Controllers

Bicyclebill

Well, I've officially pulled the plug on controllers and am going old school on my tank. My Reefkeeper Elite bit the dust at only 16 months old. It was doing some wanky things, so I couldn't tell whether it was the head unit, PC4 strip, or a combination of several things. This is after a couple of my PC4s started acting up a couple months ago. Anyhoo, I'm literally using digital timers for my lights and my ATO system, and a good old fashioned Milwaukie PH controller "just in case" on my calcium reactor. I'm back to following my own normal work ethic of KISS (keep it simple stupid). I can't justify the cost of a new controller based on what I've learned through the years using them. 

To be honest I have seen on other forums several people ditching their ReefKeepers over the last year, I thought it had to be comparable to apex (I've never used one) but I would never go without my Apex. Though I would never rely on my Apex to act as an ATO either after reading all the bad reviews of people flooding their floors, I just find that to be way to risky. I have found controlling my lights, reactor, power to my ATO, and powerheads has become soooo much easier that I would never consider getting rid of it. I'm sure you will be fine without a controller though, we certainly didn't have them 20 years ago and were doing ok.

Just out of curiosity, did you talk to Eric at DA yet? He is really good about helping out with tech support and could help you narrow things down and get things fixed again. I ran my RKL head unit for 3 years before buying archon upgrade with no issues. Only problem I've had with any of my DA equipment is one plug on one PC4 sticks on occasionally. I use my Swabbie on this channel so it's not an issue.

If your done with your DA stuff....first bid $10 :D

I am with ya Bill! I am keeping my setup as simple as possible. I have ran controllers in the past, but am pretty archaic and old school these days. Digital timers for lights, pressure fed ATO on a float valve, and a milwaukee PH controller on the calcium reactor. After a kinda rough year equipment wise, I am very much in 'control your disasters' mode. With the travel I have been having to do for work, I have to keep things as simple as possible for the wife. I did pick up one of these a while back and HIGHLY recommend it. Controlling heater temp is a battle I have fought too many times, this thing was a great $35 spent, kicks on a fan (or other cooling device) if the temp goes higher, kicks on the heater if it goes lower than desired. Simple, kinda fool proof, but pretty necessary as I dont trust the heater knob on most heaters these days. 

http://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Itc-308-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat/dp/B011296704/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443208937&sr=8-1&keywords=inkbird+digital+temperature

• Like 2

I am with ya Bill! I am keeping my setup as simple as possible. I have ran controllers in the past, but am pretty archaic and old school these days. Digital timers for lights, pressure fed ATO on a float valve, and a milwaukee PH controller on the calcium reactor. After a kinda rough year equipment wise, I am very much in 'control your disasters' mode. With the travel I have been having to do for work, I have to keep things as simple as possible for the wife. I did pick up one of these a while back and HIGHLY recommend it. Controlling heater temp is a battle I have fought too many times, this thing was a great $35 spent, kicks on a fan (or other cooling device) if the temp goes higher, kicks on the heater if it goes lower than desired. Simple, kinda fool proof, but pretty necessary as I dont trust the heater knob on most heaters these days. 

http://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Itc-308-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat/dp/B011296704/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443208937&sr=8-1&keywords=inkbird+digital+temperature

So, the probe does ok in salt water, then?

Yep, so far so good. Its only been a couple months, but it seems to be holding up well so far.

I'm literally looking at these online right now! I might even do one of the din mount digital temp controllers and get a project box and make a weekend diy project out of it. I agree on the heater concern.

It appears these temperature controllers are big for beer makers and some sort of chef cooking stuff. At least that's what I'm gathering reading up on them.

Edited by Bicyclebill
  • Like 1

I'm literally looking at these online right now! I might even do one of the din mount digital temp controllers and get a project box and make a weekend diy project out of it. I agree on the heater concern.

It appears these temperature controllers are big for beer makers and some sort of chef cooking stuff. At least that's what I'm gathering reading up on them.

There ya go! Sounds like a fun project. Yea they appear to be pretty versatile. Someone on here posted it up a few months back, I just don't recall who it was. If they read this...thank you, it's been a tank saver when I had a heater go rogue on me.