Stupid file fish

Manny Tavan

I added a filefish two weeks ago. So far I know it likes frozen mysis and nori from the clip. He may be responsible for four dead heads of gold torch too. But he hasn’t touched a single aiptasia…is that normal? Had so much hope for him cause nothing else has worked (peppermint, nudibranch, F aiptasia, copperband) 

I had the same problem the end of last year/beginning of this year.   Berghia failed me, despite using them multiple times in previous outbreaks.   I attribute that to my heavy addition of Amphipods, which turns out eats their eggs/offspring.   I ended up with Three filefish and a CopperBanded butterfly, that wouldn't touch them either.   Punch line, they were going for the easier food I was providing every night for the rest of the fish.   

I suspect my technique would work with any aptasia predator.   No feeding, until the aptasia are gone.   My thread is below.

On a side note, Its really cool to still have three filefish.  Fun to find and see them blending into what ever is around them.   An under appreciated fish.  

They're usually hit or miss, i started mine in basically a qt with rocks that had live rock and aptasia on it lol I barely fed it also until it started eating the aptasia. I think once it developed a taste for it,it didn't stop eating it. I also have a long nose butterfly that eats them. 

37 minutes ago, Manny Tavan said:

i guess I'll have to starve the entire tank lol

If you have a sump toss it in there for a while until its gets hungry....... I would toss my kliens in the sump for a few weeks then bring it back to the display........

Had a light and rocks in my sump so it was sort of like the display...... 

2 hours ago, spectra said:

If you have a sump toss it in there for a while until its gets hungry....... I would toss my kliens in the sump for a few weeks then bring it back to the display........

Had a light and rocks in my sump so it was sort of like the display...... 

I’d have to catch him to do that lol. I do have a refugium in the sump and there is aiptasia there too 

16 hours ago, Manny Tavan said:

Caught it while it was sleeping lol

its in the sump. It better learn to eat aiptasia now or it’s gonna starve lol

16 hours ago, Manny Tavan said:

There’s aiptasia growing right on the glass of the sump 

Thats how I would catch my butterfly.......... flashlight at 4 am before I went to work...... it worked every time. 

And I had aptasia in my sump also and it would clean them up for me. 

When I had a filefish, it would eat acans, favia but leaves hammer and torches alone.  It also loves aiptasia, flakes and pallets.  It would come up and eat off my hand.  When I want to move it to another tank I just pretend I'm about to feed it and just cup it out.

• Haha 1