Downhill's 200g Starfire Marineland Deep Dimension

downhill_biker

Thanks guys. I have ordered another blonde naso tang, and asked for a male. They said they would see what they could do, but couldn't promise it. When it does get here I will have the LFS make sure it is eating for a week before I bring it home. Then it will go in QT with the other fish. I will probably add a swallowtail again, and put it in copper as well. The only other fish I plan to add is a mandarin dragonett, and they dont really get ich, so I will put it strait into the display, after my fallow period.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats the deal with the 5 gallon buckets in the sump. Looks like you cut the sump and glued them in there some how? Why did you do this? Looks intresting but whats the purpose?

Excelent build. I did not see the entire thread yet but the rock collecting trip looked fun.

Jay

Whats the deal with the 5 gallon buckets in the sump. Looks like you cut the sump and glued them in there some how? Why did you do this? Looks intresting but whats the purpose?

Excelent build. I did not see the entire thread yet but the rock collecting trip looked fun.

Jay

The 5 gallon buckets are my baffles. The taller on closest to the camera is where the water drains from the tank, and the shorter one is what determines the water height in the sump and then has the return pump in it. I didn't cut the sump, I cut the buckets to match the contour of the sump and siliconed them in. I just figured it would be easier and cheaper than a bunch of acrylic. I can tell you now that I wouldn't change a thing. They work perfectly and my sump area is much larger because of no wasted space.

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE: So as most of you know, I lost the blond naso due to not eating. Lost the swallowtail angel from rabbitfish sting, and lost the sargassum trigger from jumping out of the tank.

I was pretty sad, but now things are shaping up. The fish were in QT for 6 weeks and the tank has run fallow. I should be ich free and I started putting fish back in the Display. I put in my 2 newest/timid fish first. The Regal Tang, and the Chevron Tang.

I got a new blonde naso, and also a yellow tang, and they will go in the tank in a few days after the other two get established and comfortable in the aquarium.

aquariscope020.jpg

aquariscope021.jpg

Thanks Garrett. I love the Chevron Tang, but as you said could never find one at a decent price. I ended up getting this one from someone tearing down their tank, and they gave me the fish and some coral for helping him tear down the tank and move it.

Rick, you are not alone in liking that fish, they are one of mine, and Garrett's, favorites, along with many others. I think that it is their color and personality that gets people...

It looks like you have a lot of Iron in your water by the looks of that skimmer' date=' do you run on a well?[/quote']

No, I use city water here in Salt Lake City. There are probably lots of impurities, but I use an RODI filter for all of my water and it is reading 0 TDS. I have always had the skimmate look the same...dark brown/green...sometimes almost black. What are you used to?

I have to agree with Eric. That Chevron is pretty ugly. Better send it to me so you don't have an ugly fish in your tank.;)

I reviewed description for the Chevron Tang and I'm surprised they are not more common. They seem to be an excellent addition to the tank since they take care of cleanup that normally would be handled by inverts and they are one of the less agressive tangs. I'll definately have my eye out for one.

I have to agree with Eric. That Chevron is pretty ugly. Better send it to me so you don't have an ugly fish in your tank.;)

I reviewed description for the Chevron Tang and I'm surprised they are not more common. They seem to be an excellent addition to the tank since they take care of cleanup that normally would be handled by inverts and they are one of the less agressive tangs. I'll definately have my eye out for one.

I think the reasons they are not common is that they are hard to find, and that when you do find one they usually range between $150-$200. They can be found but they aren't easy to get.

Another underestimated tang is the Orange Fin Tomini Tang. Check those out too, they are also a bristletooth tang, so workhorses, and have great temperment.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, no more waiting. Here are the updates and pics:

Got a few more new fish, mandarin dragonet, 6 line wrasse, and lawnmower blenny.

backpacking140.jpg

Got the new 400w Radium 20k bulbs today. They look very nice compared to the 10k I had in there before. All coral frags are glued in and ready to grow out, and all fish are in tank.

backpacking149.jpg

backpacking150.jpg

backpacking153.jpg

backpacking151.jpg

backpacking173.jpg

Thanks snowpunk. It took a long time on the aquascaping, but I finally decided I like it.

Return is Reeflo Barracuda (4500GPH), it is feeding this tank, the frag tank, and the skimmer, I would say it is doing 1500GPH and flowing through my seaswirls on the return. Then I have one Koralia Magnum 8 that is behind the rock on the left side it works great, almost too much flow, but overall I like the flow, it doesn't blow around the sand, but the coral seems to have enough flow. You can see the flow if you watch my video, especially after I feed.

Here is the video everyone. Enjoy the music!

Mike: I actually only have one purple tang, he just moves a lot and gets in all the pics. The tangs I have are:

Purple Tang

Blue Eye Kole Tang

Chevron Tang

Blond Naso Tang

Red Sea Sailfin Tang

Regal Tang

Yellow Tang (in QT)

Miles: I love the radiums a lot. I still have to burn in the bulbs and see what color they are really going to be, and the corals still have to adjust, so their colors still aren't the greatest yet...yet. Glad you have them too, they are sick bulbs.

I love it. The video has some nice toons with it too! I can't wait to see all of the colored sticks growing in that beast.

Garrett

They will grow. Thanks for all you help Garrett, I am glad I listened to you and went with the 400w instead of 250w. I have a feeling it will make a big difference in coral growth, especially at the bottom of the tank.