Got your generator?

Webfoot

here's a question for y'all - I got a little tailgate generator that only pumps out about 800w. It's enough to run a heater and a return pump, but I'm thinking about upgrading to one of the larger units. Do those have to be grounded or can you just wheel 'em out and fire it up? I remember reading on one a while back that it needed to be grounded, and I have no clue how to do that.

I have a Westinghouse 9500 and that thing is a beast. Power did go out 2 weekends ago for 8 hours and was able to power most of the kitchen , bedroom and fish room. It was money well spent. I don’t know about grounding and didn’t ground mine. I had an interlock installed and it works great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cjmdh said:

If you plan to connect a generator via transfer a transfer or lockout switch to your house it has to have the correct plug on it.  4 prong plug: 2 AC, 1 neutral, and one ground.

image.png  

That’s the plug I have. I didn’t realize it had the ground with it as the electrician brought it with them. It makes sense now why they wanted to know what generator I was going to use.

17 minutes ago, Bevo5 said:

If you're just running normal plugs do you have to ground it? I just run an extension chord into the fish room and plug in a power strip.

Think it depends on the generator.  If the generator has a dedicated ground other than the frame then it would be required.  I have a Predator 3500 and Honda eu2200i and they are grounded through the frame.

4 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

I was coming home on sunday and my generator was in exercise mode.  It turns on and runs for 10 minutes every sunday. 

It is kind of cool. It's like "I got you bro".  

Yes, mine runs every other Wednesday at noon, then it sends me an email status report.  Pretty cool.