Where to buy Python type tubing?

Willapa

I need about 30' of 1/2" ID tubing to run from my water change station to my tank. The standard vinyl tubing is kinda stiff and wanted something like what the python water change tubes are made out of. It's really supple and rolls up nice without any memory. I don't think it's silicone. The silicone tubing is nice but super $. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah Python tubing is the best - don't know why but the other stuff you can buy is so stiff. Anyway - I have a lot of this tubing and I found that the difference in price isn't really that much. You'll probably save 15 buying regular tubing vs. just buying an extension for the python....which in the long run isn't that much to worry about if it's the better tubing.

Thanks! I'll try those ideas. Part of me is leaning towards running a few permanent pex lines between the water station and tank. One for fresh saltwater, one for top off, and another hooked to my manifold for emptying tank water. Sure would eliminate dragging buckets around.

5 minutes ago, Willapa said:

Thanks! I'll try those ideas. Part of me is leaning towards running a few permanent pex lines between the water station and tank. One for fresh saltwater, one for top off, and another hooked to my manifold for emptying tank water. Sure would eliminate dragging buckets around.

I set up my system from day one with 1/4" tubing inside a conduit running from my sump through the wall to my mixing station in the garage for automated water changes and ATO.  That was probably the smartest thing I did in my whole setup.  Aside from when I first filled my tank and did a 100% water change after cycling, I've never needed to drag a hose or buckets into the house.

IMG_2593.JPG

IMG_2764.jpg

• Like 2

I set up my system from day one with 1/4" tubing inside a conduit running from my sump through the wall to my mixing station in the garage for automated water changes and ATO.  That was probably the smartest thing I did in my whole setup.  Aside from when I first filled my tank and did a 100% water change after cycling, I've never needed to drag a hose or buckets into the house.
IMG_2593.thumb.JPG.56cea15c14c6cecad2932b6229b3aef2.JPG
IMG_2764.thumb.jpg.1eb84589b7ef3be884a03d07b811d26f.jpg

You use that Apex dosing pump for the water changes? How does that work, does it feed fresh saltwater as it empties the tank? Do you have to change more than you normally would since the freshwater is getting diluted with tank water as it's running? Yea, I would love to kiss buckets goodbye!

10 minutes ago, Willapa said:

You use that Apex dosing pump for the water changes? How does that work, does it feed fresh saltwater as it empties the tank? Do you have to change more than you normally would since the freshwater is getting diluted with tank water as it's running? Yea, I would love to kiss buckets goodbye!

The Apex is programmed to run one pump on the DOS to drain 1.5 gallons of water from the sump between 9am - 10:30am through the black tubing into the utility sink.  Then at 10:30am - noon the other DOS pump adds 1.5 gallons of new saltwater back to the sump through the orange tubing from the 75 gallon storage tank on the left.  During this whole time, the Apex has the ATO pump disabled so it doesn't try to top off the missing water.  The ATO pump is located inside the 75 gallon RO/DI tank on the right in that photo and feeds fresh water through the blue tubing.  

I have optical sensors in each of the 75 gallon storage tanks so the Apex can alert me when either one is low.  It will disable the auto water change if there is insufficient saltwater to complete the cycle.

During the water change process the water level in my sump return chamber drops about 3 inches, but there's still plenty of water for the return pump to run.  

Edited by SuncrestReef
  • Like 1

The Apex is programmed to run one pump on the DOS to drain 1.5 gallons of water from the sump between 9am - 10:30am through the black tubing into the utility sink.  Then at 10:30am - noon the other DOS pump adds 1.5 gallons of new saltwater back to the sump through the orange tubing from the 75 gallon storage tank on the left.  During this whole time, the Apex has the ATO pump disabled so it doesn't try to top off the missing water.  The ATO pump is located inside the 75 gallon RO/DI tank on the right in that photo and feeds fresh water through the blue tubing.  
I have optical sensors in each of the 75 gallon storage tanks so the Apex can alert me when either one is low.  It will disable the auto water change if there is insufficient saltwater to complete the cycle.
During the water change process the water level in my sump return chamber drops about 3 inches, but there's still plenty of water for the return pump to run.  

Oh gotcha. Just small, frequent changes. I'll check it out, thanks!

I use food grade vinyl tubing from hydroponic stores. it is flexible and usually doesn't kink too much. plus its black so it doesn't grow algae in it.

If you go to bloom, tell them you are buying it on the devils lettuce or kilowatt account. we have a wholesale plus 10% account.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

9 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

I use food grade vinyl tubing from hydroponic stores. it is flexible and usually doesn't kink too much. plus its black so it doesn't grow algae in it.

If you go to bloom, tell them you are buying it on the devils lettuce or kilowatt account. we have a wholesale plus 10% account.

Cool of you Brian.  I will have to remember that next time i need some tubing!

Cool, thanks man! I'm sure I could pick up some other things too!

13 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Uhh, who/what/where is the bloom you refer to?