Trident !!!

Well Bulk reef supply screwed me. I order when there was still 40 in stock before midnight. 
They just emailed me this:
“Although we try our best to maintain 100% accuracy with inventory, we made a mistake and the Trident - Marine Aquarium Water Analyzer - Neptune Systems that you just ordered is not currently available.   I’m sorry -  I know this is an exciting new product and having to wait a bit longer is disappointing.  I want you to know that we already have another shipment in the works to fulfill your order as soon as possible.  We will ship the Trident to you as soon as it arrives or we can cancel and refund the full cost to you at any time.  Also,  because we weren’t able to ship this out to you right away, we will be giving you $20 in BRS points to use on a future order with us.  Thank you for your patience and please don’t hesitate to reach out to us with any questions or concerns. “

I was way bedore most, pretty shady 

Of course, it was shady... I bet there were some prominent people that were not able to order in time, so they bumped ya...idk

Sent from Atlantis 🤙

21 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Cough...nitrates..cough.. phos...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yeah - I admit to being a bit fascinated by the fascination here 🙂  Sure it will automate and integrate (at some level) testing of a couple of parameters but, honestly, they aren't even ones that should fluctuate that much on an established system.  I can see the value while you are dialing in a new system or you plan to be drastically altering demands in temporary housing situation but I wonder how many unintended consequences we will see as people (over) react to all the additional data.  I could easily see people trying to get super granular with dosing etc. to try and eliminate small daily fluctuations and end up causing more problems then they are "solving".  Chasing parameters of any sort tends to be counterproductive most of the time (with a few exceptions).  I see the primary value in being an extra level of protection against "fault" caused swings such as miss-behaving dosers, malfunctioning reactors etc. - which is certainly worthwhile - but I worry that it will potentially facilitate some unproductive numbers chasing in many cases... probably just the cynic in me coming through though. 😀

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Yeah - I admit to being a bit fascinated by the fascination here 🙂  Sure it will automate and integrate (at some level) testing of a couple of parameters but, honestly, they aren't even ones that should fluctuate that much on an established system.  I can see the value while you are dialing in a new system or you plan to be drastically altering demands in temporary housing situation but I wonder how many unintended consequences we will see as people (over) react to all the additional data.  I could easily see people trying to get super granular with dosing etc. to try and eliminate small daily fluctuations and end up causing more problems then they are "solving".  Chasing parameters of any sort tends to be counterproductive most of the time (with a few exceptions).  I see the primary value in being an extra level of protection against "fault" caused swings such as miss-behaving dosers, malfunctioning reactors etc. - which is certainly worthwhile - but I worry that it will potentially facilitate some unproductive numbers chasing in many cases... probably just the cynic in me coming through though. 😀

My primary goal with Trident is to dial in my alkalinity.  I've been testing alk every day and doing small adjustments on my 2-part dosing to try to keep it consistent, but I'm still seeing more fluctuation than I would like.  I intend to start out with the standard 4 tests per day, and possibly up that to 6 or 8 tests, and to have the Trident adjust my DOS accordingly.  

Here's how my alkalinity has looked over the past 9 months:

Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 10.07.51 AM.png  

Once I have enough data from Trident to show a trend, I'll post an updated graph.  

3 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

My primary goal with Trident is to dial in my alkalinity.  I've been testing alk every day and doing small adjustments on my 2-part dosing to try to keep it consistent, but I'm still seeing more fluctuation than I would like.  I intend to start out with the standard 4 tests per day, and possibly up that to 6 or 8 tests, and to have the Trident adjust my DOS accordingly.  

Here's how my alkalinity has looked over the past 9 months:

Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 10.07.51 AM.png  

Once I have enough data from Trident to show a trend, I'll post an updated graph.  

Interesting data.  Were these all taken at the same time of day?  Any changes in husbandry or stocking coincide with any of the more significant swings (e.g. this March).  Anyway, clearly you have a good reason to look into this option and I didn't mean to be overly critical... I do worry, however, that it could cause a bit of a rebound effect if one tries to "over manage" these parameters.  Of course, I would love to know what caused the spike in my tank a while back!

3 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

what happened in march?  spike of bacteria?  

