Heat wave

Tandor69

Does anyone turn their lights down or off during a heat wave? Would a couple of days at 50% power be bad for the corals? I know in the wild the weather can affect how much light they get. I'm not too worried about the heat, we have a/c, and I have a bunch of frozen water bottles if it goes out. Was thinking more about power usage and possible rolling black outs. Just thinking and was wondering what others do.

No A/C at my house so I have a chiller I picked up used that gets use maybe a few times a year.  Also a generator in case of power outage.

Outside of those options a few blocks of ice in a zip lock bag or bottle and a battery backup for a circulation pump and bubbler if loss of power.

Lights probably depends on what your running, I'm using LED so power use is low and heat output low and I personally wouldn't feel the need to turn them down. If your using halide that's a whole different story 🥵

Someone else might be able to chime in about how dropping to 50% might effect the coral but also probably depends on what you have.  

• Like 1

I'm keeping everything on, just have fans in sump area and blowing over the top.  Evaporation is a bit higher, but water temp is staying ok. No air conditioner here either.     

I've tried the ice in bag or, frozen water bottle. Melts too fast to keep up for me

• Like 1

I use to run a reverse light schedule in the summer when I had metal halides.  On about 6 or 7 pm, off at 2-3 am.  It reduced both house and tank heating during the day.  I don't need to do this anymore with hybrid t5/led.

And evaporative cooling with a fan on the water's surface is super effective.

• Like 2