1,500-W Bathtub heater for my Reef Tank?

N70SJ

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?20-Read-this-first-Energy-Bars-and-outlets

I guess according to this they are rated at 15 amps. So it should still be fine. Even running per continous duty at 80% it would only be .5 amps over. Which realalistically would be fine and I doubt the heater will be on for a 3 hour period without turning off at least once.

• Like 1

Outlets 4 and 8 on an EB8 are rated at 10A max. All the others are 5A max. The whole EB8 is rated at 15A max. So, the max wattage heater you could run would be 1100w on either outlet 4 or 8.

You are correct I quick browsed that didn't realize it was the entire bar. Although on an eb4. It looks like #3 is a 12a

So if my Apex outlets # 4 & 8 can have a max load of 10 amps each , which is 1,200 Watts then I can't control ANY single item over 1,200 Watts on my Neptune Apex Controller. Does that seem right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I need to hook up two 1,000W heaters. One in outlet 4 and one in outlet 8.

Can't do that either, the whole EB8 has a max load of 15A,two 1000 watt heaters would be 18A @ 110VAC.

Edit:

If you need 2kW worth of heaters I would suggest you run four 500W titanium heaters with individual controllers. Set your Apex to notify you in case of a temp swing high or low and that should be good enough. If one heater goes wonky (stuck on or burns out) you still have 3 heaters working properly and any swing would be slow/minimal.

Edited by xmas_one
  • Like 1

My main house Heat/AC has registers to the sump room. The problem is its expensive to heat my house up to 75 degrees when Im out of town.

Could you possibly add a cadet heater on a thermostat wouldn't take much for that small insulated room to heat to the temp you wanted. Other than that or running 4 500w's as suggested out would need a dedicated circuit for that load and something to control it. Or maybe a profilux controller which I believe can have larger relays @16a due to the fact it's built like an industrial plc. From what I was reading in r2r's controller comparison thread. Edited by Vance164

One thing to consier. You can use APEX to power a relay, which handles the bigger load. Guys do that for big pumps too...

Still would overload his main relay being that the bar is only rated for 15a. Which is most likely that way because standard home circuits are only 15amps. But if you brought line voltage to the reply from a separate circuit you could use the apex to send control voltage to switch the the relay on and off based off the temp probe. Edited by Vance164

Just to be clear, I am talking about the APEX running a relay that takes a few watts.  

The relay switches the big amps off and on taking the load completely out of the apex.

In this scenario an APEX could handle well over 8000 watts with a relay on each outlet.  (which would or course require multiple circuits).

Here is one you can buy off of the shelf.  This completely offloads your apex:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reefkeeper-expansion-socket-digital-aquatics.html

This is just a relay in a box, controlled by your apex.

One plug goes in the wall, that is where you get your 15 amp. 

One plug goes in the apex, that is where you get your control.

Plug the heaters (up to 1800w) into the box.

If you need another 1800w, buy another relay, and of course run another circuit.

Here is one you can buy off of the shelf. This completely offloads your apex:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reefkeeper-expansion-socket-digital-aquatics.html

This is just a relay in a box, controlled by your apex.

One plug goes in the wall, that is where you get your 15 amp.

One plug goes in the apex, that is where you get your control.

Plug the heaters (up to 1800w) into the box.

If you need another 1800w, buy another relay, and of course run another circuit.

Awesome perfect awnser!

• Like 1