Downhill's 200g Starfire Marineland Deep Dimension

downhill_biker

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

So I think it's time for an update. On tuesday I received my new pump (reeflo barracuda) and my new controller (AC Jr). I dont have the controller set up but the plumbing is mosty done. Due to the high cost of acrylic I decided to custom fit some salt bucket baffles. In the picture showing the sump the closest pic will be the drain, and is about 2" higher than the return bucket, which will determine the water level of the entire sump. Should work out pretty well, IMO.

Below the tank, going down to the June2009078.jpg

From the floor to the sump in the basement:

June2009079.jpg

And the sump:

June2009080-1.jpg

I also got some new rock, that has some very interesting shapes, so I redid my rockwork. It is finally starting to look like something I like. Not quite perfect, but better. Of course any comments or suggestions are always appreciated, everyone has a different eye for aquascaping.

June2009071-1.jpg

June2009073.jpg

June2009075.jpg

June2009076.jpg

thanks miles. i may end up cutting a u-shape out of the drain bucket, allowing me to direct which way the water flows. i would make the water flow toward the end furthest away from the return bucket. i plan to have my skimmer feeding back into the drain bucket in order to recycle some of the water through the sump.

I had the opportunity to get a new skimmer that was better than the Aqua Euro, so I jumped on it. This is my AquaC EV-1000 skimmer. It came without the spray injector, but right now it is running with a makeshift spray injector, and is doing pretty well. I have a new injector on order, but for the time being this think is ROCKIN'.

Some of you are very familiar with spray injection, but for those who aren't, basically it just uses a extremely high pressure pump, and a high restriction nozzle to make a very forceful spray, where air is added. This model has 2x 3/8" air inlets and it produces a ton of bubbles. I have the water level set at the top of the black box (reaction chamber) and the acrylic tube is all foam. The reaction chamber is built in a way that there is a moderate amount of turbulence and the foam can rise very stable. I am VERY impressed with this skimmer.

AquaCEV1000001.jpg

Ya, I believed you. When I heard you say that it was the same skimmer your shop used I figured it would be a good one.

It is being powered by my reeflo barracuda. It came with a Askoll pump, but there is no need to waste electricity if the return pump can power it.

I will also be using the same pump to return on my frag tank. This will allow me to replace 4 pumps on the frag system: the return pump, the 2x recirc pumps on my Aqua Euro 265, and the sedra 9000 NW that feeds the Aqua Euro.

Overall here is how the electricity useage worked out:

Reeflo Barracuda: 230w

Sedra 9000: 90w

2xRecirc Pumps: 40wx2 (80w)

Quiet One 4000 Return pump: 50w

Total Being Replaced: 220w

New Total: 230w

I look at it like my return pump and skimmer on the new tank is costing me an additional 10w of electricity. WOOOHOOO!!!

Hey Curtis - that is looking really sharp! I like the salt bucket baffles... that was a great idea and actually looks pretty clean (too bad they don't make them in black ;-) though). The rockwork is also really starting to take shape - the overall plan was great from the start but now it looks like you have some more varied pieces to make it work. I have the baby brother version of that skimmer and have been impressed as well... pretty low maintenance to boot.

Great job curtis - can't wait to see it filled with coral!!

Hey thanks Shawn. I did end up with a slightly different aquascape from the original plan, but I just kept messing with it and finally got something that I liked. I have changed it slightly since that last pic, but only for the better. :) What model do you have of the EV? I was shocked at how bada$$ this thing is. I heard they were good, but this technology is killer. IMO blows the needle wheel out of the water.

Hey thanks Shawn. I did end up with a slightly different aquascape from the original plan' date=' but I just kept messing with it and finally got something that I liked. I have changed it slightly since that last pic, but only for the better. :) What model do you have of the EV? I was shocked at how bada$$ this thing is. I heard they were good, but this technology is killer. IMO blows the needle wheel out of the water.[/quote']

I have the 180 which is obviously a lot smaller but still seems to work out well for my 120 gallon. Fortunately for me, it came with the system so I didn't have to do all the leg work to figure out it was a good choice. :D

I have the 180 which is obviously a lot smaller but still seems to work out well for my 120 gallon. Fortunately for me' date=' it came with the system so I didn't have to do all the leg work to figure out it was a good choice. :D[/quote']

Ya, I wish I would have known how good these were earlier. I always heard so much about needle wheels and how good they could be, mesh mod, bubble plate, ect, ect...but this thing blows my old skimmer away.

So I definitely have some changes going on right now in my tank. There is brown algae everywhere, which is a good thing, it's finally starting to mature.

acjr004.jpg

acjr005.jpg

Also got the Aquacontroller Jr. hooked up today. I only have it running my lights right now, but will put other things in later. I calibrated the pH probe and the 72g pH is great at 8.28, but the 200g is at 6.38. How do I get it to come up? Or will it naturally?

acjr007.jpg

acjr010.jpg

Stick an airstone in there and pull air from outside. That should bring it up nicely.

Coming along!! Keep up the good work.

BTW holy Koralia forest you should get a vortech or tunze in there man!

I would love to get a vortech, but those are WAY out of my price range. I can justify equipment like the controller and skimmer to my girlfriend, but can't justify an MP40, they are so expensive.

Gotta find one used! I see them all the time on RC brand new for 300-350. People just buy em, never open them and sell them for 100 less than brand new its crazy! (laugh)

Once you get that thing going and get some nice corals in there you can sell frags to help pay for a vortech or tunze.

I got a real good deal on my vortech.

I'd save up or sell frags instead of swapping the koralias with the rio/seio 2600. I bet they are providing good flow for now. Consider moving your acjr control module away from the tank. One splash could screw up your electronics Curtis.

thanks a bunch. i never really thought about it, ya know i never splash. ya right...i will move it asap. thanks, sometimes you dont think things through all the way.

as far as powerheads, i will probably get a vortech eventually. will have to save up. just bought a ton of new frags, set me back a few hundred bucks, so now i have to save even more. DOH!