Downhill's 200g Starfire Marineland Deep Dimension

downhill_biker

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Today was the WMAS sponsored Mountain West Reef Fest, and it was a blast. I didn't initially intend to go, couldn't really afford it and I knew what kind of stuff was going to be there. I knew there was going to be some sweet stuff and it was going to be too tempting.

Well I got tempted, big time! But before I get to that I would like to say that the event was amazing! There were great booths representing many of the great big name products that we all use on a daily basis. I enjoyed talking with them, listening to the presentations and looking at all the coral. This event was a hit!

Now, what I got tempted with, Dave from Reef Kingdom had some amazing stuff and once I saw it I couldn't let it pass. Now I have to sell a bunch of coral to pay my rent...lol. Bought 2 amazing trachy's, honestly these are so insane. For those that saw them at the actual show, you can vouch, they are probably brighter in person than they are in the pictures. I am completely blown away by these corals.

trachy005.jpg

trachy009.jpg

trachy006.jpg

trachy019.jpg

trachy025.jpg

trachy028.jpg

Alright I got some new full tank shots last night and thought I would share. I really like taking pics at night because you get a whole lot less glare. Frags are still small but they are growing steadily. It will be a while before they actually look like corals instead of my tank looking like a frag tank.

fts001.jpg

fts002.jpg

fts003.jpg

And I got another pic of the new Trachyphillia. Come on all you lurkers let me know what you think.

fts010.jpg

Looking good Curtis! I love the new Trachy. The rockwork looks nice and will allow for alot of nice swim room even when your corals grow out quite a bit. I think you should get a couple of nice colonies to start to get rid of that frag tank look. Of course it is always cool to say that you grew everything in your tank from small fragments!

Thanks guys. Miles I think you need to build a deep tank, its the new trend...

Matt, glad you came out of the woodworks. I love the depth of this tank and will never own a tank that is less deep. I am really thinking that I would like something even deeper, maybe something similar to garrett's 5x5 eventually. Maybe I will do a 72 x 72 x 36...who knows.

Garrett, thanks. The rockwork does give the fish lots of room to swim, and also allows for the flow to move through the tank without much restriction. I actually like having all frags, and will just let them grow. I want them to choose their own path of growth based on the conditions, so that they look natural. I have seen many tanks where you have coral changing directions of growth based on the tank, and to me it looks weird. I like watching it grow from frags, but also want it to look mature, right now...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry everyone for being gone so long and not updating. I took a trip to Egypt and am just getting back into the swing of things and decided to do an update on my tanks. Thankfully everything survived during my trip and I was very happy to see all of the growth after being gone. (You really notice it when you aren't looking at them every day) I am getting more and more frags and some things are growing in nicely. Some corals might have been placed too close together and are starting to kill each other off. Here are some FTS pics. I still cant get the color right, the blue seems to wash out all of the corals' color and I cant seem to fix it with my white balance.

Egypt3151.jpg

Egypt3152.jpg

Egypt3153.jpg

Egypt3154.jpg

new school: thanks.

epicenter: thanks. i get lots of comments on the rock work. it took some time to get exactly how i wanted it, but now that its done, i think it adds to the "art" and really is the building blocks for something great.

Jay: I moved to Utah so that my fiance, Cora, can go to grad school. She is at the University of Utah for physical therapy. We probably wont stay here, but probably wont be back to Oregon either. The next step will most likely be Sandpoint, Idaho; which is where we are from originally.

MarkBirkett: Thanks. I actually got the tank from Jason before I moved and I brought it with me in the U-Haul.