Pipefish trapped in overflow

SuncrestReef

I removed the weir from my overflow for 2 minutes to clean it, and of course my pipefish got swept down when I wasn't looking.  Now he's stuck at the bottom of the overflow and I'm not sure how I can get him out.  This is on a Red Sea Reefer which has 3 pipes that take up most of the space, so there's no way I can fit my hand or a net inside.

Any ideas to rescue it, or just accept the overflow as his new home?

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, xmas_one said:

Take the pipe off and dump him out?

If he is small enough to fit through the drain this is what I do although I don't know exactly how the Red Sea is put together.  In a "normal" overflow, I just unscrew the stand pipe from the bulkhead in the bottom of the overflow so the whole volume drains out.  You may want to keep some flow going to help flush him through the drain.  Good luck!

22 minutes ago, xmas_one said:

Take the pipe off and dump him out?

Run your return into the pipe he’s stuck in and blow him out the top?

Pics?

He's actually stuck at the bottom of the overflow box, not inside a pipe:

Screen Shot 2019-08-01 at 6.21.05 PM.png

This box is 20" deep and has 3 pipes from the top connected to bulkheads drilled through the bottom.  There's no safe way to remove the pipes from above.  I'd need to pull out my sump and unscrew the bulkheads from the bottom, which is more work than I'm willing to do.

I'm planning to use a 1" hose to try to siphon him out into a bucket.

I had the same exact thing keep happening but in my 45 gallon they will find literally any hole to get through I was sure I had made it “pipefish proof” for them but they found a way. I really  love the look of them though they’re such cool fish but I feel your pain! 

1 hour ago, xmas_one said:

Seems like you should be able to get him out with a little patience and an appropriately sized net.

Not as easy as it sounds.  Here's a diagram of the situation.  He's 20" down in a narrow box, in between 3 vertical pipes limiting access:

Screen Shot 2019-08-01 at 10.57.18 PM.png

2 minutes ago, CrabbyCrabs said:

I've got a 350 and a 170, those pipes come right out from the top but it will siphon the overflow and what's above the weir grates.

Do NOT remove the bulkhead nuts from the bottom. Those appear glued in place from the factory.

This is what I was suggesting above but didn’t know if it was possible with the Red Sea - sounds like it is. 

I used my endoscope and found him stuck in the valve.  I opened the valve all the way and that flushed him down into the sump where I can now see him, but he’s not moving.  I’ll need to empty and remove the refugium tank to be able to get him out.  Here's the video from inside the overflow pipe, and you can see at 1:24 where I opened the diaphragm valve to release him:

26 minutes ago, shaywood said:

what was your experience with this type of pipefish? Did he get along with other fish, and vice-versa? Did you have any problem getting them to start eating?

The pipefish was great.  Everyone got along, and he was eating live pods from day 1 with no problems.  I originally got the pipefish to combat my red bug infestation, but he rarely went near the corals so that didn't necessarily work out.  He just spent all day sucking up pods off the rocks, sand, and glass.  Just very fun to watch.

At the last meeting I saw they had some larger pipefish at All Things Aquarium.  I might pick up a couple to see how they do with the red bugs.  

46 minutes ago, CrabbyCrabs said:

Do they eat Frozen or other foods? Have a tank raised Mandarin that eats frozen but hunts pods all day. Do they need low flow tank?

I don't have one but have been told by an LFS that they eat frozen for them and also do OK in high flow since they don't tend to swim much compared to other pipe fish and, instead, crawl around on rocks and substrate - sort matches what Suncrest has seen with his.  FWIW

1 hour ago, shaywood said:

My reef tank is 3 and 1/2 years old, how do I know if it has enough pods to support the pipefish?

Take a close look at your rocks with a flashlight at night.  You should see quite a few tiny pods scurrying around and scattering when the light hits them.  Some will be barely big enough to see with the naked eye.  Also, if you have a refugium you probably have a pod factory in there.

If you don't have pods you can always seed your tank with a jar of pods from Algae Barn or other vendors.  The jar you receive will just look like water with a few specs of dust.  But under a microscope, you'd see thousands of tiny pods.

1 hour ago, CrabbyCrabs said:

Do they eat Frozen or other foods? Have a tank raised Mandarin that eats frozen but hunts pods all day. Do they need low flow tank?

Mine never ate any frozen food, but then again they had plenty of live pods to pick from in my tank.  Maybe if they didn't have their preferred food source they would eventually eat frozen, but I don't have any first hand experience with that.

They seem do do fine even in higher flow.  While they're not great swimmers, they are good at navigating out of the direct flow and shelter themselves behind rocks or corals that block the flow.  From there they just stay low against the rocks and get around fine.