New buddy

Jack-the-reefer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, lewisriverfisherman said:

Hey Jack any updates on this here little feller?

Thanks for asking! I always forget how terrible I am at updating threads. 

He's doing great though. He's been eating frozen consistently for about a month now. His name is grumbledore, and he's the most handsome guy in the house. 

6854EC61-A4A7-4274-9A4E-B32B4F375684.jpeg

Edited by Jack-the-reefer
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Jack-the-reefer said:

Thanks for asking! I always forget how terrible I am at updating threads. 

He's doing great though. He's been eating frozen consistently for about a month now. His name is grumbledore, and he's the most handsome guy in the house. 

6854EC61-A4A7-4274-9A4E-B32B4F375684.jpeg

Blends in really well.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Jack-the-reefer said:

I found grumbledore dead today. The little dummy tried to eat a fire shrimp that was bigger than him a few days ago. He threw the shrimp up yesterday, but I think it was too much stress for him. 

Bummer. 

Oh man... that is sad.  Sorry to hear of his demise - especially as he seemed to be doing so well.  Note to self - don't try to eat whole fire shrimp.

Thanks guys.

He definitely wasn't underfed. These fish will actually keep eating, whether they need it or not, if food is available. If they overeat too much, the food decomposes in their stomach faster than they can digest it. This results in a gas bubble that often kills them. 

I knew the shrimp was a gonner eventually, just thought he would wait a while. 

They don't deal with stress all that well. The are actually surprisingly delicate little fish considering they look like the kraken. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jack-the-reefer said:

Thanks guys.

He definitely wasn't underfed. These fish will actually keep eating, whether they need it or not, if food is available. If they overeat too much, the food decomposes in their stomach faster than they can digest it. This results in a gas bubble that often kills them. 

I knew the shrimp was a gonner eventually, just thought he would wait a while. 

They don't deal with stress all that well. The are actually surprisingly delicate little fish considering they look like the kraken. 

Interesting and definitely explains why they are hard to keep.  Wonder if Scott still has his @spectra

7 hours ago, albertareef said:

Interesting and definitely explains why they are hard to keep.  Wonder if Scott still has his @spectra

No mine croaked a while ago.........tank was re booted with a yashi and a shrimp......its an exciting tank you never see them.......

Sorry to hear about the little guy Jack.

• Sad 1