 65 gallons) then the light should keep any prizes alive. Or even 36x16x18 may be okay.

Hmm....that is a good idea. I think you are right on the overkill if that goes over a 20g. I was thinking of a 150w 20k.....I will see about getting a tank that size donated...might be a hard one though. I keep kicking myself for getting rid of my 150w 20k to COReefer, but it was a good trade and I think he is happy too. Sure would have helped out now though.

I have a 150W on a 10g. I thought it was overkilling and it is for some corals, like zoas.

But it is great for hard corals and clams. And with some good landscaping you can create spots for low-light specimen. I started with a 20k then moved to a 14k phoenix. Believe or not the 14k phoenix it is more blue than a ushio 20k.

I think that the sizes that Rick suggested are perfect for a second tank. A 20g, especially if it is the long version, it is too small as propagation tank.

I started the 100g rubbermaid as a propagation tank. The original idea was to have it connected to the display tank as many other configuration I have seen.

But at the end I went for 2 separate systems. If something goes wrong in one tank you can always move corals into the other.

As the wife, I have to intervene (yes we share the account! lol)

The 100 gallon rubbermaid was bought as a sump only for curing the dead rock we got from DJ Giantti.. not as a tank or a prop tank!!! Suddenly it's a "tank" not "sump" and today I come home and there's my favorite fish in it... how can I fight against it now..

They're tricky, these italians (scratch)

-Jamie

• 1 month later...

The new toy

I was finally able to add a controller to the 65 gallon.

Mostly for when I will be leaving the tank alone for one month in december (going back to Europe for holidays).

I got the new Neptune Apex with lab grade ph probe. So far I like it a lot, even if the user interface is kinda weird. Somehow is much easier to go advanced and program it just with the code.

At now I'm controlling:

main lights (I switch from Halides to T5 recently, just to give them a try)

fuge light

return pump

closed loop

skimmer

kalk reactor

moonlights

Heater and fan will be added later, they are the most dangerous..

I'm monitoring temperature and ph and I'm satisfied to see how the ph curves are stable even during the night (probably for the frequent kalk stirring).

post-5689-141867750195_thumb.jpg

Very Nice, you'll like the controller alot!. Do you have it hooked up to your network yet, I found programming thru the computer alot easier and you will be able to monitor your tank remotely while you are gone.

I just returned from three weeks away, is someone going to house sit for you?. If you come to the meeting we can talk about things that have come up on our trips, this time I did hire someone to come by once a week, clean, test, change media,etc and I had them come the day I was returning to have it clean when I got home.

• 2 months later...

Some updates

Updated FTS in the first post. In 3 months I've noticed a good growing rate on both soft and stony corals. Tank was unattended for about a month in december. Mostly was done with the help of the Apex controller, a not expert friend and, when all failed one day... with some great people from the forum (mytshall, thanks again!!!).

I had a little algae bloom, similar to some I experienced in the past in other tanks I started here in the US. In Italy we use to start/cycle the tanks in the dark for 1 month. I always felt that procedure not useful and boring, but I think that next tank is gonna follow the old school.

I added the ORP probe and I noticed my Mv a little down. So I re-planned a little bit the flow and filtration and in one week I'm already seeing good results. Let's hope :-)

Some pics:

First shows some improved flow, the sump and the tank full opened.

post-5689-141867752546_thumb.jpg

post-5689-141867752549_thumb.jpg

post-5689-141867752551_thumb.jpg

Yes, now we are mostly filling with some medium-size sps. We also moved some soft corals from the nanos. But I'm gonna move them in the new setup I'm planning, as soon as is ready. The 65 is gonna be sps only.

I added some flow other than the return and closed loop. I'm still running your gen-x in the CL :-)

I just added a modified Maxi Jet with the 1600gph impeller.

Then I added a double media reactor loaded with GFO pellets and large lignite.

I added the DI to mi RO. Fastly the reading on the ORP are going to the right numbers, if we can say that. Algae are disappearing, water is cleaning up and corals looking even better.

I keep adding just kalk on the top-off with the reactor, stirring accordingly to the ph with the Apex. I don't have a need of more calcium at now. I have the opposite problem, that's why I keep some cactus algae in the tank and sump. I added some fans near to the lights and switched to T5 from MH.

With the help of a little heater I can keep the temp in a range of half degree.

So in general I'm working on equilibrium and seems to give some good results.

I started adding just some vitamins, amminoacids and garlic for both coral and fish. Every once in a while, not following a schedule.

I keep adding iodine as a prevention for diseases (rtn, bugs and so on).

Until now I used to do 1 water change per week, about 10%.

I'm gonna try with a monthly water change + daily tiny water changes, like somebody used to do back in the days. I'm gonna see if is gonna work better, mostly for the fact that is also a way to add nutrients, trace elements and so on every day, and not all at once. If it is gonna work I will find a way to automate it, generating some sort of over-skimming and saltwater top-off.

• 2 months later...

Some corals I got this week

Got this beautiful monti form Miles (impur)

IMG_4503.JPG

and he was so nice to add a free frag!

IMG_4517.JPG

I got this from a friend:

IMG_4505.JPG

Some nice zoas:

IMG_4509.JPG

pearl lime lavender carlgreni

IMG_4522.JPG

Orinia torpida st thomas

IMG_4523.JPG

2 polyps of Purple People Eaters:

IMG_4525.JPG

grean grape lotus eater palys

IMG_4526.JPG

Aussie Hammer

IMG_4534.JPG

Not the best pic of a Scoly

IMG_4535.JPG

A local shop sold me a goniopora as a beginner coral when I was a beginner. This is my revenge: I want see if I'm able to keep it now

IMG_4536.JPG

I love capricornis. This is my new green with purple ring, thanks to reefnjunkie

IMG_4537.JPG

A big chalice that imo is gonna color up well

IMG_4538.JPG

My caleidoscopic cloves are growing fast, for the people who asked me a frag of it:

IMG_4518.JPG

I also got a beautiful yuma and a chalice that were not doing well and I'm gonna try to bring them back to life. Or I will just organize a coral funeral