3 hours ago, albertareef said:

Interesting data.  Were these all taken at the same time of day?  Any changes in husbandry or stocking coincide with any of the more significant swings (e.g. this March).  Anyway, clearly you have a good reason to look into this option and I didn't mean to be overly critical... I do worry, however, that it could cause a bit of a rebound effect if one tries to "over manage" these parameters.  Of course, I would love to know what caused the spike in my tank a while back!

After my mini-crash in December from brown jelly, I waited until things stabilized before adding any new corals.  But once I started seeing signs of recovery, I added a bunch of new frags.  Between mid-February and early March, I added at least 20 new frags and some of them were larger colonies.  That sucked up a lot of alkalinity and it took me a while to get things adjusted to compensate, as seen in the graph.

Just now, SuncrestReef said:

After my mini-crash in December from brown jelly, I waited until things stabilized before adding any new corals.  But once I started seeing signs of recovery, I added a bunch of new frags.  Between mid-February and early March, I added at least 20 new frags and some of them were larger colonies.  That sucked up a lot of alkalinity and it took me a while to get things adjusted to compensate, as seen in the graph.

Makes sense.  At least that was predictable and you could proactively test/adjust your dosing (even without the automation 🤗).  I will be curious how well you think the dosing control ends up integrating... you would hope well given it's all theirs and they have definitely spent some time on testing!

• Like 1

Not sure if others have learned this, but just finished watching a Neptune video on Trident.  The machine runs a minimum of 8 tests a day total (4 Alk, 2 CA, 2 Mg).  At $.08 each, that's going to get expensive. 

Edited by shaywood

19 minutes ago, shaywood said:

Not sure if others have learned this, but just finished watching a Neptune video on Trident.  The machine runs a minimum of 8 tests a day total (4 Alk, 2 CA, 2 Mg).  At $.08 each, that's going to get expensive. 

Yes, people all over Facebook and R2R are going crazy complaining about the reagent costs and the maintenance cost every 18-24 months.

Personally I think it's worth it, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

22 minutes ago, shaywood said:

Seems like users should be able to choose the number of tests completed daily. I don't know of anyone testing calcium or magnesium twice a day. 

They say it's a technical hurdle in the design.  It needs to run frequent tests to keep the reagents fresh in the tubes and to maintain calibration.

• Like 3

Do any of you reefers test for magnesium? I’ve tested my tank for calcium twice in a year and thought I was wasting my time. The alk testing is great but my Hanna does it for 50$. I don’t get a cool graph tho

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Deuce00 said:

Do any of you reefers test for magnesium? I’ve tested my tank for calcium twice in a year and thought I was wasting my time. The alk testing is great but my Hanna does it for 50$. I don’t get a cool graph tho

If you’re growing out sps you need to check calcium often to make sure you’re upping the dosage amount as colonies/frags grow

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CrazyInside said:

If you’re growing out sps you need to check calcium often to make sure you’re upping the dosage amount as colonies/frags grow

If your checking your alk regularly and its where you want,calcium shouldn’t be to far off. Same theory as the alkatronic. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, shaywood said:

Would it be possible to set the Trident unit on a timer so it would only run one test per day?

Technically it might be possible, but you shouldn't for for several reasons:

1. When the Trident is first powered on it goes through a startup procedure that runs through the whole Alk/Calcium/Mag testing process, but it does not log the results of this run because it's an initialization process rather than a normal water testing cycle.  After this initialization, it will wait for the next scheduled test (at 12am, 6am, 12pm, and 6pm under the default 4 test per day schedule).  
  2. If it doesn't do at least 4 tests per day, the calibration will get out of whack.
  3. The normal way to connect it is with the included 1Link cable.  1Link ports don't have the ability to turn on/turn off like a regular EnergyBar outlet.  They are always on.  If you really wanted to use a timer to turn it off, you'd need to connect it with an AquaBus cable and the optional 24v power adapter.
  4. If you turn it off, the module will be disconnected, and the Trident tile will disappear from your dashboard.

If you really want a single test per day, you should look into one of the other automated testing products on the market rather than the Trident.

(As I'm typing this, my Trident is humming in the background diligently doing it's scheduled midnight test.  So convenient!!!)

Edited by SuncrestReef