Downhill's 200g Starfire Marineland Deep Dimension

downhill_biker

I went ahead and made the big move today. I hooked up my 72g to my 200g and it is now running as one system.

Water parameters before combining:

72g

pH: 8.1

temp: 81

salinity: 1.025

dKH: 10

calcium: 440

200g

pH: 8.2

temp: 79

salinity: 1.026

dKH: 15 (high but not dangerous)

calcium: 460

everything has been running together for about 8 hours now and there was no reaction to the change. feeding tentacles are out on acans, zoas are wide open, sps are showing full polyp extension. looks like it was a success.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I would update on the skimmer too. I have a new spray injector coming from AquaC that should get here any day. The DIY spray injector has been doing pretty well though. I have had the skimmer hooked up for 48 hours now, but only have been skimming for 24 hours. I plugged the overflow hole because I didn't want it spilling everywhere, and it shut down the skimmer because that was it's only vent. Well live and learn. So here's a pic with about 24 hours of skimmate, and since I just hooked up the second tank (which actually has fish in it) I should see this thing really working.

ev1000002.jpg

I went and did some shopping today. I am mostly done with stocking, but will probably add a mandarin dragonette and a 6 line wrasse, but that's it. I realize a few of these are borderline reef safe, but I am going to give them a shot, and if they dont work out I will take them out.

Sargassum Triggerfish

newfish001.jpg

Swallowtail Angelfish

newfish008.jpg

Copperbanded Butterfly

newfish009.jpg

Blonde Naso Tang

newfish007.jpg

Got these two last week

Purple Tang

newfish011.jpg

Scribbled Rabbitfish

newfish012.jpg

What do you guys think? Did I go overboard?

thanks brokenzoa, i fell in love with the trigger as soon as i saw it. haven't ever seen a sargassum trigger before. i have always loved angelfish, so decided to get one, but it had to be the swallowtail since they are the only truly reef safe angel, besides i like the way they look. the blonde naso has always been a dream, and when i saw it in the LFS, i had to get it. the purple tang was a no-brainer, someone local sold it to me for $20, had to buy it, i think they are really pretty, but they are kindof mean.

Naso tang is one of my favs, had one a long time and was a great character, trigger is a bit risky, you won't get crabs or snails, copperband will probably be a clam nipper when it gets a little bigger, but nice fish regardless.

Thanks Miles and Nyles (for the longest time I couldn't get your names figured out)

I love the naso tang, but am afraid that he will grow too quickly. We will have to see. I know the trigger is risky, but he doesn't seem to touch the crabs, snails, or shrimp. It has only been 1 day, so things may change, but yesterday he was getting cleaned by the shrimp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YO3u1OOzi4

I hope the copperband is a good guy, but if not I will take him out. I am mostly worried about the zoas with that guy. Who knows. Right now the purple tang is being a jerk to him, chasing him every once in a while.

Curtis,

Very nice selection! I think you will be ok with all of the fish. The naso will grow quite large, but I think you have some time before you will have to find him a home. By then you probably will have a 500g tank anyhow. I have seen sarg triggers do really well in reef tanks and never touch anything but the food intented for them to eat. The copperbands are hit and miss but I had really good luck with one once. He ate all of my micro feathers but other than that nothing else was bothered. The angel will be a great addition! Nice finds! Your tank is going to be awesome with fish like these in them.

Garrett

Garrett, I am hoping for the best with my copperband. I know they are hit and miss, and that was a risk i decided to make since it is my girlfriend's favorite fish. Your comment about the 500g had me rolling, but I dont think I ever want to go bigger than what I have. I may eventually set up another tank, but I think it would be something like a shallow cube or something. I am glad you recommended the Marineland Deep Dimension, I love this tank, good advice.

Roy, thanks. And of course I will keep you informed on the fish and how they interact. The trigger is one of my favorite fish, and I am hoping it does well and continues to be a model citizen because I would hate to have to get rid of it. I dont think it would fit in your nano though...lol.

