Anyone know what these black bubbles are?

sourmashpdx

Anyone have any idea what these black bubbles cropping up on my zoas and acans are? I first noticed them on this zoa frag but now it’s on a couple of acan frags. I can’t tell if it’s something the coral is doing or if it’s a different organism? It sort of seems like it has something to do with the corals growing but idk...

CE34B613-84C6-4E5D-A95E-570FB5F1C8E0.thumb.jpeg.22e892696cdaeab8e0ab29cfd3cb45cc.jpeg

CB58808E-D49E-4D93-B1AA-35494D9B82E4.jpeg

Bubble algae is tough.  I have tried manual removal, but you have to be careful not to pop the bubbles otherwise they will further spread in your tank.  I added several emerald crabs, but they only seem to eat the bubbles occasionally.  I have reduced nitrates and phosphates, but the bubbles continue to spread.

I have heard a lot of people reporting success using Vibrant to get rid of bubble algae, but I've been hesitant to try it out of concern for my corals since I've heard mixed reviews on coral safety.  I might need to try Vibrant soon because the bubbles are continuing to spread in my tank.  I even have a snail crawling around covered in bubble algae. 😕

• Like 1

Ya, mostly the same. My trick was a siphon hose for manual removal. Get the siphon going and block with your thumb. Position over the bubble, flick the bubble off the rock into the hose and suck a little extra water, hopefully sucking any popped bits. Make it a water change while you're at it.

I do hear good things about vibrant as long as you go slow. Emerald crabs are pretty awesome, so...get one :)

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You won't spread it anymore by popping the bubbles, if you can take the coral out of the tank.....get a little bucket of water to keep dipping the coral in and push all the bubbles off with a wooden skewer. If the bubbles just pop and stay on deflated then get some tweezers and pull the deflated bubble off. 

I have used Vibrant in a 60 gallon frag tank. It Eradicated all the bubble alge, i am not sure if i would ever use it again. Cyno, diatoms, used Doctor Tims One & Only and it set the tank straight for 3 weeks, then more cyno.  No Bubble alge to this day but i feel it messed with the biological side of things.....imo

Edited by MrBret
  • Like 1

Love rock enhance might be worth a shot. It did seem to loosen a bunch of detritus from my rockwork's insides (blowing with a powerheads after dosing it and mb7 for a few weeks)

Any ill effects to your corals, mainly sps? I've heard of 'Live Rock Enhance' and been wanting to give it shot.

Sent from Atlantis 🤙

I used Vibrant to eradicate the bubble algae in my tank. It did work. However, I had a major Dino bloom afterwards. Personally, I’d much rather fight algae then dinoflagellates! I have a emerald crab that eats it. Also heard that magnificent rabbit fish will eat it. Although, I have not personally experienced this.

• Like 1

Any ill effects to your corals, mainly sps? I've heard of 'Live Rock Enhance' and been wanting to give it shot.

Sent from Atlantis [emoji1690]

My only SPS at the time was a Monti spongodes frag, but it's as happy as ever.
Melev uses it, recommends it constantly, and has a gorgeous SPS-packed mixed reef. I don't particularly know if it helps with bubble algae, but at this point, I think I'll dose every several weeks as a part of regular maintenance.

• Like 1

My only SPS at the time was a Monti spongodes frag, but it's as happy as ever.
Melev uses it, recommends it constantly, and has a gorgeous SPS-packed mixed reef. I don't particularly know if it helps with bubble algae, but at this point, I think I'll dose every several weeks as a part of regular maintenance.

One further note, it has been known to "tickle" corals when first dosed so they pull in, mostly noticed with softies like leathers. Presumed it's because the dry particles are a little weird, probably can be minimized if you get it fully dissolved in team water before dosing, but it isn't worth the trouble for me. I don't mind my toadstool pulling in for a few hours, especially because I don't dose it very often.
My fish actually eat the stuff out of the water column :)

• Like 1

From my experience Emerald crabs do not do much to the bigger size bubbles. Generally when I had them I would remove them while siphoning during a water change and not worry about popping them. Once you get rid of the bigger ones the crabs do a pretty good job at keeping new ones at bay. That and rabbit fish. Also sometimes Desjardini Sailfin tangs. I currently have Emeralds and a Sailfin with no issues for several months.

Cheers