Hello from Santa Cruz/Monteray Bay!

youcallmenny

This is the first time I've left the peninsula alone for any length of time but we needed to get out of town after my graduation.  Some surfing tonight should hit the spot.  We're going to the Monteray Bay aquarium tomorrow and I'm very excited about the open sea exhibit.  Maybe we'll run in to Sigourney Weaver... 🤣 

I'll post aquarium pictures here tomorrow.  In all seriousness this aquarium had been on my list of things to do for many years. 

😎

20190617_161413.jpg

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Krux said:

I had a membership for a few years when I was a research diver, I really miss that place, fantastic that you are going!

Any suggestions for our first trip there?  You should start a thread about that job for those of us that don't know.  I'd love to hear more.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, IntoTheMystic said:

Get ready to be blown away. That facility is fantastic. Get the behind-the-scenes tour if available. It's the kind of place that fish geeks should go by themselves. That way, you can geek out and daydream as long as you like. (Spoken from experience!)

I'm glad to hear it, especially from you Sid!  My wife and I have our three little kids with us but we also have grandma down here to take them while we go.  We were hoping for the tour but we'll make sure we do now.  

23 hours ago, youcallmenny said:

Any suggestions for our first trip there?  You should start a thread about that job for those of us that don't know.  I'd love to hear more.

I haven't been there for many years, but if they still have a sarcastic fringehead display be sure to check it out... gram for gram it is the most vicious animal in the sea, by far the greatest fish ever.

You may need to ask for help finding them, they are mud brown and the size of a hotdog.

When they first installed the million gallon tank I would sit for hours watching the bluefin tuna swim around... that is worth your time, especially if you haven't hung off of a line with 2000 feet of water below you.  I was able to see two of the whites back when they tried to keep those on display, but those days are gone.

Do report back, maybe it is time I take the wife down to visit.

• Like 1

Here you go @Krux.  Apologies about any potato-quality media.

Behold! The Sarcastic Fringehead.

20190619_132649.jpg

🌞 coral and blue-spotted Jawfish 

20190619_172611.jpg

20190619_172604.jpg

Squids with their eggs

20190619_171133.jpg

Moons

20190619_164540.jpg

20190619_164513.jpg

Mackerel

20190619_164430.jpg

Look familiar @CuttleFishandCoral?

20190619_162553.jpg

Lettuce Nudibranch

20190619_162805.jpg

Snowflake

20190619_162327.jpg

The biggest Galaxia

20190619_161804.jpg

20190619_162015.jpg

Kelp Forest feeding time

20190619_155850(1).jpg

This is the inside of a pipe.  @SuncrestReef, this is what I used to think our downpipes all looked like.

20190619_150045_HDR.jpg

20190619_142110.jpg

A truly amazing thing to witness. Godspeed momma cephalopod.

20190619_131126.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Ta-daaaaa!

Vicky took a bunch too.  There's still some more coming when we get back home.  

We took the behind the scenes tour and it was so good.  They showed us a whiteboard back by their kitchen with a Mater (Cars) saying 'I love the MBA!' It was drawn by one of the Pixar crew when they were there researching for Finding Dory and they never erased it.  I totally forgot to take a picture of that though.

We also met Hank.  He is the longest employed person in the facility and Pixar honored him by naming the octopus from the movie after him.

That last bad quality picture is a dying Giant Pacific Octopus that laid eggs.  She just sat there, sadly caressing them.  It was a breathtaking sight.

The reef area was funny.  I stumped a bunch of volunteers when I asked what kind of lights they used.  They had to radio in to ask and then couldn't pronounce 'metal halide'.  I id'd a bunch of stuff for them.  It made me feel like a reef wizard and I thought of all of you.  I told them about our club and that I was one of the lesser-accomplished and younger members.  They had no idea people grew coral for a hobby.  It was a funny conversation.

Check it off the bucket list! We will be back for sure.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, youcallmenny said:

The reef area was funny.  I stumped a bunch of volunteers when I asked what kind of lights they used.  They had to radio in to ask and then couldn't pronounce 'metal halide'.  I id'd a bunch of stuff for them.  It made me feel like a reef wizard and I thought of all of you.  I told them about our club and that I was one of the lesser-accomplished and younger members.  They had no idea people grew coral for a hobby.  It was a funny conversation.

That is hilarious and awesome! I would have loved to hear that conversation.

You should have asked them what their water parameters are! 🤣

Edited by SuncrestReef
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

That is hilarious and awesome! I would have loved to hear that conversation.

You should have asked them what their water parameters are! 🤣

I would have but I feared the answer would be 'better than yours!'  Their sps tank was pretty impressive.

• Like 2

I am glad you got to witness the sarcastic fringehead in all its hellbent glory!  One of the lab guys that I dove for had a tattoo of one... commitment.

Also, forgot about the sardine tank, that thing is awesome, and the mola mola is one of my fav pelagics, only been in the water with one once and it was surreal.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Krux said:

I am glad you got to witness the sarcastic fringehead in all its hellbent glory!  One of the lab guys that I dove for had a tattoo of one... commitment.

Also, forgot about the sardine tank, that thing is awesome, and the mola mola is one of my fav pelagics, only been in the water with one once and it was surreal.

I went looking for a hot dog fish and this thing was over a foot long and as thick as my forearm.  They had it in a ~30-40g tank.  What a nasty creature.  I'm glad to have learned about them!  Thanks for the suggestion.  I also now know how to tell the difference between Sardines and Anchovies!  Pretty cool stuff. 

10 hours ago, youcallmenny said:

I went looking for a hot dog fish and this thing was over a foot long and as thick as my forearm.  They had it in a ~30-40g tank.  What a nasty creature.  I'm glad to have learned about them!  Thanks for the suggestion.  I also now know how to tell the difference between Sardines and Anchovies!  Pretty cool stuff. 

So what your saying is a big fish :unsure: those forearms well :laugh:

Enjoy the vacation it must be nice.................

• Haha 1