Acrylic scratch removal

Bill V.

Here we go. I got all of my stuff today to start taking the scratches out of my aquarium. (scary) Total cost was $37.00 (not including the automotive buffer, borrowed that) for the materials. I wll keep ya posted over the next couple of days on how it goes. Most of the scratches are light but there is at least 1 that is pretty good sized.

IMG_4421.jpg

Materials - Buffer, sandpaper (1000,1500,2000,2500 grit), sanding block, Novus polish #3, #2 and final clean and polish #1

IMG_4414.jpg

Biggest scratch (bottom left corner)

IMG_4412.jpg

IMG_4413.jpg

IMG_4415.jpg

The worst section, right in the middle of the tank.

I figure i got the tank (150 gal. tenecor), stand, pumps, and filter for $40 i might as well try to fix it. (fingers)

GOT IT DONE!!!!

(clap) I finished polishing and buffing my aquarium today. I have to say the results are quite spectacular. It took about 8 hours over 2 days to get it done but it came out great. The pics i took are not great but in person the change is quite recognizable. The big scratch on the upper left side is gone and so is the huge hazy spot that was right in the middle. Now i can't wait to get it back up and get it full of stuff but that is still a while off(sad).

I would say if you have a nice Acrylic tank of find a really good deal on one that is all banged up taking the time to polish the scratches is worth it. Way cheaper then buying a new aquarium.

IMG_4424.jpg

sanded with 1000, 1500, 200, 2500 grit

IMG_4425.jpg

IMG_4426.jpg

The inside was not done at this point but you can see how the novus polish got rid of the sanding marks.

IMG_4429.jpg

IMG_4430.jpg

IMG_4431.jpg

Novus does work great. I used it for an acrylic some time ago but them ended up fixxing everything around my house. I even did a cd or two.

Great idea! I have a few old CDs for the computer that have been all scratched to oblivion. I should try this

dsoz

Great idea! I have a few old CDs for the computer that have been all scratched to oblivion. I should try this

dsoz

I have had good success with Novus polish for CDs/DVDs as well. Also glasses (if you aren't worried about loosing the anti glare coating that is).

the novus polish worked great. You can get it a TAP plastics in tigard(by the home depot on I-5). For fine scratches just get the NO.2 polish. they also sell some non-scratching cloths for $1.75. good investment so ya don't scratch your aquariums.