Trailermann

Easy question:  Can you reuse granulated carbon?  Of course, it has a limited life, but I am talking about putting it in the sump for a few days, removing it for a week or so, then dropping it back in.  Does it need to be kept wet, or should it be rinsed out with RO water between uses?

I think the reason is due to how carbon functions as a filter.  As I understand it, carbon has lots of porous surface that traps gunk in it.  Without a way to then remove said gunk from the carbon I'm not sure it can be reused.   

If there is a way to clean the carbon after use I'd sure like to know though! 

• Like 1

On 12/26/2017 at 3:28 PM, Trailermann said:

Of course it cannot be reused after it is exhausted.  If the carbon has a usable life of two weeks and I just use it for three days, can it be stored and used again?

Still wondering if the carbon can be reused several times before it is depleted.  Am I the only one so cheap that he does not want to throw away potentially useful media?

I feel it is possible to clean activated carbon with Hydrochloric acid, as the acid will dissolve the organic compounds. Resulting in clean carbon media, I would be curious to see if this works as it is how carbon is cleaned in factories. Not sure if this is something worth looking at as it would be harmful if not done correctly.
Probably just cheaper to buy new.

• 11 months later...
2 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

old post, but i do know the answer to this one. it is easily regenerated by heating it in an oven to 800C in a controlled environment to prevent it from igniting. tadah!! activated carbon.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I think it'd be shot. Probably make a lot of carbon dioxide at that temp.

It isn't the same as a aluminum or iron oxide (metal) catalyst, but it would probably regenerate a good amount.

I buy cheap un-granulated carbon and throw it in when I see high nitrates, but eventually didn't even need to use it any more. It's also so cheap and bi-product of stuff. You know?

Edited by milesmiles902
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

You're right.  My comment was inappropriate.  My apologies to the OP.

It's a fair question too.  I am big on DIY and saving $$ for other hobbies or more frags!  Had no idea you could bake carbon.  Pretty sure my oven doesn't go that hot though...

I'm just confused on how to end up with partially used carbon.  I change my reactor out once a month.  It would never occur to me to use it for a couple of days, switch it out with fresh carbon and then come back and use the dirty carbon later.  Is there some use outside of the 24/7 flow in the reactor that I don't know about? 

1 minute ago, youcallmenny said:

I'm just confused on how to end up with partially used carbon.  I change my reactor out once a month.  It would never occur to me to use it for a couple of days, switch it out with fresh carbon and then come back and use the dirty carbon later.  Is there some use outside of the 24/7 flow in the reactor that I don't know about? 

Guessing here... I think some people run it periodically for specific reasons but not all the time?  Like a spot treatment for something?  Maybe in a carbon bag, in the sump instead of the reactor?  It's a good question though!

I haven't ran carbon or GFO in a long time, been kind of a lazy reefer...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheClark said:

Guessing here... I think some people run it periodically for specific reasons but not all the time?  Like a spot treatment for something?  Maybe in a carbon bag, in the sump instead of the reactor?  It's a good question though!

I haven't ran carbon or GFO in a long time, been kind of a lazy reefer...

That's kind of what I was wondering.  It's just a strange question for me because it's so out of line with how I use the product.  I didn't use carbon for the first year on my new tank and have regretted it but it's always been a large factor in my nutrient removal system.  

I don't run carbon in the wifes tank but the skimmer was still foaming after chemiclean so I threw a bag i there.  I also throw carbon in when I have to do a big cleaning or something where I am worried about skin oils (I am super oily. lol) getting in the tank.   I think those are examples of temporary use of carbon. 

I do run carbon full time in my big tank.  Mostly because I don't do a whole lot of water changes and I am worried about fish hormones, coral warefare chemicals, smoke from my fireplace,  boogers, pretty much anything that drifts into the big open top of my aquarium.   Seems like cheap insurance to me, but I suppose it could be a waste of money but I don't think that is the case.   

I would be down with a big group buy for like a 50lb bag of rox carbon but I don't know how much money it would save. 

• Like 1