My copper did fine for about a year, then the clams where getting attacked, never had issues with naso, would eat out of my hand after being in the tank a very short time, also only grew from 5" to maybe 6" in a year so size wise you should be ok.

Hey Curtis - great selection of fish... I love all of those! I just got my first trigger a couple weeks ago (blue jaw) and am surprised by how great a reef citizen he is. Completely mellow and doesn't mess with anything in the tank. Hopefully yours all turn out to be equally reef friendly!

I forgot to include one of my fish. I have a tailspot blenny in the tank too. That is a pretty cool fish. He has this problem with climbing into the powerhead whenever I turn them off to feed. I always check, but being a seio 2600 it would not be pretty, I wish he would find a new place.

newfish012-1.jpg

The copperband had to go back to the LFS. It was being constantly chased by the purple tang. I just felt bad for her. I brought home a blue-eye kole tang though. Camera was dead, but will get a pic later. She is from the bristletooth family, so will be a great workhorse tang for me.

Nyles I am glad to hear that the naso was a fairly slow grower for you. That means that I can probably keep it until I move in about 3 years.

Roy, I knew you had more than one tank, I was just kidding with ya.

Shawn, glad to be joining you in the "trigger club". It was kindof scary, but now I am really glad I did it. I thought about getting the blue jaw, and they had one at the store, but once I saw this one I fell in love. So far so good, and I dont see any problems coming up in the future. This fish is mellow as can be.

Today I added all the fish to the display tank. I had to tear all the rock out of my frag tank to do it, but it wasn't too bad. I think it took me less than an hour total, maybe slightly more. I put rock in the sump, spread frags in the sandbed, and started netting fish, there's no way around it you have to net fish when they are in a big tank. I also added some baffles and new lights to the sump/fuge.

Here is the FTS pics Front and Sides

200gMarinelandJuly122009018.jpg

200gMarinelandJuly122009022.jpg

200gMarinelandJuly122009008.jpg

200gMarinelandJuly122009010.jpg

Here is a pic of the sump. I added 2 baffles made of 1/2" acrylic. The one closest to the skimmer is for macro algae, and the one on the right is for xenia. I picked up 2x clip on reflectors, and 100w-26w compact flourescent bulbs, K value is 5500k. They should do pretty well over the sump.

200gMarinelandJuly122009002.jpg

And finally just wanted to show how everyone is getting along. I am amazed, the trigger, the angel, the tangs, the rabbitfish, and the blennies are all best of buds.

"Blenny Buddies"

200gMarinelandJuly122009015.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: My blond naso tang hadn't eaten much since I got it. Maybe a couple mysis or a couple flecks of nori each day. Eventually it starved itself and died. I had been noticing a couple specks of ich on the fish. Had been feeding them garlic and entice, along with a good variety of foods, but it kept getting a little worse each day. I bought and installed an "Aqua" brand 40w UV sterilizer w/wiper. It will help, but is not a solution.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ ps_View...ild~AV2233.html

I went ahead and tore apart the tank and caught all of the fish and they are now in a 40 breeder copper treatment. Unfortunately the swallowtail angel died in the bucket. I dont know if it was stung by the rabbitfish or just stressed, but it was belly up after about 15 minutes in the bucket. I will run the tank fallow (without fish) for 6 weeks, and then put the fish back in. They are ich free after 1 day of treatment, but if put back in the tank the ich would come back in full force.

Sorry to hear man, its probably the most fustraiting bpart of adding fish, creating a balance and getting all the fish to acclimate and get along. Good luck and really like the fish selection, maybe take a look at a male naso with streamers, less money and a very beautiful fish

Sorry to hear about the fish you lost. I know you are limited on space in the 40 but you might want to get another tang or any other fish that you would like and put it in quarantine/treatment so it's ready to go into the display with all the others. When I added the majority of the fish i have the three tangs, two anthias, potters angel, and two clowns went in the tank at the same time. I've only added two wrasses, two blennies, flame angel and a sunburst anthias since then. I don't believe those last fish i added are as susceptible to ich as tangs are.