Anyone excited about Philipps Coral Care gen2?

pdxmonkeyboy

I recently saw that coral vue finally got a shipment of the new phillps led lights in.  While i am not a huge fan of LED lights these seem to me to be one of the best lights on the market.  They have addressed many of the downsides that most LEDs have.  

1. No fans!!  I never ever understood that.  Fans mean dirt, dirt means heat, heat kills.

2. Nice diffuser plate that prevents disco affects.. and there is supposedly an opening in the diffuser for the white lights to get some amount of shimmer. 

3. Built in power supply.. no mounting yet another brick

4. color that actually looks like sunlight! 

5. The are actually sized for real tanks!  They are 18x24 i think.  Watched a video and they said the used half as many compared to radions. 

• Like 3

I love the competition, we need it! 

Fascinated by the new designs, phillips is good at putting on some pressure.

That ATI @Matteo is very nice looking too.

The original Triton tank has a similar flat, all encompassing light. Ah yeah, here is is, 2012 ish

https://reefbuilders.com/2012/12/19/triton-lani-led-europes-bestkept-aquarium-lighting-secret/

Still running ORs here, never felt compelled to upgrade yet for value / performance trade offs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bicyclebill said:

You do remember they tried this a couple years ago and it was a bust. 
Hah, I love that Matteo's avatar lists his location relative to Cuttlefish!

For the price it's a little ugly of a light for me... Granted idk what's going on with SW light aesthetics. The new kessil looks like the fricken enterprise 

Edited by Matteo

I don't think I would say the initial coral care was a bust.  BRS did a video on it and it had very impressive stats in terms of spectrum and coverage.    Who knows, it really seems like whoever has better marketing rules the LED game at this point. 

Ask most reefers.. what is the best LED light for corals and I think most would say radion.  I would like to see one of these in person though. 

Agree, I would have tried the original phillips if the prices were lower.

Proof is in the puddin on all this stuff.  If you have been to a sale at @Gil&Fin and see what she can do with Ocean Revives, it makes a person pause and think about where to focus efforts and $$s

That sounds like a derail attempt though, just conversing, that's all :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1