Am I crazy to think I can get a bunch of free zoas?

pdxmonkeyboy

So I have been thinking about building a long zoa lagoon tank.  Like 6 x 2 x16".  I always wanted a tank that was covered head to toe with zoas.  Just zoas.. you have seen photos of how incredible this can look.  The thing is, I have not purchased zoas in a long time.  There are kind of weird.. one month they are $50 a head and a month later they are $10 a head.   I mean, the grow like crazy and are hard to kill.. so it seems like I might be able to get the hook up from a few members.  Maybe collect a bunch of zoas and then 6 months later, distribute zoas that the original givers don't have?  

This would be a great example of the "classic" reef keeper state of mind... just share.  Share what you have and sell things for a bargain because what comes around goes around.  This is the type of mindset that ruled before $150 1" frags and $600 torches were common.   

Or I could trade some SPS for a pack of zoas?   

Thoughts?  

zoa.jpg

• Like 2

I like your project.  I'll give you a whop of Zoa's for free, nothing needed back.

I'm not letting any into my display tank, but got 2-3 little abused nubs at the bottom of frag tanks I bought from Brian when his shop shut down.  I've been growing these out in my frag tank, just because someone may want them some day.

IMG_9861.jpg

• Like 3

This is what us old-schoolers in the "reefing" community used to do years ago. It was more based off that if anyone had a tank crash we had passed enough frags out so they could get one back to replenish it. Some people even did it to promote more "aquaculture" vs wild. I think its a great idea kinda like a co-op! 

Edited by R-3
  • Like 4

@pdxmonkeyboyA full lagoon of zoas that size would be rad. Some grow fast and some grow slow. IMO the real art of the zoa gardens comes to placing them at the right distances apart for growth rates and color contrast so that you’re not just loading up on one type that takes over the rock before the others get settled and start taking off.

Pricing is always a bit 🙄 when it comes to zoas and why some are expensive and others are dirt cheap. But I get it for the prone melters and why those usually get higher prices: lower supply & still high demand. 

I am far more into getting acros/milli’s these days and have a decent list of zoas already fragged and ready to move. Some shops looking for trade ins so before I do that if you’re open for loading up on zoas and down to trade for some acros frags, hit me up on DM or FB/text (as I’m not as active on the forum) and I can get you a list of what I have. Located in Vancouver WA.