Red bugs

SuncrestReef

I know the dragonface pipes will eat them, but wether they will wipe out the problem and the eggs.......not sure.  The 100% cure is using Interceptor. If you end up wanting to go that route let me know. I have a customer that had the same problem and has left over pills.

1 minute ago, MrBret said:

I know the dragonface pipes will eat them, but wether they will wipe out the problem and the eggs.......not sure.  The 100% cure is using Interceptor. If you end up wanting to go that route let me know. I have a customer that had the same problem and has left over pills.

I'm hoping to avoid the Interceptor treatment because I'd need to either move the corals into QT for treatment and then not being sure if I got all of them, or treat the whole display tank but that means removing all my shrimp and crabs.  There's no way I could catch the pistol shrimp without removing all my rock work.

• Like 1

I would try to get out the shrimp but would definitely go the interceptor route. I did it one time and it was one of the easiest and most effective treatments for a pest I’ve probably used. Hard to get some though, usually people find it through others, maybe Brian can help you out.

Maybe someone out there had a trap DIY for shrimp...not sure?

5 hours ago, viper55 said:

At the price of some of my acros I would rather kill my shrimp snails and crabs lol

My wife is more attached to the pistol shrimp than she is to the corals.  Since I also don't want to completely tear up my rockscape to get the shrimp out, I'm going to pursue the pipefish strategy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had red bugs at the beginning of this year, just finished my 3rd round of full tank Interceptor treatment.   Besides catching my shrimp and crabs, the easiest and most successful treatment yet.   12hrs after first dose, all red bugs were gone.   turned skimmer back on and started carbon.  No residual effects.

Hardest parts by far was catching my six shrimp (caught 5 of 6, last one couldn't catch - and has survived so far)    Grabbed all my hermits and xferred to a friends tank.

My recommendation, spend your time trying to catch your favorite shrimp, and then Whole Tank Interceptor.

BTW, our vet was very helpful and gave us a script and then sold us Interceptor Plus.  Internet research said there's no issue using I-Plus.

-David J. O'Brien