The constant battle between Electricity and Salt Water

obrien.david.j

I got a reminder this morning, that no matter how prepared I think I am... Salt Water wins, sometime where you least expect it.

This is my EB832, on a wall, about three feet above the sump.   I use the green xmas 3x1 angled outlet extension to plug two heaters into one outlet.  (My idea of redundancy, rather use two that add up to the wattage I want - in case one dies)   Heater cord goes straight down, no bents. 

You'd think nothing could get UP, into the outlet.   

Was straightening cords this morning, and got This Surprise.  Threw heater and green expander away.  Happy I had spares.

IMG_3330.jpg

IMG_3327.jpg

IMG_3329.jpg

2 minutes ago, nkaihani said:

Is that due to saltwater? From the pics it kinda looks like too many amps for the green plug to handle. 

My simple answer, I can't tell.  I don't think any saltwater got into the connection, but at the same time I don't think the heater is broken and drawing THAT many amps.   The EB832 shows the outlet peaking around 600W (~<6A @ 110v), and there's two heaters plugged in.  (via green plug)   So I don't THINK it was too much.   But I can't tell.

image.png

6 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

What are the specs on that 3-way adapter, and how many watts are your heaters?  I agree with the above comment that it's probably not due to salt, but just too much load for that adapter.

15A.  I think the two heaters are 200-250-300 watt range each.  (they're two different brands)   Eheim and Finnex

If you're ever unsure if water may get into a connection, you can use some debate inducing dielectric grease to join your cords. I've been using it for 30 years in extreme conditions on both ac and dc. It'll make sure any water is displaced and prevent this kind of thing from happening (if it was from water).   

I will agree that this doesn't look like water damage. It looks like either a loose connection or a cheap underrated splitter.  Those things are made for Christmas lights and probably are only rated for 4-7 amps max.  Don't skimp when it comes to your tank.  Get something rated for power tools or appliances.  I'd put money on the conductors inside that thing being oxidized and overheated to the point where resistance caused the metal to fully liquify.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Gil&amp;Fin said:

Here was my fun experience with electricity and salt water earlier this year.  "Bad things" is right.

So how bad was it?   Fire dept came.  I see the orange glow on the back side of the tank.  Did it progress further, into the structure?  

On my end, I found I have Ox-Guard. (while amazon delivers some super lube to compare with)

IMG_3374.jpg

9 minutes ago, obrien.david.j said:

So how bad was it?   Fire dept came.  I see the orange glow on the back side of the tank.  Did it progress further, into the structure?  

On my end, I found I have Ox-Guard. (while amazon delivers some super lube to compare with)

Luckily, there was no structural damage.  All the livestock survived, as well.  

• Like 1