🧪 Let’s Talk Testing 🧪 Salinity

Emerald525

So as I am getting back in the swing of things. I thought I would share my take on testing and what kits I like and which ones I don’t like. 

First let’s talk about accuracy and precision.

Accuracy is how closely the measurement is to the true value also known as the gold standard.  For example when you are calibrating a recfractometer they supply you with the known solution to calibrate it.

Precision is how closely repeated measurements are to each other. For example have you ever done a test and repeated the test and the numbers are way off? That is not a very precise test. For me a test is less precise when it is more subjective like subtle color changes or in the case of the refractometer just slight angles in how you look can make the number change. 

I will start with measuring salinity:

Salinity - Range 1.022 to 1.027

Read as either parts per thousand or specific gravity 

Seawater 1.025 or 35ppt

Many people do higher salinity when mixing salt because then you get higher levels of calcium , alk and trace elements.

I shoot for 1.026

Instruments :

Hydrometer - used once as a beginner before I knew better and tossed it

Refractometer- this is what most people use it’s only about 40 dollars and if you calibrate it with the solution that it is provided it is much more accurate 

Milwaukee Digital Refractometer- 

costs about 100 to 150 dollars. Well worth it in my opinion and this is what I use now as it is much more precise then relying on my eyes that are not what they used to be. 

Many of you also use an Apex and monitor salinity daily with a salinity probe. I find that big fluctuations in salinity can be detrimental like when your auto top off over fills and drops your salinity. I believe this is what killed Steve Weast's tank back in the day. Happened to me and have to admit the controller was nice because I caught it in time so no corals were harmed but I don’t use an Apex right now as monitoring something 24/7 makes me crazy 😜.

Inverts particularly those blue linkias everyone loves and certain more sensitive fish like wrasses can also be sensitive to salinity so consider drip acclimating them. 

I would be curious everyone’s thoughts experience. This is my personal experience. 

13 minutes ago, CuttleFishandCoral said:

Use ur tongue to determine the correct salinity. 

I use  two refractometers calibrated daily and also a Hanna handheld to double check. 1.025. The Milwaukee meter is probably the most accurate. Mine didn't last long though. 

Yeah there not made to be dropped................ :D

Mine never comes out of the case............

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CuttleFishandCoral said:

Use ur tongue to determine the correct salinity. 

I use  two refractometers calibrated daily and also a Hanna handheld to double check. 1.025. The Milwaukee meter is probably the most accurate. Mine didn't last long though. 

Definitely have to be careful with the Milwaukee but I love the accuracy. 
I just have a tougher time reading the lines in the refractometer these days with my older eyes 👀. Love the digital reading.

I had a recent issue with salinity. I had been calibrating my refracto with one solution that I found was actually reading 1.023 even though it is suppose to read 1.026. Needless to say, my salinity was way off, not only on my tanks, but when I did water changes it kept getting worse. All I lost was 1 small sps frag that already was questionable thankfully. I think I caught it in enough time before any serious long term damage was done. However, I am now starting over with my dosing because of the obvious changes in parameters. Also, I have noticed some interesting algae issues that I can’t help but think are related. 
I have been tossing around the idea of a Milwaukee, but I don’t know that it would fix the issue I had with calibration fluid. I guess I’ll sit and wait til the time is right. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, reef-fisher said:

I had a recent issue with salinity. I had been calibrating my refracto with one solution that I found was actually reading 1.023 even though it is suppose to read 1.026. Needless to say, my salinity was way off, not only on my tanks, but when I did water changes it kept getting worse. All I lost was 1 small sps frag that already was questionable thankfully. I think I caught it in enough time before any serious long term damage was done. However, I am now starting over with my dosing because of the obvious changes in parameters. Also, I have noticed some interesting algae issues that I can’t help but think are related. 
I have been tossing around the idea of a Milwaukee, but I don’t know that it would fix the issue I had with calibration fluid. I guess I’ll sit and wait til the time is right. 

This brings up a good point in the importance of calibration. I have had the best luck with accuracy and precision with the Milwaukee. Just like you one thing I have found the hard way is corals seem to tolerate crazy salinity swings but sadly some of my starfish didn’t fare as well. Fish do well with salinity swings as most people know from treating ich with hyposalinity. 

8 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

I would be willing to bet the hannah meter will be dead in a year.  Happened to mine.  Rinse and dried it as recommended.  Did some googling and it is a common problem. 

I loved it until it stopped working.  Use the milwaukie now.

I have not heard of the Hannah meter but what I have read is people love it but it requires frequent recalibration. For 60 bucks I might risk it.

I’ve had my green Milwaukee for years, works great! That is what I would recommend first.

My apex probe died at about the 1 year mark and decided not to bother with it again since it’s like $120...

I also have an old pinpoint salinity monitor that is dead on every time I put it in cal fluid as well as reads pretty much the same as my Milwaukee. I’m surprised more people don’t use them, but not as common as the Milwaukee.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Blue Z Reef said:

I’ve had my green Milwaukee for years, works great! That is what I would recommend first.

My apex probe died at about the 1 year mark and decided not to bother with it again since it’s like $120...

I also have an old pinpoint salinity monitor that is dead on every time I put it in cal fluid as well as reads pretty much the same as my Milwaukee. I’m surprised more people don’t use them, but not as common as the Milwaukee.

That’s an excellent point. I don’t know why pinpoint isn’t more popular either. I had the old ph probe I got from someone’s tank breakdown and it worked great.  I just lost it when I moved.