New to algae scrubber

islandVib3s

So I'm making a couple algae scrubbers because they look simple to build. I've read a bit about how it pretty much the cure for everything being waterchanges and nutrients uptake.is it true? I'm currently in the process of making 2,1 for my new 75 build and the other for my frag tank setup. I need to make another HD stop for some parts.received_614810582943590.jpeg

• Like 1

I installed a clearwater scrubber two weeks ago - hoping to battle a dino outbreak by encouraging more algae growth in the scrubber. So far the screen is covered in brown (so either dinos growing there or maybe it's diatoms), and my sand bed in back to being pretty clear.

But - I did a few other things at the same time so it's hard to pinpoint cause/effect. I turned off the UV and started adding bacteria, as well as correcting an iron deficiency that came up in a test. 

Regardless - the theory seems pretty sound, and it's been a fun addition to the tank.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bevo5 said:

I installed a clearwater scrubber two weeks ago - hoping to battle a dino outbreak by encouraging more algae growth in the scrubber. So far the screen is covered in brown (so either dinos growing there or maybe it's diatoms), and my sand bed in back to being pretty clear.

I'm fighting Dinos now.  Mostly large cell amphidinium, aka brown/rusty gravel.    Am well down the "correct and stabilize everything" path, and am now into Dose Silicates to grow Diatoms to outcompete the Dinos.    Do you think your Scrubber-Algae is outcompeting Dinos?

1 minute ago, obrien.david.j said:

I'm fighting Dinos now.  Mostly large cell amphidinium, aka brown/rusty gravel.    Am well down the "correct and stabilize everything" path, and am now into Dose Silicates to grow Diatoms to outcompete the Dinos.    Do you think your Scrubber-Algae is outcompeting Dinos?

I honestly have no clue.

I did a microscope test and came to the conclusion I had amphidinium as well. I tried boosting silicates and nutrients but that didn't seem to work. I thought maybe I misidentified so I lowered nutrients and things got worse. I got my ICP test done and showed low iron, and silicates in my RO - so I was back to thinking maybe diatoms.

I have had success in the past with outbreaks going away after turning off the UV, so I did that at the same time I put the scrubber on. The scrubber is definitely filling up with brown and it's not on the sand anymore - so (knock on wood), it seems to be working for the moment.

If this goes well for the next couple weeks Im going to reduce nutrients and see what happens.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, obrien.david.j said:

Nice design.   I think I recognize that container too.  is it an OXO brand, POP container?

How do you clean this design?    I'm not a scrubber user, but my understanding is you need to be prepared for weekly/bi-weekly scraping of that white sheet algae grows on.

I think it was a cereal container i got from walmart,Walmart not sure,I had them sitting so I figured I could use them. I made so the sheet can unclip for scrapping 

41 minutes ago, Bevo5 said:

But - I did a few other things at the same time so it's hard to pinpoint cause/effect. I turned off the UV and started adding bacteria, as well as correcting an iron deficiency that came up in a test. 

Regardless - the theory seems pretty sound, and it's been a fun addition to the tank.

I know alot of algae loves Iron so that could be why you're getting growth also

Edited by islandVib3s
Edit

I have the icecap scrubber and it's kind of cheapo/crappy and leaks like crazy, but it does work.  Produces a thick, albeit not uniform, carpet of GHA.   I designed my own, but the 3d printed parts weren't exactly water tight.  I really liked my design too, thinking of having it cut out of acrylic or even 1/4" glass.   

If I had to suggest a design change for yours, i'd suggest making the output port bigger.  It WILL get clogged with algae at that size.   I recommend at least a 1" hole with a 3/4" backup above that.  Other than that, your DIY is legit.  I think it'll work just fine. 

• Sad 1

If you've got space, a refugium is SOOOOO much easier and lower maintenance. I've toyed with buying and/or building an algae scrubber for years now, but that weekly (or even more often) chore of scraping that sheet clear keeps me from doing it. I have a hard enough time changing my filter sock, and that is 10X quicker and easier. 

1 hour ago, Micah said:

I have the icecap scrubber and it's kind of cheapo/crappy and leaks like crazy, but it does work.  Produces a thick, albeit not uniform, carpet of GHA.   I designed my own, but the 3d printed parts weren't exactly water tight.  I really liked my design too, thinking of having it cut out of acrylic or even 1/4" glass.   

If I had to suggest a design change for yours, i'd suggest making the output port bigger.  It WILL get clogged with algae at that size.   I recommend at least a 1" hole with a 3/4" backup above that.  Other than that, your DIY is legit.  I think it'll work just fine. 

Yea I think I might keep the 1/2 feed with a 100-150gph pump and also a 3/4 main drain and 1/2 back up. I made it so you just take the cover off,turn retaining collars and pop out the sheet.also thinking about just weld on 4 for a acrylic hanger for the rim of the tank. I have had a refugium forever but it doesn't seems not to be doing enough so I plan to add these on above the refugium with its independent grow lights.its a cheap diy so well worth the try and with huge benipets in having it.i have 40breeders for sumps so space is not a problem at all.only down side ive read is it can strip the system completely of nutrients and trace elements but that makes it alot easier for dosing and keeping a stable system. I have a 4 channel doser but haven't needed it just yet.just been doing kalk in ato and its amazingly easy to do.i plan on dosing all for reef now that they have a 1 part powder with everything. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have a waterfall style one I've been using in the sump on my 50 gallon acrylic tank for about two and a half years, was getting hair algae in the display and after about two or three months of using it the hair algae completely disappeared in the display tank. Yes you do have to pull out the screen and scrape it every week or so, but I just look at it as part of my weekly maintenance. It only takes a couple minutes. Sometimes I take a piece of the algae and feed it to my tangs, they love it

Edited by TaylorW
  • Like 1