Urgent request for help with fish

It appears I may be a bit too late to properly diagnose and deal with this issue with my Naso tang.  I haven't noticed anything strange with this fish in the past few days, but to be completely honest, I haven't paid extreme attention to it.  Since I got it about a month ago, it has eaten amazingly well. My tank was overgrowing with dictyota macro algae and this fish wiped it out.  I am not certain, but I'm wondering if it became malnourished after it finished off the macro algae. 

I keep a large blue tang and sail fin in the tank (180 gal) as well and they get fed Nori about every other day.  I haven't noticed the Naso eat too much Nori.  I have some of the dictyota growing in the overflow and I would periodically scrap it off and dump it in the DT and the Naso would eat it immediately. 

Fast forward to today and I noticed it was super lethargic and not eating.  Within a hour, it was on the sand bed which is the ultimate sign of imminent demise.  Then I started noticing these weird spots on its body. Anyway, I'm wondering if there is any last minute advice. I feel like I know the answer to my own question, but I'm humble enough to throw out an 11th hour plea for insight. Thanks all!!

20160706_215918_zpskvnsxy6c.jpg

20160706_215735_zpsr6pfjiod.jpg

Edited by Higher Thinking

So there is absolutely no science behind this that I'm familiar with but Travis and I were just recently talking about this. He's always had some dictyota in his display at the shop and used a few Naso's to clean it out... Strangely all of these fish have died, one working theory is that there's something in the dictyota that's actually killing these fish or making them sick... It just seems to be an odd coincidence.

Wish I had more to offer... Sounds like things are already at a point of no return.

Sadly I dot have any advice on how to help with your friend but to answer your question about the spots I believe they are stress spots. At least that's what I was told when we got our Naso a long time ago. For us the spots went away after he had time to acclimate. Sick fish being stressed would make sense. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Best of luck!

• Like 1

Sadly I dot have any advice on how to help with your friend but to answer your question about the spots I believe they are stress spots. At least that's what I was told when we got our Naso a long time ago. For us the spots went away after he had time to acclimate. Sick fish being stressed would make sense. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Best of luck!

Thanks for that insight. I was also under the same impression, but wasn't completely positive. Others online had said the same thing.

So there is absolutely no science behind this that I'm familiar with but Travis and I were just recently talking about this. He's always had some dictyota in his display at the shop and used a few Naso's to clean it out... Strangely all of these fish have died, one working theory is that there's something in the dictyota that's actually killing these fish or making them sick... It just seems to be an odd coincidence.

Wish I had more to offer... Sounds like things are already at a point of no return.

This is interesting because my understanding was that this plant has high levels of iodine. I even tried to google iodine overdosing earlier tonight, but didn't really come up with anything.  The only thing that popped up was about overdosing on dosing. There doesn't seem to be any info about eating too high of levels of iodine. That is just so odd since these fish eat that stuff in the wild.....

Definitely stress spots, sorry.  It does not look good.

One thing I found with my Naso was that he could pick up flukes.  Heavy breathing is the sign of it.  Prazi in tank worked well to treat him twice.

Sadly I lost mine a few weeks ago after years of being the favorite fish for me, and years for the previous owner.  No idea what the cause was.

Definitely stress spots, sorry. It does not look good.

One thing I found with my Naso was that he could pick up flukes. Heavy breathing is the sign of it. Prazi in tank worked well to treat him twice.

Sadly I lost mine a few weeks ago after years of being the favorite fish for me, and years for the previous owner. No idea what the cause was.

Dang! Sorry to hear about the fish loss. Thanks for the insight. I'm headed home from work and expect to do some fish removal once I get home. We'll see. It wasn't any better this morning.

Any updates?

It is surprisingly still alive. Although it is simply laying on the sand bed. I almost feel like just ending it real quick rather than let it struggle to die for who knows how long. But there is that little 1 in a million chance that the unimaginable happens which is preventing me. Edited by Higher Thinking

Sorry to hear about the loss. That sucks.????

Jeremy also sorry to hear about your naso tang. I know that was one of your favorites and a potm winner too. ☹️

Darn it...I was hoping for a happy ending. Real sorry.

Thanks you two. It sucks, but what can ya do? Maybe I'll try a fox face. Upon close inspection, the macro is still in the tank unfortunately.

I love convict tangs and foxfaces but once in a while you can get a foxface that nibbles on things like my odd ball yellow tang. Just a heads up not a deterrent , sometimes thats how it is in the salt water world, but both are amazing animals that destroy algae.

• Like 1

Thanks you two. It sucks, but what can ya do? Maybe I'll try a fox face. Upon close inspection, the macro is still in the tank unfortunately.

My One Spot Foxface is great at keeping all algae at bay, and it has never nipped at any of my softies. I keep him really well fed with Nori to make sure it doesn't start tasting my zooanthids. My Tomini (Bristletooth) tang is also a very effective algae eater.

Sorry to hear about your tang.