Neptune Trident update

SuncrestReef

In case you missed it, Neptune just posted a video on their official Facebook group where they showed off a production version of the Trident and gave out the first two to a couple of their favorite reefers to begin testing.  They said NSI testers should get notified in a few weeks about receiving their test units.  Still no official launch date, but this seems like the most progress in over a year.

Here's a link to the video:
(you can skip to 20:00 to get to the Trident details)

• Like 1

Thanks for the link @SuncrestReef  I haven't been paying much attention to this product since I don't currently have an Apex but another brand of controller so it was interesting to get some additional details re design.

Things I like:

Titration vs. colorimetric assays (speaks to my lab bench days)

Simplification of reagents - 3 for 3 different assays is actually pretty impressive (would be interested in the chemistry of this)

Relatively small volume required (although 25 mls total per test cycle still feels high considering stand alone tests)

Potential for some fairly smart feedback integration for dosers (seems like they put some thought into the logic for this

Logic based warnings for reagent use and waste fill up

Don't like:

Tied to a 4:2:2 test ratio (for very vague reasons) - just don't see that such frequent testing of Ca/Mg is necessary unless you are actively dialing in some dosing.

Dependent on set length of tubing runs could limit placement (probably related to automation of line flushing etc.)

Overall definitely worth a look and something I would certainly consider if I was running a dosing based setup and would still potentially be interested in regardless depending on price point (assuming I had an Apex)

• Like 2

I remember the last update from them said release date should be around Q1-Q2 2018. So of course I bought the new Apex system, and here I sit a year later still without a trident 😑

How much will the Trident cost?
No firm pricing will be released at this time, but we are committed to bring this to market between $500 and $600.

When will it be available?
We hope to have units in the hands of our Neptune Systems Insiders by the end of Q1/2018 and have it available to the general public in Q2/2018.”

Edited by CrazyInside

here is the deal however, right now its a $600 automated test kit. getting it to actual control your alk will likely include buying a DOS. So now your at $850. reagents are bundled... so that mag reagent that is pretty much useless.. going to need to buy that to get the alk reagent.

I was SUPER excited about it but after botching the launch, I spent a lot of time researching the alkatronic and once i get some spare coin, that is the way i think i am going to go.

Im hoping the trident release to the public.. spring 2019? will precipitate a fall in alkatronic prices.

anyways, it is still exciting and i didnt mean to piss on the parade or anything.

hows your tank doing???

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I agree it's a spendy glorified test kit.  However, I already have a DOS for 2-part, so I won't incur that extra expense.  I currently test my ak and calcium daily, and magnesium every few weeks.      I'll be glad to have these tests completely automated and running a few times per day (I'm thinking every 6 hours) to see what's really going on in my tank.  Since corals really need stability, it might be nice to see what the alk swing is over a 24 hour period and adjust the dosing to try to keep it more stable.

As for my current tank status, things have stabilized a bit, but I'm still seeing a few more corals with browning at the tips (including my CNC growout frag) so I'm not out of the woods yet.  On a positive note, my LPS and softies are thriving.  I also zapped 3 more aiptasia today with the laser.  I seem to find 2 or 3 new ones per week, but I'm able to keep them in check.